Rolling Thunder Forums

Any game experience?

Henk

Hello!

I am thinking of joining Victory game 76 and was wondering if some people would be interested in telling me why this game is so much fun for you.

Also, as a secondary question, are there any people here from The Netherlands, and are any of you considering joining game 76?

Thanking you all in advance, and have fun playing! :D

Henk

:cheers: Hi Henk!!!!

first let me welcome you and encurage you to sign up for 76. there are several resons Why I play, and enjoy this game as much as I do.

First, When I was much yunger I had this thing for stratagy games (side note: my spelling can suck :D ). And if it had any thing to do with military even better. Stratego and risk were the early favorites. then came Axis and Allies, that was (and still is) a cool game. You get some buds over and just make a night of it. Victory is a game that keeps on giving for more than a night :D . You also had to put some thought in to your moves more so than just simple numbers like risk. Now in Victory, you really have to think. You are basicly running a country in that your having to take care of all the things that go on behind the scens as well. Unlike Axis where you didn't have to worry about your pop getting food, or is your rail lines big enough to get your tanks to the front lins, are your factories getting the matirials they need to run....and so on. I personaly have yet to find any game that brings the depth that Victory has to a war game.

Second, the socialness of it is outstanding. When I first was intoduced to Vic, it was play by mail, not e-mail. Comunications with other players was by mail or phone. It was still neat to meet others from all around north America. Now, I get to meet some great people from around the world. With the internet you can accualy sit a talk with the people your playing with and get to know them some and become friends. I am in the U.S. but am in a group right now with one from the Netherlands like your self, another from Britain, and the other two are some where here in noth america. I have seen references to places in Austrailia, and Japan as well. But mostly it seems players are from North America and Eourope.

The Forum: Again the internet has played a huge role in this and it's a great place to talk smak with your enemy's (the countries your at war with) Other isues come up from time to time and thing do get heated. But for the most part don't take anything personal and every one has fun. Game 75 has some good examples of what I mean on this point. It's all in good fun and with good humor for the most part. It's also a great place to get info and Insite to game play, the mechanics of it, stratigies used, and advice in general. just remember, every one is different, has different oppinions, and you just have to find what works best for you. Or if you want to just try some thing new. Others may call you nuts but hay, if your having fun then go for it. If it works then you'll probly see others trying it to.

Anyway, I hope you sign up and I look forward to seeing there. Good luck. :blink:

I have to agree with my enemy here(Lil Patton, who was rude enough to invade me in game 75). Although with everything I have going on outside of the game, its hard to find the time for the social aspects of the game currently, its a part I look forward to having more time for.

Lil Patton hinted at this, but its something important to understand, that you don't just beat opponents on the battlefield. Properly managing your country can allow you to recover from a devastating loss on the battlefield. If you do a better job of this than your oponent(s) then you can still come back and win, especially if your oponent is unable to do the same with his country.

One big thing to remember with Victory is to understand that the rules documents do not cover everything, that part of the game is learning how things work. Sometimes the rules are not clear on some aspects, or rules that have been changed, so be sure to read and re-read both the rules and the adendum. And when in doubt, ask Russ.

Russ is great at answering questions and explaining game mechanics.

Laslty, there is the diplomacy of the game. Like diplomacy in the real world, it is considered poor form to outright lie. However, it is part and parcel of diplomatic play to say something in a manner that leads someone to think you've said something, to let them read into what you've said something other that what you actually said. As an example of this, you might tell one country that your gravest concern is with another country(that is actually an allay, even if you have not put in a Total Alliance(TA) or Alliance(ALL)), leading the country you have told this to think that your looking to attack or be attacked by that country your allied with.

Hello Henk,

Having been interested in strategy games for a very long time, I stunbled upon Victory during college.

This was in the time that the game was played by using pen and paper and waiting a long time on the mail delivery. The PBMExpress was a good host of the game then.

After the first few games, I stopped playing for several years. With a good friend of mine I started playing again. I even met some close friends through the game.

The diplomacy part is the most fun. You can not get it anywere else. With email it can be intence, but it is fun.

One of the problems with the game is that the rules are not that easy to understand. And then in your first few games you have to learn what works and what not... I am still learning new things in the Victory games I am playing.

