Rolling Thunder Forums

Black Holes

WKE235

An SS order has shown a system I just jumped into is a BH (Black Hole). The Black Hole has a Gravity Well surrounding the "star" to a distance of 96.4 AU. The text

Powerful gravitational forces can sometimes create a Gravity Well Zone. Ships with weak engines that enter such an area could be sucked into whatever created the Gravity Well. This spells doom for the ship as it is crushed into the size of a small pancake in mere seconds.

The issue is: One waypoint in this system (no planets) is located within the Gravity Well. It's located at 0.3 AU from the BH (Lovely place to visit, and you never get to leave as well). I was wondering, has anyone experimented with ships to determine what is weak (and crushed) versus strong (and survive)?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side note -- I also just jumped into a system with an Ion Storm (ranging from 1.2 to 3.2 AU, covering two planets) PLUS a Massive Radiation Cloud (covering the entire system ... cough, sorry, the crew is feeling a bit ill right now).

I knew some stars might have one strange item (Heat Zone, Solar Flares, Gravity Well, Ion Storm, ...). But I've never encountered two in one system.

Obviously I'm not hitting many bright points in my explorations right now.

Well, considering that up until now I had believed that all of the special system conditions had been nothing more than game color, I am impressed that they now actually have meaning. I will have to be more careful with my ships.

(Of course WKE is impressed too, I am sure. Impressed into a little tiny spot. :nuke: )

WKE235

I believe there was a thread posted about this on the previous board. A player was wondering what happened to his pathfinder which jumped into a new system and disappeared. All sorts of rumours were flying around (one player was actually taking credit for the "kill'). It was only later, when he jumped into the same system via a different Warp Point that he discovered the cause of the destruction was a Black Hole.

But after this incident, information of Black Holes have not made it to the boards.

:nuke:

One of our ships jumped into a gravity well this cycle and was damaged, but survived. Unfortunately it was out of APs and couldn't do an SS last time.

We've issued the order this cycle and will let you know if it was, indeed, a black hole. If it was, we'll gladly post the specs on the ship that survived, though we suspect some gravity wells may be stronger than others.

So far my explorers have not found a triple threat, but the most common pairing that they have found is: Gravity Well Zone (Black Hole) and Weak Space. Although the most recent meritorius Pathfinder Medal - for bravery in the face of strange stellar phenomena - went to LT(JG) Jaroo "Plasma Vent" Maha'ai for finding a Gravity Well Zone in a Dark Nebula.

-SK :blink:

So far my explorers have not found a triple threat, but the most common pairing that they have found is: Gravity Well Zone (Black Hole) and Weak Space. Although the most recent meritorius Pathfinder Medal - for bravery in the face of strange stellar phenomena - went to LT(JG) Jaroo "Plasma Vent" Maha'ai for finding a Gravity Well Zone in a Dark Nebula.

Hehe. Physically impossible but that is not something this game worries about anyway. (Otherwise my homeworld would not have a breathable atmosphere.)

Your crew definitely have earned that medal. :blink:

Our explorers have found quite a few anomalies...

LOTS of systems with just a Hydrogen Cloud (most common single anomaly system)

Hydrogen Cloud with Corona Cloud

Hydrogen Cloud with Heat Zone

Hydrogen Cloud with Solar Flares

Radiation Cloud and Ion Storm (several of these)

Radiation Cloud with Solar Flares

Gravity Well and Dark Nebula

We believe it is simply a randomness factor in the fabric of the universe.

So far my explorers have not found a triple threat, but the most common pairing that they have found is: Gravity Well Zone (Black Hole) and Weak Space.  Although the most recent meritorius Pathfinder Medal - for bravery in the face of strange stellar phenomena - went to LT(JG) Jaroo "Plasma Vent" Maha'ai for finding a Gravity Well Zone in a Dark Nebula.

-SK  :blink:

What in the heck is "Weak Space"? Is it Space that failed to work out during it's youth before the big bang and grew up scrawny? Or maybe Space that tried becoming a stand up comic that was panned by critics with blurbs like "that space comic was so weak man"? (sort of like this blurb). And if there is "Weak" Space, then what would "Strong" Space be like? What about other catagories like "So-So" Space or "Fixer-Upper" Space?

So far my explorers have not found a triple threat, but the most common pairing that they have found is: Gravity Well Zone (Black Hole) and Weak Space.  Although the most recent meritorius Pathfinder Medal - for bravery in the face of strange stellar phenomena - went to LT(JG) Jaroo "Plasma Vent" Maha'ai for finding a Gravity Well Zone in a Dark Nebula.

-SK  :blink:

What in the heck is "Weak Space"? Is it Space that failed to work out during it's youth before the big bang and grew up scrawny? Or maybe Space that tried becoming a stand up comic that was panned by critics with blurbs like "that space comic was so weak man"? (sort of like this blurb). And if there is "Weak" Space, then what would "Strong" Space be like? What about other catagories like "So-So" Space or "Fixer-Upper" Space?

ROFL! :):ranting:;);):drunk::laugh:

Thanks for the diversion!

Octus

What in the heck is "Weak Space"?

As well as macrospace (the 3 spatial dimensions that we all recognise), there are also other spaces: electron space, weak space and strong space, which all work at the atomic level.

Now, just as an electron causes a gravity field in normal space, momentum in strong space creates forces in weak space and electric space. This is a general effect; momentum in one dimension affects every other dimension. There is an asymmetry in that smaller dimensions always have elements of momentum with larger stable values. So the smaller strong force has a greater effect on electric space than the momentums in electric space can have on strong space.

The effects on normal space from momentums in strong space, weak space or electric space always look like space time curvature, or gravity forces. The effects on electric space from momentums in strong space and weak space look like electric forces. The effects on weak space from momentums in strong space look like weak forces.

Does this help?

Good explaination, but I do not think "weak space" as it is used in this context is a reference to Brane Theory. Rather I think it is more of a pop sci fi deal where the "fabric of the space-time continum" is somehow worn down and easily broken.

I could be wrong.

What in the heck is "Weak Space"?

As well as macrospace (the 3 spatial dimensions that we all recognise), there are also other spaces: electron space, weak space and strong space, which all work at the atomic level.

Now, just as an electron causes a gravity field in normal space, momentum in strong space creates forces in weak space and electric space. This is a general effect; momentum in one dimension affects every other dimension. There is an asymmetry in that smaller dimensions always have elements of momentum with larger stable values. So the smaller strong force has a greater effect on electric space than the momentums in electric space can have on strong space.

The effects on normal space from momentums in strong space, weak space or electric space always look like space time curvature, or gravity forces. The effects on electric space from momentums in strong space and weak space look like electric forces. The effects on weak space from momentums in strong space look like weak forces.

Does this help?

Does this help?

No, not really. :python: Awesome description though. :oops:

Since according to this definition it would be impossible to find Weak Space outside of the atomic structure at a macro scale, yet a general region of system space described as "Weak Space" has been found. We can assume that traditional laws of physics don't apply to this universe. :ph34r:

So, we can throw out your whole definition in relation to this universe and the question still stands! :ninja:

What in the heck is "Weak Space"? :P