Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonizing Other Planets (Moons)

NeilGartner

I had my Pathfinders scout every planet and moon in my system and I came across two small moons with invaluable resources (see below). As you can see, if I can colonize these two moons and open them for mining, I'll have all the resources that I need right in my own system to keep me going for long while.

The question is, what is the right approaching to colonizing them and if I am missing anything? I know about the colony beacons and building a power source but their environment is less than friendly. I think my best option is to go and construct cities protected by domes on the surface. This will require me to build rather huge cargo ships to haul construction materials out to them.

Once I'm setup, do I still need to use cargoships to haul all the resources back to my homeworld? What does the Transportation Center (Installation) does... Can it transfer resources too?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my flood of endless questions. :)

Cheers :P

================================================================================

=========================================

-----CSV (Colonial Attrition Survey)-----

CSV: 102, 205

** The Fleet commander of 102nd Recon Group # 102 reports that he is not located over Population Group # 205, so he executes a general Colonial Attrition Survey mission instead (not focused on any particular Population Group) Survey teams aboard 102nd Recon Group # 102 conduct a detailed analysis of XXXXX. They analyze general information about the planet, and determine that the attrition rate at this world would be high, with a steady and not inconsiderable loss of colonists to be expected over the long term.

Your survey teams break down the cause of the attrition into the following categories:

Ocean: --------|

Temperature: -----------------------------------------|

Gravity: -|

Axial Tilt: |

Terrain (favorable) .|

102nd Recon Group #102 located at XXXXX, conducts a detailed Geological Survey of moon X Resource Yield ratings are listed following each entry, with high Yield values being desirable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Light Metals (595), Gemstones (547), Iron (449), Gaseous Elements (257), Crystals (228), Water (108),

> Radioactive Elements (105), Ghuran Demonblood (83), Coal (58), Hydroelectric Potential (49), Industrial Chemicals (32),

================================================================================

CSV: 103, 205

** The Fleet commander of 103rd Recon Group # 103 reports that he is not located over Population Group # 205, so he executes

a general Colonial Attrition Survey mission instead (not focused on any particular Population Group) Survey teams aboard 103rd Recon Group # 103 conduct a detailed analysis of XXXXX. They analyze general information about the planet, and determine that the attrition rate at this world would be high, with a steady and not inconsiderable loss of colonists to be expected over the long term.

Your survey teams break down the cause of the attrition into the following categories:

Temperature: ----------------------------------------|

103rd Recon Group #103 located at XXXXX, conducts a detailed Geological Survey of moon X Resource Yield ratings are listed following each entry, with high Yield values being desirable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Crystals (643), Gaseous Elements (577), Gemstones (413), Water (95), Ghuran Demonblood (89), Hydroelectric Potential (74),

> Radioactive Elements (37), Industrial Chemicals (20), Rare Elements (2)

I had my Pathfinders scout every planet and moon in my system and I came across two small moons with invaluable resources (see below).  As you can see, if I can colonize these two moons and open them for mining, I'll have all the resources that I need right in my own system to keep me going for long while.

The question is, what is the right approaching to colonizing them and if I am missing anything?  I know about the colony beacons and building a power source but their environment is less than friendly.  I think my best option is to go and construct cities protected by domes on the surface.  This will require me to build rather huge cargo ships to haul construction materials out to them.

Once I'm setup, do I still need to use cargoships to haul all the resources back to my homeworld?  What does the Transportation Center (Installation) does...  Can it transfer resources too?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my flood of endless questions.  :)

Cheers  :P

** The Fleet commander of 102nd Recon Group # 102 reports that he is not located over Population Group # 205, so he executes a general Colonial Attrition Survey mission instead (not focused on any particular Population Group) Survey teams aboard 102nd Recon Group # 102 conduct a detailed analysis of XXXXX. They analyze general information about the planet, and determine that the attrition rate at this world would be high, with a steady and not inconsiderable loss of colonists to be expected over the long term.

Terrain (favorable) .|

102nd Recon Group #102 located at XXXXX, conducts a detailed Geological Survey of moon X Resource Yield ratings are listed following each entry, with high Yield values being desirable.

> Light Metals (595), Gemstones (547), Iron (449), Gaseous Elements (257), Crystals (228), Water (108),

> Radioactive Elements (105), Ghuran Demonblood (83), Coal (58), Hydroelectric Potential (49), Industrial Chemicals (32),

** The Fleet commander of 103rd Recon Group # 103 reports that he is not located over Population Group # 205, so he executes

a general Colonial Attrition Survey mission instead (not focused on any particular Population Group) Survey teams aboard 103rd Recon Group # 103 conduct a detailed analysis of XXXXX. They analyze general information about the planet, and determine that the attrition rate at this world would be high, with a steady and not inconsiderable loss of colonists to be expected over the long term.

103rd Recon Group #103 located at XXXXX, conducts a detailed Geological Survey of moon X Resource Yield ratings are listed following each entry, with high Yield values being desirable.

> Crystals (643), Gaseous Elements (577), Gemstones (413), Water (95), Ghuran Demonblood (89), Hydroelectric Potential (74),

Your best bet it to look for Ideal or atleast very low attritiion or it will not be worth it... there are 100's of stuff around you... and in the begeiining, you are not in so much need (though iron/steel are good for coloial berths at 50k a pop)

I had my Pathfinders scout every planet and moon in my system and I came across two small moons with invaluable resources (see below).  As you can see, if I can colonize these two moons and open them for mining, I'll have all the resources that I need right in my own system to keep me going for long while.

The question is, what is the right approaching to colonizing them and if I am missing anything?  I know about the colony beacons and building a power source but their environment is less than friendly.  I think my best option is to go and construct cities protected by domes on the surface.  This will require me to build rather huge cargo ships to haul construction materials out to them.

Once I'm setup, do I still need to use cargoships to haul all the resources back to my homeworld?  What does the Transportation Center (Installation) does...  Can it transfer resources too?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my flood of endless questions.  :)

Cheers  :P

Terrain (favorable) .|

These are nice yields. The problem is that Domed Cities will not help you here. Domed Cities will reduce the effects of atmosphere but not temperature. Building Fluid Conversion plants will reduce the negative impact from oceans but you need something that reduces the impact of temperature. Not knowing the relative difference between your HW and the moons means I cannot provide advice although someone else might be able to give some.

As for using cargoships, you will still need them to help haul the materials back to the HW. I believe that Transportation Centers only work on the same world among different pop groups. The big issue is if you cannot mitigate the attrition, your colony size will be limited by the percentage attrition and the number of colonists your colony ships can carry in a turn. (The maximum size being = (Number of colonists in a turn/ % attrition).

I hope this information helps.

These are nice yields. The problem is that Domed Cities will not help you here. Domed Cities will reduce the effects of atmosphere but not temperature. Building Fluid Conversion plants will reduce the negative impact from oceans but you need something that reduces the impact of temperature. Not knowing the relative difference between your HW and the moons means I cannot provide advice although someone else might be able to give some.

As for using cargoships, you will still need them to help haul the materials back to the HW. I believe that Transportation Centers only work on the same world among different pop groups.  The big issue is if you cannot mitigate the attrition, your colony size will be limited by the percentage attrition and the number of colonists your colony ships can carry in a turn. (The maximum size being = (Number of colonists in a turn/ % attrition).

I was afraid of that. My race has no special ability when it comes to colonizing other planets. Especially with no resistance to high temperatures.

I'm very determined to mine the crap out of these moons, especially with them just sitting in my backyard. Is there any piece of technology I can pursue to help reduce the temperature? Something under Planetary Engineering or Terraforming tech?

As for using cargoships, you will still need them to help haul the materials back to the HW. I believe that Transportation Centers only work on the same world among different pop groups.  The big issue is if you cannot mitigate the attrition, your colony size will be limited by the percentage attrition and the number of colonists your colony ships can carry in a turn. (The maximum size being = (Number of colonists in a turn/ % attrition).