Perhaps you noticed it already, I am Dutch. If you are interested in further discussion about the game, drop me an email.

Norbert

nfbeerse@symbitec.com

France 75 makes a good point on the diplomacy, giving a good example :blink: . Using this example I would just like to add this:

Keep in mind this is a war game, you'll have to invade some one :D. Or you'll end up squashed like a bug :D. If it's thought of as rude by the country hosting your visit then so be it. Now, in the early stages of the game every one is trying to figure out who is alling with who, or what countries have come in as a team. Even though the turn cycles can seam to go very slow at times, things can develope rather quickly, or change compleatly for you. For an extended example off of what France 75 started: you may be looking in one direction for an attack in the first turn. Then, say durring turn 2, some new things come to light and new info comes your way. this can totaly change what you were planing in the first turn. this can look like diliberate mis direction to some when in fact it was simply just a change of sercomstances :cheers: . If this happens to you, don't worry about it. It can suck being on the reciving end of this situation but it's part of the game. If you change your mind or direction after talking with some one, again, don't worry about it. Like France said, let them think what they want. It's all good fun and all just part of the game :alien:

As to the rules, Norbrt makes a good point. Some of them can be difficult to understand at first. And others work best when use in certant situations. Others wont work If other different orders aren't done first. And some orders done in the right combination (comes with expireance), done at the right time (some luck here) can be devistating to your opponent. Or to your self, but thats not always do to a mistake that you made. some times you just can't catch a break. It's alot like riding a bike, once you have the basics down it's realy pritty simple. But there is always some thing to be learnd as well. I also offer an open line if you have any questions. My e-mails are in my profile. feel free to drop a line :cheers:

Hello!

I am thinking of joining Victory game 76 and was wondering if some people would be interested in telling me why this game is so much fun for you.

Also, as a secondary question, are there any people here from The Netherlands, and are any of you considering joining game 76?

Thanking you all in advance, and have fun playing!  :alien:

Henk

Hi Henk,

I love this game because of the players. Friend one game, enemy the next. And the unexpected surprises (positive and negative).

Nico

In a single word the answer is Challenge. This game offers you the ability to think both short term and long term depending on your personal level of perfection. I'm an ole perfectionist chess player that will think out moves many turns in advance with variations and plan the strategies accordingly.

The largest challenge is the other players. The game system itself is challenging at first because of the learning curve, but once beyond that the opponents are the challenge.

I’ve accomplished one goal with Victory! — I’m a game survivor (3 turns left in game 71). Believe it or not that is a challenge, especially in an advanced game when your opponnets are previous game winners. The satisfaction that comes from achieving this goal and meeting the challenge is awesome!

Good luck with your decision and we all look forward to kicking you around, I mean seeing you around! :D

Rasputin

• 3 weeks later...

are there any Dutch players... well due to the fact that victory was launched in the Netherlands it still has some fans from the past.... I think when I a, guessing that there are atleast 5 Dutch playing per game....

is it fun... yep...

you will lie awake in your bed thinking of moves and alliances which will make you victories.... but do get some Total Allies in the game as this will enhance the gameplay tremendous....

I do play online games.. I do play Harts of Iron, RedOrchestra and many more .. but this pbem game has a way of getting you addicted to it...

best thing for you to do is ,, to dive in... pick a small country.. which is easy to learn... and easy to handle.... also pick one in Europe // not an island..

go for, Bulgaria, Hungary etc... this means you can be quickly thrown out of the game... but the learning curve is good....

groetjes vanuit Leiden

Hello there,

I was one of the rather rare Belgians that played VICTORY! with PBMExpress in the Netherlands, and I always loved the game. After a stop of about 13 years, I accidently found the website of RTG and signed up right away.

The reason why you should play is the contact with the other players, the depth of the game and the "Megalomaniacly" feeling you get from it. :)

There is no game as a VICTORY! game...

There is no game as a VICTORY! game...

hmmm I also did like Gladius et Pilum in those days....

then again I just love the WWII theme... in the days of the mail the people ingame even produced whole newspapers.. just to let everyone know what was happening in the world.... which is now replaced by email... what a days... waiting afor the mailman to arrive with my turn or a fresh copy of The Flagship....