Rolling Thunder Forums

Cargo Barges

Hughestrog

I install one on my exploration ships, never know what could happen.

Tech Blurb

Cargo Barges are used to shuttle items to and from worlds where landing a starship would be inadvisable. Such locations represent extremely rare occurrences and Cargo Barges should therefore only be constructed on special vessels designed for rare or unusually hazardous situations. They are not necessary for standard cargo-hauling duties. (600 tons)

I think their primary effect is to annoy people trying to enter "Cargo Bay" (which should have been called "Cargo Hold" from day one IMO) in the turn entry software.

Secondary effect is the amusment factor for your friends. This comes when you tell them you just designed a new starship and made a mistake in the NUD ... resulting in a ship requiring 100,000 Cargo Barges (chuckles). AND you add you did not notice the mistake until you tried to build the ship and got the message about insufficent materials (a few laughs at your nature).

Note that the cargo barge, as useless as it is, is made even more so as it has no inherent cargo capacity. IE -- it either can carry 0 tons making it truly useless, or, when shuttling to a worlds surface, simply makes multiple trips carrying all the goods you need (hence just one would be needed even on a special ship).

I feel sorrier for the poor schmuck awhile back that accidentally BI'ed several hundred thousand Cargo Barges when he intended to build Cargo Bays.

You used to be able to NUD ships with things like thousands of Battleaxes. I don't know if that's been fixed or not.

I feel sorrier for the poor schmuck awhile back that accidentally BI'ed several hundred thousand Cargo Barges when he intended to build Cargo Bays. 

You used to be able to NUD ships with things like thousands of Battleaxes.  I don't know if that's been fixed or not.

Suffering in silence finally pays off to know that I am not the only on to do this. :D

I think their primary effect is to annoy people trying to enter "Cargo Bay" (which should have been called "Cargo Hold" from day one IMO) in the turn entry software.

Can you imagine all the calories you've burned typing out 'cargo bay' all the way? I rue the day when I found the Fatiha system forcing me to type an extra letter for my home system Feliberto. Then there is the matter of "Improved . . . " (Or 'Imprvoed', as I usually type it.)

I've recently found some cargo barges as part of my exploration effort.

Is there any use for them?  It seems that we can build any size of cargo container (well over a million tons, etc) and it's quite alright for this to land on a planet.

Yes, I think they are useful in absorbing damage during space battles. Of course, armor is much better but to each his own!!! :ninja:

You used to be able to NUD ships with things like thousands of Battleaxes.  I don't know if that's been fixed or not.

Hmmm .. 100,000 Cargo Barges at 600 tons each means ... 300,000,000 tons of materials (240,000,000 Steel, 60,000,000 Electronics). Or, getting all the way to basics ... 1,200,000,000 tons of Iron, 360,000,000 tons of Crystals, 60,000,000 tons each of Gaseous Elements, Industrial Chemicals, and Petrochemicals. A grand total of 1,740,000,000 tons of materials (or 17,400,000,000 Raw Resources). Yep, definately a long term commitment there.

Of course, the NUD listing of materials needed when you put the wrong item in the design looks a lot like this. Always a worrying sign when the required materials start to equal goverment spending numbers. Ya know that has to be wrong.

Hmmm .. 100,000 Cargo Barges at 600 tons each means ... 300,000,000 tons of materials (240,000,000 Steel, 60,000,000 Electronics).  Or, getting all the way to basics ... 1,200,000,000 tons of Iron, 360,000,000 tons of Crystals, 60,000,000 tons each of Gaseous Elements, Industrial Chemicals, and Petrochemicals.      A grand total of 1,740,000,000 tons of materials  (or 17,400,000,000 Raw Resources).  Yep, definately a long term commitment there.

Of course, the NUD listing of materials needed when you put the wrong item in the design looks a lot like this.  Always a worrying sign when the required materials start to equal goverment spending numbers.  Ya know that has to be wrong.

Your numbers are off somewhere. They'd take up "only" 14,340,000,000 tons of industrial capacity to make from raw resources. Assuming we had none of the basic resources in stockpile (and no mines) it would take us 86 turns to finish such an order, and that's after upgrading much of our infrastructure. We can't imagine what it would look like for a beginning race.

In a minor hi-jack, it is things like Barges that makes me hope that if I go up the "Industrial" tech branch far enough, I'll discover "Recycling".  Using the power of "recycling" I'll be able to convert unwanted things into an equivalent tonnage of Raw Resources, if nothing else.  :wub:

-SK  :ninja:

On the other hand, they could be what brought down the T'ckon Empire. They were putting all of their resources into Cargo Barges and either had a violent disagreement internally or were defenseless against an outside enemy. :thumbsup: