Rolling Thunder Forums

Towing

Prospective

How exactly does towing work? Lets say that I build a ship with a "Tractor Power" rating of 100,000 tons. To me, that means that I should be able to tow a ship/orbital that is less than or equal to 100,000 tons.

So, if I build an orbital of 100,000 ton size over the HW and want to deploy it to guard my "resource" colony world in the home system, what do I do? What order do I issue the towing fleet to indicate it should begin towing the orbital fleet? Or, do I simply transfer the orbital into the "towing" fleet, execute a NM order, and the orbital will move along with the fleet? That seems to make the most sense but can someone confirm that for me. Are there any limitations as to what can be towed? I think I recently read that you can't tow a fleet through a WP, but can you issue a MOVe order to bring the orbital to a WP?

Thanks.

Prospective,

Tractor rating in a fleet (Ie ships with that capacity) means that you can add Orbitals to that fleet that would normaly not be able to move on account of them having no engines and then move them. Thus you RN an orbital into a fleet that has a certain total tractor rating (say you have six ships capable of each pulling 100000 tons) this means you can add a total of up to 600000 tons of orbitals to that fleet and then either NM or MOVE the fleet to where you wish the orbitals and then you can RN them to a new fleet there.

For movement through a WP with an orbital you need...ahem...other equipment :angry2:

:blink:

/Locklyn

How exactly does towing work?  Lets say that I build a ship with a "Tractor Power" rating of 100,000 tons.  To me, that means that I should be able to tow a ship/orbital that is less than or equal to 100,000 tons. 

So, if I build an orbital of 100,000 ton size over the HW and want to deploy it to guard my "resource" colony world in the home system, what do I do?  What order do I issue the towing fleet to indicate it should begin towing the orbital fleet?  Or, do I simply transfer the orbital into the "towing" fleet, execute a NM order, and the orbital will move along with the fleet?  That seems to make the most sense but can someone confirm that for me.  Are there any limitations as to what can be towed?  I think I recently read that you can't tow a fleet through a WP, but can you issue a MOVe order to bring the orbital to a WP?

Thanks.

You've got it right, we believe....

Put Orbitals (or perhaps Starships with no engines), but not (we hope :angry2: ) Surface/Aquatic/Subterranean Fortresses into the fleet with the Towing ability (RN order).

NM to another orbit or MOVE to a WP. The towing ships need enough towing ability to move the 'ships' without manoevre engines.

Then RN the Orbitals back out again to the fleet you're going to leave there.

There are some issues with the towing functionality though, but then you get the Oracle to move them for you....

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

There has been problems with both towing not working at all and that tractor ratings have been incorrect. This has been brought to Petes attention way back both on threads on the boards and in emails and there still has not been a reply to this though Pete has been moving them manually, no clue to what the problem is though.

:cheers:

/Locklyn

There has been problems with both towing not working at all and that tractor ratings have been incorrect. This has been brought to Petes attention way back both on threads on the boards and in emails and there still has not been a reply to this though Pete has been moving them manually, no clue to what the problem is though.

cheers.gif

I have not seen this issue and I am towing. If Pete has been doing this manually, it has been transparent.