Rolling Thunder Forums

RTD and Installation Lists

Morgwen

Hi,

I've a question about the RTD and Installation Lists.

Am I right in assuming that they both represent technology that your race can currently build? :ninja:

The reason I ask, is there are a few thing on there that I can't seem to produce and it got me wondering...

By the Rules Supplement, the RTD suspose to list technologies you've researched

"This order provides a list and description of every Item that your Empire has successfully researched."

Morgwen

:thumbsup:

The RTD list is every tech that you have researched, including a bunch of starting techs that you never use except to get to the next ones. Then at the end of the list is the list of all the techs that you have accumulated any research for including all the stuff found during normal exploration.

:cheers:

The installation list is every installation that you can build. What do you have on it that you can't build? Are you suer you have all the required materials to build them?

:thumbsup::ninja:

The RTD list is every tech that you have researched, including a bunch of starting techs that you never use except to get to the next ones.  Then at the end of the list is the list of all the techs that you have accumulated any research for including all the stuff found during normal exploration. 

:cheers:

The installation list is every installation that you can build.  What do you have on it that you can't build?  Are you suer you have all the required materials to build them?

:thumbsup:  :ninja:

For example.... my RTD list shows that I have researched Heavy and Light Fanatics, yet I have no idea what a 'fanatical' population unit is (in-game). Tried doing an ANZ and was told I don't know anything about Fanatical Pops.

So, can you see where my confusion lies? If the RTD represents what we have already researched, they we should be able to build the items. If.... on the other had, they represent things we know about.... where do we determine what we can/can not build?

I am hoping that it is just my conception of what the RTD represented.

Morgwen

(btw... never got around to thanking for your assistance w/the spreadsheets. still can't get them to work, but not using them anymore... Should have sent you a thanks!!! -- sorry)

Sorry, but you can have lots of items/facilities that you have researched and may not be able to build.

I have Mk III Force Shields but until I research Improved Transaluminum I can't make any.

I also have researched 3rd Gen Planetary Science that gave me acces to Improved Stipmining Complexes that are listed on my installation sheet but I can't make any till I research Improved Heavy Machinery.

You have to research the resources at the same time if you want to build all these uber weapons your scientists are dreaming up.

As to fanatical populations maybe if the NHL has another lockout season.......

As to fanatical populations maybe if the NHL has another lockout season.......

Oh, is that how you get fanantical pop? I had been wondering... :ninja:

NHL? What does that stand for. I seem to remember seeing the letters in the newspaper over the years. But I've always been to busy with things like washing the dog, or emptying the cats litter box, to find out what these letters stood for. I've heard rumors it was related to some professional sports. But I've never heard it used in Football, Baseball, or Basketball. Never even noticed it in the occasional article on the boring European sport called ... socket ... um, ..sock-darn ... no, no, it's soccer (so boring I can barely remember the name).

So what is this NHL you speak of?

Heavy and Light Fanatics are Ground Divs like all the others....

We believe you have the 'technology' to build all of them from start - however, you may not have the wherewithal to do so.

Just like some of the divisions are fairly useless until you have the requisite ground tech to enable them, you also need to discover and research Fanatical Population - as well as the Religious Fanatics (?) for the Special Religious divisions....

Likewise you can build Special Talent divisions even though you have no psychic talents at all - they're just not very good... :ninja:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Heavy and Light Fanatics are Ground Divs like all the others....

We believe you have the 'technology' to build all of them from start - however, you may not have the wherewithal to do so.

Just like some of the divisions are fairly useless until you have the requisite ground tech to enable them, you also need to discover and research Fanatical Population - as well as the Religious Fanatics (?) for the Special Religious divisions....

Likewise you can build Special Talent divisions even though you have no psychic talents at all - they're just not very good... :thumbsup:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Ahaaaa! Okay. Makes sense (thanks to all on this).

btw.... ref the salanderous comments in ref to NHL. Does SN have an equilivant Gretsky (sp) rule? --- those who know know the Original 'Wayne's World!! :ninja:

Morgwen

What the Utlord said about Fanatics being divisions.

If you have spreadsheet questions please ask. Many a player has gotten frustrated with the need for spreadsheets and that frustration will go way down once you get the hang of one. Please ask and I will help you get it all squared away. You don't need to be a sllave to them either. I only update my own about every 6 turns or so or when my production starts having too many things fail to build or I get some new tech that demands a complete overhaul.

Spreadsheets aren't everything though. I know a guy who likes to do everything by hand since he is on the computer al day for a day job.

:ninja::thumbsup:

Spreadsheets aren't everything though. I know a guy who likes to do everything by hand since he is on the computer al day for a day job.

This is a good point. I have found that the effort in keeping my production spreadsheet up is more than the savings I get for using it to run production. I just don't make that many changes to my production flow. Of course each player must decide if this is the best course of action. I only run one empire so it may be OK. If I were running multiple empires I might have a different opinion.

On the other hand I find spreadsheets make good databases and I update the information every turn.

You definitely have to decide how much of "spreadsheets in space" you want to play, but having a good sheet is very helpful.

I think for the first year of the game I had something extremely simple (back of the envelope style) that worked fine as long as I had some 'cushion' in my stockpiles. If you want to run a very tight operation while changing production a lot, or while upgrading to IIC's and ISM's (or ASM's, etc...) having a solid sheet is useful.

It becomes more important after taking a HW as well. :ninja:

-LX

This is a good point. I have found that the effort in keeping my production spreadsheet up is more than the savings I get for using it to run production. I just don't make that many changes to my production flow. Of course each player must decide if this is the best course of action. I only run one empire so it may be OK. If I were running multiple empires I might have a different opinion.

On the other hand I find spreadsheets make good databases and I update the information every turn.

Likewise I try and keep my information up to date each turn. We had quite a lot of data to assimilate last turn and changed our entire production queue...and it took hours plugging the stuff into the relevant spreadsheets :thumbsup:

I fear for where all this is heading in another 30 or so turns time, as the amount of information grows gradually each turn. If I could have one wish for Supernova it would be that RTG compile a data file each turn containing all fleet, pop group and other info for an empire which could then be automatically "uploaded" by a programme (written by a public spirited SN computer genius :ninja: ) which would allow you to display and manipulate the information in a more coherent format than appears on the turn results. For instance, if the turn sections containing Fleet Summary, Fleet Report, Fleet Cargo Report, Standing Orders, Ship Design Report and the Character Report could be combined somehow then this would save much time in planning fleet movements.

Oh well....back to the spreadsheets :thumbsup: