Rolling Thunder Forums

The Galactic Senate

EternusIV

Locklyn asked about the Senate in the sticky thread so I thought I'd reply in a separate thread down here (since I alomst forgot the sticky existed!...which tells you how the Senate has been :cheers:)

I take no offense that the Senate ultimately failed and in fact, reserve a sense of pride that we were able to have some fun with it while it lasted. I got a much greater kick out of reading other people's proposals than the responses to my own. :P

Looking back I can only see how unworkable the Senate was. Enforcement and ivestigation became too bureaucratic and required the analysis of actual PDFs to get to the truth. The Senate would only have true powers if the universe were a LOT more tight-knit, allowing Senators to quickly exact justice on those who violate terms etc.

Where the senate ultimately succeeded was in drawing out those who couldn't stand it. I never had a problem with others making the Senate a target....but to use the Senate's obvious weaknesses against itself was entirely unnecessary in my view.

I think something akin to the Senate would be something that would add tremendous flavor to the game if moderated on the GM-side of things (Its far too much to ask of our GMs and I never once suggested it.)

All in all, I met some cool people through the Senate and personally think the boards are missing a little something without it. the main reason I vanished was that I was relly really busy (and still am for the most part)

I guess we still have a Senate: these forums. Sure, we don't pass bylaws and point out the bad guys who violate them....but we are still able to vow for justice and share ideas and I suppose the avenue is good enough for what it is :cheers:

With that said, I would be very open to any ideas that could ressurect the Senate. I would aim to make things less formal and more roleplay-friendly. I think the expectations would have to be VERY clear: "The Senate exists for purposes of roleplaying only and has no real power to enforce any of its laws (yet)"

I have to admit...the mere mention of Cloaking Devices immediately conjured up a vision of a crowded, freakish Senate floor passing resolutions to ban their use :drunk:

Who knows? I imagine the Senate will pop up again in a few years where we have sections of space where more than 10 empires frequent with their Mk III Antimatter devices, Planetary Gates etc.

Who knows? I imagine the Senate will pop up again in a few years where we have sections of space where more than 10 empires frequent with their Mk III Antimatter devices, Planetary Gates etc.

I doubt it will, as the reasons you stated will still be valid then.

On the other hand I think the collapse of the Senate and the way it happened also contributed to the demise of the Forum which has been pretty slow until recently. Without some of the folks posting their battles and a few of the new folk asking questions this board would have been dead so kudos to those who kept posting. :angry2:

Ali speaks well, we believe. Rome has shunned the boards for quite some time, but the realization came that by not posting or keeping up, it simply serves to diminish the game...and the fun. So we posted our last battle in efforts to do our little bit to enliven things. We encourage others to post as well and keep things lively.

I too am glad for that and will ensure that the GGT come across with some news from our Vietarmis region of space even though it is quite quiet because everyone keeps dropping.

:cheers:

/Locklyn