I was afraid of that. My race has no special ability when it comes to colonizing other planets. Especially with no resistance to high temperatures.

I'm very determined to mine the crap out of these moons, especially with them just sitting in my backyard. Is there any piece of technology I can pursue to help reduce the temperature? Something under Planetary Engineering or Terraforming tech?

Its going to depend on how far your HW temperature is from the moons. Pete has stated elsewhere that the effect on attrition by temperature has a cap so if the difference is significant, even Thermal facilities will not have an impact. However, I have no idea on where the cap occurs so I can offer no other advice on this point. Others may have more information.

Neil,

Overall, whilst these worlds look tempting, we'd advise against colonising unless the temperature variation from your HW is less than+50 or -90; unless you can afford to lose a number of colonists every turn.

Atmosphere can be well dealt with by Domed Cities, Ocean by Fluid Processors, Cities and Colonial Training Centres help overall, and the Hardened, Subterranean and Aquatic Instaltion techs also help....

But after all that, temperature is by far the biggest hurdle to overcome and seems nigh on impossible even with the higher tech solutions.

Our advice would be to concentrate on similar temperature worlds.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Neil,

Overall, whilst these worlds look tempting, we'd advise against colonising unless the temperature variation from your HW is less than+50 or -90; unless you can afford to lose a number of colonists every turn.

Atmosphere can be well dealt with by Domed Cities, Ocean by Fluid Processors, Cities and Colonial Training Centres help overall, and the Hardened, Subterranean and Aquatic Instaltion techs also help....

But after all that, temperature is by far the biggest hurdle to overcome and seems nigh on impossible even with the higher tech solutions.

Our advice would be to concentrate on similar temperature worlds.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

I admit that I got greedy when I saw the vast and useful resources those moons held and all right in my backyard. This discussion has given me a lot to consider and for now, I'll bypass them and hope to find something other and more suitable planets nearby.

Thanks everyone for your helpful insights. :cheers:

Go find something else with better attrition right now and come back to these when you have the required tech advances. It is not worth it to colonize high attrition worlds. While your yields are pretty good they are not spectacular so keep looking. In the mean time I would accelerate tech research on Species Engineering so you can get some lifeform mods to offset the attrition since there is little that helps in the mitigation of temerature problems.

As to colonizing in general you will need lots of cargo spaces. I generally build colony transports with 100 berths and 75k cargo. These then transport 100 colonists and 75k construction materials with each trip. I then set up dedicated cargo ships to bring back the mined resources on a convoy route.

You will need all the Iron you can get and just about the same with crystals. Everything else is needed in lesser amounts while somethings are not ever needed depending on what weapon system choices you have made.

:P:cheers:

A question regarding Species Engineering... I've heard that mentioned a number of times but do not recall ever seeing any descriptions of how to improve and get the "species engineering" bonus.

There is Genetic Engineering(s), Medical Science(s), Life Science(s), Pharmacology, Pharmaceuticals, Field Hospitals, etc.... in other words a plethora of possible RC paths. While the most obvious is Genetic Engineering, I'd guess that in order for that to be useful/usable, you'll need another RC component or material to get it to be usable. Any suggestions as to what the correct path is?

Thanks.

A question regarding Species Engineering... I've heard that mentioned a number of times but do not recall ever seeing any descriptions of how to improve and get the "species engineering" bonus. 

There is Genetic Engineering(s), Medical Science(s), Life Science(s), Pharmacology, Pharmaceuticals, Field Hospitals, etc....  in other words a plethora of possible RC paths.  While the most obvious is Genetic Engineering, I'd guess that in order for that to be useful/usable, you'll need another RC component or material to get it to be usable.  Any suggestions as to what the correct path is?

Thanks.

1st Generation Species Engineering requires 1st Generation Genetic Engineering and 2nd Generation Life Science

-SK :cheers: