Rolling Thunder Forums

OT: War of the Worlds

EternusIV

I saw it this weekend and found it to be very entertaining. However, I'm still left with a nagging problem with the whole premise of the story. Since the basic story has been around for years, I don't believe I'm spoiling anything by the comments I make next. However, if you are unaware of the story of "War of the Worlds", please read no further as I'm going to comment on the end of the film.

Ok. The thing that nags me about the movie is the fact that the invaders :alien: , in the millions of years of studying us and planning our overthrow :jawdrop: never thought about a thing called immunization :python: . Or an environmental suit :oops: . They just hop out of their super killer tripod machines :drunk: and take a stroll around and assume that all will be well. I mean come on!. In a MILLION years, not one of the invaders raised it's tentacles in the countless staff meetings that had to have occured and said "Ahem, excuse me guys. I just had a thought. Why don't we analyze the earthling scum's environment for bacteria or microorganisms that might prove lethal to us and come up with a way to render them non-lethal". How utterly ridiculous. Just my $0.02

Ok.  The thing that nags me about the movie is the fact that the invaders :alien: , in the millions of years of studying us and planning our overthrow :ninja:  never thought about a thing called immunization :jawdrop: .  Or an environmental suit :jawdrop: .  They just hop out of their super killer tripod machines :robot:  and take a stroll around and assume that all will be well.  I mean come on!.  In a MILLION years, not one of the invaders raised it's tentacles in the countless staff meetings that had to have occured and said "Ahem, excuse me guys.  I just had a thought.  Why don't we analyze the earthling scum's environment for bacteria or microorganisms that might prove lethal to us and come up with a way to render them non-lethal".  How utterly ridiculous.  Just my $0.02

H. G. Well wrote The War of the Worlds over 100 years ago. Bacteria were pretty much cutting edge science then.

I enjoyed it :python:

It takes a lot to freak me out and I thought they did a good job with suspense throughout the film.

The effects were awesome.

*********** SPOILERS************************

The strongest part of the movie was the first hour where you see the invasion. The end of the movie sort of flatened out...(travel from NY to Boston, basically on foot from Harpers Ferry.....through terrain laden with aliens and roaming, insane masses?)

I liked the little people catchers and the vaporizing lasers.

As for the whole bacteria oversight issue...I expected it - but was bummed that they used it again. Hey - at least it wasn't like Signs where the aliens were immune to water. :oops:

I was hoping Speilberg would alter the ending from the original a bit Example: the aliens overlooked the change in Earth's atmosphere since they set up shop. I dunno...I just wanted a twist on the original. Oh well :jawdrop: Good film overall.

I saw it this weekend and found it to be very entertaining.  However, I'm still left with a nagging problem with the whole premise of the story.  Since the basic story has been around for years, I don't believe I'm spoiling anything by the comments I make next.  However, if you are unaware of the story of "War of the Worlds", please read no further as I'm going to comment on the end of the film.

I would find it hard to believe that anyone on this forum had not seen the original Movie adaptation, or heard a copy of Orsen Wells show, or read the book, or seen the (somewhat cheesy but I still liked it) TV show, or (yada, yada, too many sources to mention). Just like Wells Time Machine, this is the bread and butter, the founding source of Science Fiction.

So the ending that the Alien did it in the Library using the Candlestick should not surprise anyone.

The ending was not a surprise bit it was a disappointment. It's nice that SS stayed true to the original, but if there ever was a time to tweak a story ending, this was it.

I agree with the statement about Signs. Another very enjoyable movie that ended up being disappointed by the "twist" ending. Whoever the writer was (was it M Night Shama-lama-ding-dong?) really should have spent a bit more time developing the ending. The aliens would be totally unaware that approximately 2/3 of the earths surface is covered with water??? They don't have eyes, or probes or some means of determining whether the planet was worth taking over?

Maybe they intended to build Fluid Conversion Plants, Domed Cities and Atmosphere Processors once the takeover was completed? They might have wanted to invest some research into Combat Environment Suits in the interim..

I like the musical version much more.

Do you mean the album that was done in the 70s? I still have the LP at home somewhere.

Yea, that one. It seems much close to the original book.

No children or masses, no killing of the "madman", who wants to go underground.

The tech, the aliens use is not so sophisticated, but more than enough for the

english army with its carabines and cannons.

And no totally unscated familiy reunion of 7 (seven !) people.

Just my $0.02

Cestvel

I like the musical version much more.

Do you mean the album that was done in the 70s? I still have the LP at home somewhere.

Yea, that one. It seems much close to the original book.

No children or masses, no killing of the "madman", who wants to go underground.

The tech, the aliens use is not so sophisticated, but more than enough for the

english army with its carabines and cannons.

And no totally unscated familiy reunion of 7 (seven !) people.

Just my $0.02

Cestvel

I havent seen the movie so I cannot comment but I agree that the album was a great version of the original HG Wells story.