Rolling Thunder Forums

Space Battles on a Grant Scale!

NeilGartner

If its tonnage your looking for.. the largest warship involved in a battle and posted was a ship

called The Guilded Cage'. weighing in at 7.5 million tons she put up one hell of a fight before

going down with all hands. all told there was over 10 million tons of ships involved.

Very cool... B)

That's exactly what I wanted to see! I did a search and found the battle report for the 'Guilded Cage' on this forum and posted it here for all newcomers to read it: Celebration of Grand Admiral Prestor Hahn, The Guilded Cage torments us no longer

That was a HUGE ship! I just wish they included the technical detail on its design to gain a better understanding of it. Here I am struggling to design and construct my first million ton battleship (or carrier). Definitely will be turtling for a while still. :ninja:

As your tech goes up your ships get smaller.  It also makes less sense to build really big ships with the current targeting situation.  Large battles will likely have 100's of screening ships and other flotsam as well as several Monitor size ships. 

:ninja:

Sir Hobnob,

Not too sure I agree with you. True Bridge systems and Enginnes are getting more efficient, while remaining the same size but from my track effective weapons sstems are slowly getting larger, with the advent of some very effective armours, the smaller weapon systems wil be almost completely ineffecive in a year or so making the 1000 ton corvette usless for anything other than a target. Once the mythical spinal mount wepons come out then things will get very interesting

T'Lariss

but from my track effective weapons sstems are slowly getting larger, with the advent of some very effective armours, the smaller weapon systems wil be almost completely ineffecive in a year or so making the 1000 ton corvette usless for anything other than a target.

I concur :ninja: Which is why specialization and trade will soon become more important than taking over the neighboring dropped empire.

What good are your Gazillion Resources unless you can make items that can be effective against your enemy?

Luckily, we are ALL in the same boat. B)

I design ships to have certain characteristics and the size goes down as tech goes up. Until there is a need for a truly massive ship you will probably be just fine in the 1-3M ton range. Being able to overkill something 100X rather than 10X really isn't all that beneficial. However, having more ships that can each hold their own is better than having a single behemoth that can only be at one place at a time.

1000 ton corvettese were never menat to be real ships. They are a necessity based on the targeting system otherwise they would only rarely ever be built.

:ninja:B)