Rolling Thunder Forums

Mapping Warp Points

NeilGartner

I have two questions:

I read here that it was possible to form alliances and share technology. Is there any way to share maps between warp points that have been surveyed? For example, if I came across another player who has mapped out ten warp points that I don't have and I have twelve myself, I can't see why we can't just trade information.

Another question, how many warp points do you have in your own home system? I got three WPs, A, F and a C. Is that typical for a system to have?

Cheers :(

I read here that it was possible to form alliances and share technology. Is there any way to share maps between warp points that have been surveyed? For example, if I came across another player who has mapped out ten warp points that I don't have and I have twelve myself, I can't see why we can't just trade information.

There is no reason that you can't share the information. That is up to you. System names should allow you to correlate the WPs. My only caveat is I have not done this (and probably wouldn't unless I was allied to that person).

Another question, how many warp points do you have in your own home system? I got three WPs, A, F and a C. Is that typical for a system to have?

My understanding is the number of WPs and planets in a system are random.

I have two questions:

I read here that it was possible to form alliances and share technology.  Is there any way to share maps between warp points that have been surveyed?  For example, if I came across another player who has mapped out ten warp points that I don't have and I have twelve myself, I can't see why we can't just trade information.

Another question, how many warp points do you have in your own home system?  I got three WPs, A, F and a C.  Is that typical for a system to have?

Cheers  :drunk:

Howdy Neil

1) "Sharing" in SNROTE is all done outside of the GM database. In other words, we share information between ourselves but that doesn't alter our PDF or MDB files. So - you and your friend CAN share information....but you will both have to SS/SURV one another's systems to properly attribute the knoweldge to your empire within the SNROTE database. That make sense? :blink:

2) I've seen quite a few set-ups. It ranges from 1-8 systems (so far) :cheers:

According to my meager attempt to discern the Oracle's Great Map, I think homeworld placement is a not as carefully planned as we all might expect. There is fluxuation in number of systems between neighboring home worlds and other system attributes like star type have a nominal correlation.

My strongest suspicion? Think of your new empire as a lego....that clicks on to an existing lego town once they process your Set-Up fee :( The nature of each lego is similar in size and structure, but the particle of dust that might represent your home system can be found anywhere on the surface of the lego....

Ok I gotta go back to work :P my analogies are even freaking ME out :( LOL

Neil, you worry me.

So far you've asked about who the bad guy's in the game are, lot's of questions about building war ships, and now you're trying to find maps. :(

You have a secret volcano lair and cackle maniacally don't you? :cheers:

So far, the systems that I've come across don't have more than 5 WP. Many of them one-way. Sigh.

I think you are the king of the one way warp point. I have found a few but most of mine are two way. :( Also, my map so far is pretty straightforward with only a few interconnected systems. I guess I am lucky.

Neil, you worry me.

So far you've asked about who the bad guy's in the game are, lot's of questions about building war ships, and now you're trying to find maps.  :cheers:

You have a secret volcano lair and cackle maniacally don't you?  :P

Geez... Here I was worrying about looking like a complete newbie but now some of you thinking I'm some sort of DR. EVIL. I wish I was because he has better toys to play with than I do at the moment. Hmmmmm... Death Ray. :(

I played these type of games before and the one thing I learnt quickly is to ask the stupid question now rather than later before I find myself in the thick of things. :(

But some of you misunderstood my question. As it stand right now, I can't navigate through that type F WP because I don't have advance enough jump sensors to make it possible. Why can't a friendly ally with better jump sensors go in and give me the information later to permit my ships to go through it too? Am I making any sense? :drunk:

Why can't a friendly ally with better jump sensors go in and give me the information later to permit my ships to go through it too?  Am I making any sense?  :cheers:

Basicily think of it as...untill you do the research, even if you get the infor, you just can't get your brains to understand what the info means.

PS..LOVe Red Dwarf :(

Neil, you worry me.

