Rolling Thunder Forums

Alliances

Drasn

I've heard of the PA, and the Galactic Senate (defunct??), and a few others here and there. As a new player I recognize that I could gain a lot from joining an established alliance, but I don't know what my options are!

Please forgive me ahead of time. I realize this is probably going to start a flame war. That's not my intent. What I'd really like is a simple inventory. Yeah, I know, I hear the phrase 'snowballs chance' floating around the back of my brain too. Well here are my questions anyway.

What are the known major alliances / political structures in the game?

Who opposes who?

What recruitment / membership policies do each have?

Can there be any assurance that if a noob joined an alliance that they wouldn't find all of their neighbors to be long standing members of the opposing alliance?

Is it better to remain free of associations until you've met your neighbors, or is the benefit of an alliance something to be gained as early as possible?

Thanks!

The Galactic Senate was never an alliance but rather a collection of like minded individuals who sought to create some order in the chaos by establishing certain norms. Unfortunately they were unable to enforce the norms they sought to establish. (I was and am a member as the Senate is dormant, not dead.)

There are also several information sharing alliances. These only require that you share all of your ANZs and INSTs.

Can there be any assurance that if a noob joined an alliance that they wouldn't find all of their neighbors to be long standing members of the opposing alliance?

No assurance of anything as noone really knows how the universe fits together except for Pete.

Is it better to remain free of associations until you've met your neighbors, or is the benefit of an alliance something to be gained as early as possible?

The informational alliances are typically not political in nature so it is safe to join one (This is true for the one I belong to at least.) Otherwise you should be careful with whom you ally until you have met some of your neighbors.

The Galactic Senate was never an alliance but rather a collection of like minded individuals who sought to create some order in the chaos by establishing certain norms. Unfortunately they were unable to enforce the norms they sought to establish. (I was and am a member as the Senate is dormant, not dead.)

ETERNUS: How do you do, good lady. I am ETERNUS, Chairman of the

Senate. Who's Starbase is that?

WOMAN: Chairman of the who?

ETERNUS: The Senate.

WOMAN: Who are the Senate?

ETERNUS: Well, we all are. we're all in the Senate and I am your Chairman.

WOMAN: I didn't know we had a Chairman. I thought we were an

autonomous collective.

DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship.

A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--

WOMAN: Oh there you go, bringing class into it again.

DENNIS: That's what it's all about if only people would--

ETERNUS: Please, please good people. I am in haste. Who lives

in that Starbase?

WOMAN: No one live there.

ETERNUS: Then who is your lord?

WOMAN: We don't have a lord.

ETERNUS: What?

DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We

take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

ETERNUS: Yes.

DENNIS: But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified

at a special biweekly meeting.

ETERNUS: Yes, I see.

DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal

affairs,--

ETERNUS: Be quiet!

DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--

ETERNUS: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?

ETERNUS: I am your Chairman!

WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.

ETERNUS: You don't vote for Chairmen.

WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become Chairman then?

ETERNUS: The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the

purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of

the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, ETERNUS, was to

carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your Chairman!

DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing

swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive

power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some

farcical aquatic ceremony.

ETERNUS: Be quiet!

DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power

just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

ETERNUS: Shut up!

DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an emperor just

because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd

put me away!

ETERNUS: Shut up! Will you shut up!

DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

ETERNUS: Shut up!

DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

ETERNUS: Bloody peasant!

DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear

that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing

me, you saw it didn't you?

As a new player I recognize that I could gain a lot from joining an established alliance, but I don't know what my options are!

As to the ahemm newbie question... Personally speaking, I felt it made a lot of sense (newbie to newbie :D ). Never thought to ask it and the current replys give me a lot to think about. --- sides, anyone who quotes Monty is alright in my books :D

Larry

Gwydff Empire

You will also find that what sort of Empires you encounter in your part of the galaxy will be an important part of alliance making as many Empires decide to make local defense and trade alliances, Vietarmis is one such grouping dedicating to keeping the peace in the Vietarmis region of space :D

:D

/Locklyn

The way the game is designed, its difficult to maintain security and accountability in large 'meta' alliances such as the PA. Core members remain however, but I believe the PA has whittled down considerably in member size since its inception (off the top of my head....Ed and Martin both left recently leaving Norm and a couple others)

Lets not forget that several changes were made to SN II to prevent large meta-alliances from dominating the game: the map, warp points etc. Thus the power of a meta-alliance is limited to information exchange (which is still a tremendous perk)

Nobody has mentioned the fine allianceship of the folks formerly known as the GSL (perhaps the longest standing 'alliance') :ranting: My guess is that the remnants of the GSL have reorganized with much tighter security, a stronger focus and some grand encouragement in light of their recent success.

The Galactic Senate was completely open-ended by design.....if someone wanted to pass a 'law', all they had to do was propose it, have it seconded and voted upon by the rest of the members. The core philosophy of the Senate was to resolve differences between other 'alliances' The Senate was open to anyone...and in fact, still is. :D The problem, as pointed out by esteemed Senator Ali-t-akua, was that enforcement of the law was indeed problematic. I think the Senate's viability will be determined by how quickly and diligent empires are in mapping their local space....which brings up the most important 'alliance' availabe in the game.

Neighborhood Watch System (NWS) <_<

There are several small 'neighborhood' alliances out there that are more than happy to fly under the public radar of the Galactic Forum. I was privileged to maintain a cordial relationship with one said 'neighborhood' alliance that served its purpose quite nicely.

Neighborhood alliances get results! :ranting:

If you are a newer player, be patient and start surveying your area ASAP.....there are others out there (much closer than we originally thought) Having neighbors really increases the quality of the game.

Of course, you could aim to be on the most wanted list and ignore the whole Neighborhood Watch System...after all, a NWS needs something to watch out for!

Good gaming 2 you :woohoo::D

There are also quite some alliances that came into existence when empires met each other, but they will only accept members of neighbouring empires.

Good fun to read a part of "The quest for the holy grail" again, never saw Eternus as Arthur though. :D

I think that the early meta-alliances were formed in a time when everyone was trying to figure out mechanics, etc.

Now that most of this stuff is fairly widely known, its been my experience so far that the most practical alliances are the neighbors you run into.

That is where I would say your actual, functional alliance begins, so think on that when setting your encounter ROE's, etc, and your diplomatic behavior, and either form or join a regional working group that can evolve into a viable alliance on your own!

JM2CW,

Tom

JM2CW = Just My Two Cent's Worth

I've heard of the PA, and the Galactic Senate (defunct??), and a few others here and there. As a new player I recognize that I could gain a lot from joining an established alliance, but I don't know what my options are!

Please forgive me ahead of time. I realize this is probably going to start a flame war. That's not my intent. What I'd really like is a simple inventory. Yeah, I know, I hear the phrase 'snowballs chance'  floating around the back of my brain too. Well here are my questions anyway.

What are the known major alliances / political structures in the game?

Who opposes who?

What recruitment / membership policies do each have?

Thanks!

Personally, I would suggest that you avoid joining any kind of far flung military alliance. I mean, it's nice that you're all friends but if you don't actually connect to one another how much help are they going to be when the Blue Meenies show up on your doorstep to pound you? :ranting:

I am all for joining with your neighbors into some kind of mutual trade and defense organization. <_< It's no fun to drink alone. :woohoo:

-SK :D

PS - Any rumors about a Secret Intergalactic Ninja Society (S.I.N.S.) are completely unfounded. :D

PS - Any rumors about a Secret Intergalactic Ninja Society (S.I.N.S.) are completely unfounded. 

I've heard the legends about the great white ninja, Haru (sp?) :angry::cheers: