Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship tonnage calc?

lugal

I was wondering if somebody had a ship tonnage calculator?

Something that I can click on which components I will install and it tells me how many of whatever type of engine I need for whatever amount of AP I desire.

I'm lazy and dont know how to code excel. Hate to waste the time making designs that wont work as intended.

SO if somebody can help, send me a PM or tell me where to go to download it. Wonder if our Yahoogroups site is still working?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F it. I just made my own in excel. I just have to plug in the ship parts and the tonnage.

And no, I wont share it with you! :woohoo:

Question though, does the ships components "ammo" (IE: Light Drone or Torpedo) get factored into the overall tonnage serperate from the ship component using that ammo? Basically, do I need to add ammo tonnage or just the ship component tonnage? Or add both?

I could certainly offer you my ship building spreadsheet, but it doesn't do what you wanted.

There is no such thing as ammo so you just calculate the tonnage of the system. Drones and fighters are treated just like cargo with each bay holding 10,000. Missiles and torpedo's come fully equipped with an infinite supply of munitions.

:pirate2::woohoo:

TY Hob.

My spreedsheet will be close to whatever is out there already. But with mine, you select which parts and the qty, then plug in how many AP you wish and it will tell you how many engines you need for that AP. I also plan on putting in the formula for jump engines.

Question about engines, lets say I use MK3 engines, do I add the weight of the engines to the total tonnage for the AP calculation? Or are they excluded like drones would be?

TY Hob.

My spreedsheet will be close to whatever is out there already. But with mine, you select which parts and the qty, then plug in how many AP you wish and it will tell you how many engines you need for that AP. I also plan on putting in the formula for jump engines.

Question about engines, lets say I use MK3 engines, do I add the weight of the engines to the total tonnage for the AP calculation? Or are they excluded like drones would be?

You include the weight of the engines. You can also set up a fuel tanikage calculator if you want to be able to have enough fuel to traverse several warp points without refueling. Of course then you have to iterate to get to the correct number of engines and fuel tanks but I have found that the solutions always converges, so far. :woohoo:

Mine calculates WP bubble and AP rating but you still have to put in the # of engines rather than the AP. 

:cheers:  :drunk:

I'll send you mine when I get all the math done.

But I have one more question for everybody.

What is the equation for calculating fuel concumption per ton and jump engine output? I looked in all the RTG files on the FTP server and didnt see any. I just saw the table of type of warp points.

Mine calculates WP bubble and AP rating but you still have to put in the # of engines rather than the AP. 

:cheers:  :drunk:

What is the equation for calculating fuel concumption per ton and jump engine output? I looked in all the RTG files on the FTP server and didnt see any. I just saw the table of type of warp points.

Divide your ship tonnage by 1000 and round down and then multiply that by the warp point rating (A=1, B=2, C=4, D=9, E=16, etc.). That should give you the fuel consumption.

:drunk:  :cheers:

Divide your ship tonnage by 1000 and round down and then multiply that by the warp point rating (A=1, B=2, C=4, D=9, E=16, etc.). That should give you the fuel consumption.

And F=25.

Anyone cracked those higher WP yet?

:drunk:  :cheers:

And F=25.

Anyone cracked those higher WP yet?

I have cracked one F so far and have a couple more I will tackle when I can get the resources deployed. I also have three Gs so far that I have not opened.

I have cracked one F so far and have a couple more I will tackle when I can get the resources deployed. I also have three Gs so far that I have not opened.

Any WP higher than F cracked?

Any J or K WP out there?

G's pop quite nicely with even a Mk III JSS and a Ranger.

H's heard of, but not yet seen.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Any WP higher than F cracked?

Any J or K WP out there?

G's pop quite nicely with even a Mk III JSS and a Ranger.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Not according to my calculations. A G class warp is 210 points, a Ranger reduces that cost by 60% to 84 points but a Mk III only generates 80 points. There may be some variability around the class G warp point cost but I would expect you would need a mid level scientitist, multiple Mk III JSSs or a facility to crack Gs consistently with a Ranger.

Not according to my calculations. A G class warp is 210 points, a Ranger reduces that cost by 60% to 84 points but a Mk III only generates 80 points. There may be some variability around the class G warp point cost but I would expect you would need a mid level scientitist, multiple Mk III JSSs or a facility to crack Gs consistently with a Ranger.

Don't forget racial bonuses. Warp surveys are another thing the brain blobs excel at...and even races that are not brain blobs... Bonuses from sensory abilities definitely come into play.