But some of you misunderstood my question. As it stand right now, I can't navigate through that type F WP because I don't have advance enough jump sensors to make it possible. Why can't a friendly ally with better jump sensors go in and give me the information later to permit my ships to go through it too? Am I making any sense? :(

Unfortunately SN:rote does not work that way... But there are a few ways around F class warp points. If this warp point is in your home system, or connects to your home system, then don't worry about it. You can SURV them successfully. If this warp point is not in your home system, then you have two options. A high level scientist or explorer can help. But what I used to do was create a small colony of around 5 pop and make sure you have Astronomical Observatory and at least one decent Science Installation (or Imperial Science Installation). I found that with Domed City, City, Astronomical Observatory, and two science installations I could SURV any warp point and not suffer attrition losses. (I do have good colonization bonuses). The good news is you only need that colony when you SURV, you can then DISM all the installations later that turn and then convert all your pop to colonists and load them back up that turn if you fear attrition losses.

Anybody? Do you need Industrial Complexes to convert pop into colonists? If so, then you would only need to have one Industrial Complex to do this...

Hope that helps.

ANS: No one can share SURV information within the game. All the mapping information you receive outside the game doesn't help your *ships* at all. Nothing can help your ships except your own SURVs.

IXITIXL QUOTE: Unfortunately SN:rote does not work that way... But there are a few ways around F class warp points. If this warp point is in your home system, or connects to your home system, then don't worry about it. You can SURV them successfully.

ANS: True; F's in and out of one's home system can be surveyed by Mk I JSSs. A home court advantage.

IXITIXL QUOTE: Anybody? Do you need Industrial Complexes to convert pop into colonists? If so, then you would only need to have one Industrial Complex to do this...

ANS: No. I'm currently unloading, CONing, DISMing, then loading on a particularly nasty world with a G and an H warp leading out. No Industrial Complexes required.

Hmmmmm... Death Ray.  :(

Ha, I think Death Ray needs to have finger quotes around it.

Hmmmm... "Death Ray".

Not quite as effective without the Dr. Evil visual, but ...

But some of you misunderstood my question.  As it stand right now, I can't navigate through that type F WP because I don't have advance enough jump sensors to make it possible.  Why can't a friendly ally with better jump sensors go in and give me the information later to permit my ships to go through it too?  Am I making any sense?  :(

Your neighbor can help you through a WP if:

1. They have the tech to do it.

2. You've met.

3. They are willing to trade the appropriate jump survey sensors so you can build your own survey ship(s).

Since we're both newbies, I'd guess there's a fair chance we're mid-range neighbors. Maybe we'll meet soon. :cheers:

Since we're both newbies, I'd guess there's a fair chance we're mid-range neighbors.  Maybe we'll meet soon.  :P

That would be great... Too bad we don't know in which direction to search. :cheers: I'm definitely looking to form alliances and protection pacts with my neighbours which I'm hoping they'll all be friendly and not like this... :(

I'm afraid by the time we find each other I just might have that Mk I death ray. :(

Hoping that we'll cross each other's path one day. :drunk:

ANS:  No one can share SURV information within the game.  All the mapping information you receive outside the game doesn't help your *ships* at all.  Nothing can help your ships except your own SURVs.

IXITIXL QUOTE:  Unfortunately SN:rote does not work that way...  But there are a few ways around F class warp points.  If this warp point is in your home system, or connects to your home system, then don't worry about it.  You can SURV them successfully. 

ANS:  True; F's in and out of one's home system can be surveyed by Mk I JSSs.  A home court advantage.

IXITIXL QUOTE:  Anybody? Do you need Industrial Complexes to convert pop into colonists?  If so, then you would only need to have one Industrial Complex to do this...

ANS:  No.  I'm currently unloading, CONing, DISMing, then loading on a particularly nasty world with a G and an H warp leading out.  No Industrial Complexes required.

Just remember that when you DISM a structure you gain the POP unit, but you can only load colonists. Use the CTRN Order to convert the POP into Colonists.

Hope that helps. :P

-SK :)