Rolling Thunder Forums

Range: Beam??

rotor911

The ANZ of the weapons list their range. The way I understand it, the longer a weapon range is, the higher DEPLOC you can deploy this weapon without loss of efficiency. I have no problems with range short or medium. Some weapons have no range listed so, since these are lasers, I assume they can be deployed at any DEPLOC. But there's a range Beam which puzzles me. Webster's dictionary defines a beam as "the width of the buttocks" so it should mean a very short range :) but there are other meanings of beam which could mean the reverse. I'd like to be sure before drafting my 7 years plan so if somebody could enlighten me....

The ANZ of the weapons list their range.  The way I understand it, the longer a weapon range is, the higher DEPLOC you can deploy this weapon without loss of efficiency. I have no problems with range short or medium. Some weapons have no range listed so, since these are lasers, I assume they can be deployed  at any DEPLOC. But there's a range Beam which puzzles me. Webster's dictionary  defines a beam as "the width of the buttocks" so it should mean a very short range  :)  but there are other meanings of beam which could mean the reverse.  I'd like to be sure before drafting my 7 years plan so if somebody could enlighten me....

The order is the following:

"Point Blank" gets a bonus if deployed in deploc 1 and degrades faster on higher DepLocs

"Beam" is the normal range best deployed in deploc 1 and degrades at the normal rate

"Short" is deployed best in a higher Deploc (maybe 3) and degrades prior and after that

"Medium" is maybe at 6

"Long" may be 9

Thats the way I understood these Ranges. The missing Ranges are bugs, but up until now

are only occured at Range "Beam".

Cestvel

The ANZ of the weapons list their range.  The way I understand it, the longer a weapon range is, the higher DEPLOC you can deploy this weapon without loss of efficiency. I have no problems with range short or medium. Some weapons have no range listed so, since these are lasers, I assume they can be deployed  at any DEPLOC. But there's a range Beam which puzzles me. Webster's dictionary  defines a beam as "the width of the buttocks" so it should mean a very short range  :)  but there are other meanings of beam which could mean the reverse.  I'd like to be sure before drafting my 7 years plan so if somebody could enlighten me....

The order is the following:

"Point Blank" gets a bonus if deployed in deploc 1 and degrades faster on higher DepLocs

"Beam" is the normal range best deployed in deploc 1 and degrades at the normal rate

"Short" is deployed best in a higher Deploc (maybe 3) and degrades prior and after that

"Medium" is maybe at 6

"Long" may be 9

Thats the way I understood these Ranges. The missing Ranges are bugs, but up until now

are only occured at Range "Beam".

Cestvel

Dont forget 'Standoff' range. probably greater then 9 maybe even 12 would be a good spot for this range.

Point Blank [1], 20% dropoff per DL

Short [2], 10% dropoff per DL

Medium [5], 10% dropoff per DL

Long [8], 10% dropoff per DL

Standoff [10], 10% dropoff per DL

Short, Medium, Long, and Standoff only apply to missiles and torpedoes as far as I know. For example: Medium range missiles can be fired from a ship assigned to Deployment Location 1 through 5 with no penalty. They suffer a 10% penalty if fired from DL6. They suffer a 20% penalty if fired from DL 7. Etc.

There is a maximum penalty. I think it is 95%, but I'm not sure.

Most weapons are Beam range. Don’t let the name fool you; it’s just a name. Gauss Guns, Sonic Disruptors, and P-Cannons are “Beam” range weapons. They suffer no penalty if fired from a ship assigned to DL1, but have a 10% penalty per DL after that.

What about Drones and Fighters? Are they equally as affective from any DepLoc?

I thought all fighters and drones fought at DepLoc 1.

Say does anyone have info on what the correct value for the attack fighter is/was corrected to?

if anyone has come accross this info please email me privately or just post it here. I have been

unable to get a reply from the RTG team for at least a week regarding this :(

thanks in advance

Say does anyone have info on what the correct value for the attack fighter is/was corrected to?

if anyone has come accross this info please email me privately or just post it here. I have been

thanks in advance

Not seen it yet, but it should be 2,000 - ie 5x smaller than what it was...

If it's not, then we really don't understand........ :pirate:

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

thanks in advance

Not seen it yet, but it should be 2,000 - ie 5x smaller than what it was...

If it's not, then we really don't understand........ :pirate:

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

That sounds about where is should be. It seems weapons rated at 'good' have a 16 to 1

damage to tonnage ratio and we have been told that fighters are just a tad better in this area

so this makes sense. I just wish we could get confirmation.

I'm getting confused on Deploc and range :ninja: . Supposing that I deployed a beam weapon in Deploc 3 and that it shoots at an enemy ship deployed in Deploc 3 itself. Its efficiency should be be reduced 80 %, 40 % from my Deploc 3 to my Deploc 1 then 40 % from the enemy Deploc 1 to the enemy Deploc 3? And a medium range weapon in Deploc 5 shooting at an enemy in Deploc 10? It should be reduced 50 % (Deploc 10 - 5)? Or is only your own Deploc counted and the weapons would be respectively reduced by 40 and 0 %? or is it only the enemy Deploc which counts and the results would be 40 and 50 %?

I'm getting confused on Deploc and range :ninja: . Supposing that I deployed a beam weapon in Deploc 3 and that it shoots at an enemy ship deployed in Deploc 3 itself. Its efficiency should be be reduced 80 %, 40 % from my Deploc 3 to my Deploc 1 then 40 % from the enemy Deploc 1 to the enemy Deploc 3? And a medium range weapon in Deploc 5 shooting at an enemy in Deploc 10?  It should be reduced  50 % (Deploc 10 - 5)?  Or is only your own Deploc counted  and the weapons would be respectively reduced by 40 and 0 %? or is it only the enemy Deploc which counts and the results  would be 40 and 50 %?

Ahhh, B)

Now we get the problem of really fairly certain knowledge versus complete, but not utterly blind guesses....Pete, you feel free to jump in any time! :D

As far as we know, the specific reduction due to range applies only to the firer. So, let's take a classic 1st Gen Beam weapon - the Light Beam Laser (picked because the numbers are simple, we've seen it in battle and we've now got the new ANZ).

It has a Coherent Beam strength of 200. Now, this appears to be the strength in DepLoc2 as a figure of 220 has been seen in battle reports. Thus it's the 200 + a 10% plus for DepLoc1.

So, for your example firing from DepLoc3 it would have a 10% negative leaving a resulting strength of 180. Further DepLocs would result in 10% negatives per DL, with a minimum remaining of 10% (Str=20) for DL's 11 & 12.

Now, what happens for the target, at what's been referred to as the Defensive DepLoc effect, is less sure. A Pete post many moons ago said this was less than the firing reduction, so let's assume it's 5% per DepLoc. That figure is picked because another Pete post (and part of Eternus' big Pete Combat post summary) said that the minimum remaining strength was 5% (called 'r_eff' if we recall). This would make sense if the reduction was 5% per DepLoc with a 50% maximum reduction at DLs 11 & 12.

Thus a 10% remaining Beam weapon Strength firing from DL11 at a target at DL11 would only then hit with a 5% remaining strength (10% x 50%).

Then once it hits it could be degraded by a Coherent Defense like Reflective Armor Coating, any finally remaining points that get through that get absorbed by Force Shields, until they are used up and then it starts burning through the ship integrity points until they're all gone. We also assume there's a small random effect just for fun - otherwise it would be just numbers; as well as some effect from the Space Combat Bonus.

Now, we're rather hoping that all that is explained in the semi-legendary Naval Combat Supplement, along with an explanation of the defensive numerics we see on the battle reports and, the needed quite urgently, explanation of how we use the various Fighter and Drone tactics - especially the differences per DepLoc given that F&Ds operate at the Fleet Level......... :blink:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric and the Staff of Star Fleet HQ

I'm getting confused on Deploc and range :ninja: . Supposing that I deployed a beam weapon in Deploc 3 and that it shoots at an enemy ship deployed in Deploc 3 itself. Its efficiency should be be reduced 80 %, 40 % from my Deploc 3 to my Deploc 1 then 40 % from the enemy Deploc 1 to the enemy Deploc 3? And a medium range weapon in Deploc 5 shooting at an enemy in Deploc 10?  It should be reduced  50 % (Deploc 10 - 5)?  Or is only your own Deploc counted  and the weapons would be respectively reduced by 40 and 0 %? or is it only the enemy Deploc which counts and the results  would be 40 and 50 %?

Ahhh, B)

Now we get the problem of really fairly certain knowledge versus complete, but not utterly blind guesses....Pete, you feel free to jump in any time! :D

As far as we know, the specific reduction due to range applies only to the firer. So, let's take a classic 1st Gen Beam weapon - the Light Beam Laser (picked because the numbers are simple, we've seen it in battle and we've now got the new ANZ).

It has a Coherent Beam strength of 200. Now, this appears to be the strength in DepLoc2 as a figure of 220 has been seen in battle reports. Thus it's the 200 + a 10% plus for DepLoc1.

So, for your example firing from DepLoc3 it would have a 10% negative leaving a resulting strength of 180. Further DepLocs would result in 10% negatives per DL, with a minimum remaining of 10% (Str=20) for DL's 11 & 12.

Now, what happens for the target, at what's been referred to as the Defensive DepLoc effect, is less sure. A Pete post many moons ago said this was less than the firing reduction, so let's assume it's 5% per DepLoc. That figure is picked because another Pete post (and part of Eternus' big Pete Combat post summary) said that the minimum remaining strength was 5% (called 'r_eff' if we recall). This would make sense if the reduction was 5% per DepLoc with a 50% maximum reduction at DLs 11 & 12.

Thus a 10% remaining Beam weapon Strength firing from DL11 at a target at DL11 would only then hit with a 5% remaining strength (10% x 50%).

Then once it hits it could be degraded by a Coherent Defense like Reflective Armor Coating, any finally remaining points that get through that get absorbed by Force Shields, until they are used up and then it starts burning through the ship integrity points until they're all gone. We also assume there's a small random effect just for fun - otherwise it would be just numbers; as well as some effect from the Space Combat Bonus.

Now, we're rather hoping that all that is explained in the semi-legendary Naval Combat Supplement, along with an explanation of the defensive numerics we see on the battle reports and, the needed quite urgently, explanation of how we use the various Fighter and Drone tactics - especially the differences per DepLoc given that F&Ds operate at the Fleet Level......... :blink:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric and the Staff of Star Fleet HQ

To add to the fun, you could always just miss with the weapon system making the calculations even more exciting :blink::oops::oops: