Rolling Thunder Forums

Scotty: Beamed Up - RIP

octagon999

Yes, James Doohan has passed away. May he rest in peace.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/20/obit.doohan.ap/

Met him at UTSA where he spoke many, many years ago. He signed his autograph for every single person who wanted one, and there were a LOT of people who did. He seemed a genuinely gracious and kind person. The only one of the cast who I have met in person.

Compared with Stewart and Sirtis, who are both full of themselves, I'll take good ol' Scotty any day.

PS Yeah, I'm not as gracious or kind. :blush:

It is sad to be sure :blush: . I met him once at a con in Boise, Id. in 92' just like every one else going through line getting an autograph. Redmond, Wa. is only about 4hrs from where i'm at now. didn't know he lived that close to where i'm at now. He will be missed

Yes, James Doohan has passed away.  May he rest in peace.

Poor man. At the end he was done in by Pnemmonia and Alzheimers. But I also read he was suffering from Diabetes, Parkinsons, Thyroid problems, and some other lesser items. He was in and out of the hospital for Pnemmonia several times since 2002, and generally to sick for most other activities when outside the hospital. He struggled on for many years. But it was all just to much for one person.

Reading his obit. I was surprised to learn that not only was he at the Canadian landings on D-Day, but he ended up taking six bullets.

I'm not a big Trek fan, but I always liked Scotty. I now have more reason to respect the man who played him.

I hope he has found a new frontier to explore. :blush:

Lord Uriel

Yes, James Doohan has passed away.  May he rest in peace.

Poor man. At the end he was done in by Pnemmonia and Alzheimers. But I also read he was suffering from Diabetes, Parkinsons, Thyroid problems, and some other lesser items. He was in and out of the hospital for Pnemmonia several times since 2002, and generally to sick for most other activities when outside the hospital. He struggled on for many years. But it was all just to much for one person.

While getting old is tough for many, NOT getting old is even worse. However, he had a full life and has been immortalized by his role as Scottie. And for those in the USA who listen to NPR, you will be pleased to know that he was respected enough to be eulogized late yesterday by National Public Radio. That is where I learned of his D-Day involvement. As for many others, this increased my respect of the man significantly.

Hope he was beamed up quickly in the end...

Octus Imperium

lil Patton: It's only 3 hours if my mom drives it.  I grew up in the Tri-Cities and it's 4 hours from there.

Was going to say some thing here, but will just add my deepest sympathies to Mr. Doohan's loved ones. My continued sentiments for the resson for this thred :D:cheers: