Rolling Thunder Forums

Weird Jump Connections

MacBeth

I recently explored a warp nexus with some difficult warp points. In addition to two routine two-way jumps, there were two that proved difficult and required the use of an explorer. One was a G class and the other was a D class, but a difficult D as it couldn't be surveyed with 5 Mk II JSS.

I surveyed both these warp points, and they are one-way jumps to the SAME system. (But I don't know if they go to the same warp point, and probably never will as it would be a backwards move.)

I've never seen that before.

I recently explored a warp nexus with some difficult warp points.  In addition to two routine two-way jumps, there were two that proved difficult and required the use of an explorer.  One was a G class and the other was a D class, but a difficult D as it couldn't be surveyed with 5 Mk II JSS.

I surveyed both these warp points, and they are one-way jumps to the SAME system.  (But I don't know if they go to the same warp point, and probably never will as it would be a backwards move.)

Ha! That's nuthin' .... B)

We've just finished surveying a Nexus, which, amongst a couple of other things, had 5 F WPs. It has transpired that ALL 5 go to the same system!!! In fact they go to the same spot (well, we haven't been through all of them yet) as another F from somewhere else.

Now the destination system truly is a 'nexus'.

CHief Cartographer to Ur-Lord Tedric

Is the name of the receiving system - DRAIN?  :)

-SK  B)

Drain LOL

I've seen the phenomenon only once.

This thread confirms my biggest fear about our galaxy...the system placement is very random. :woohoo:

These maps are becoming eerily familiar to the Starfire! game system maps. I had my hands on such a map generator long ago and this phenomenon would pop up every once in a while. If such a generator was used to generate our galaxy, the only 'grand pattern' we'll find is spaghetti a la carte :cheers: Furhter - it might explain the impossibility of assigning coordinates to systems. As of now, I'm thinking the universe is actually a big 3-d grid with simple, yet random coordinates....we're seeing some strong pattern similarities but nothing concrete to indicate a simple algorithm.

Has anyone else seen the "wagon wheels" and "sawtooth" system formations? Those seem the most easily identifiable thus far.

Is the name of the receiving system - DRAIN?  :laugh:

-SK  B)

We have several wagon wheel like systems, usually NOT a NEXUS. Not sure about saw tooth description, but there have been a couple Nexi that are dead ends (Nexus with only WP) and plenty of systems with just two WPs that seem to string wagon wheels together.

Mostly spaghetti!

Octus

I recently explored a warp nexus with some difficult warp points.  In addition to two routine two-way jumps, there were two that proved difficult and required the use of an explorer.  One was a G class and the other was a D class, but a difficult D as it couldn't be surveyed with 5 Mk II JSS.

I surveyed both these warp points, and they are one-way jumps to the SAME system.  (But I don't know if they go to the same warp point, and probably never will as it would be a backwards move.)

Welcome to the world of confusing WP's!! :blink: