Rolling Thunder Forums

Recent empire meetings

ali-t-akua

Its great to see that many empires have run into others, I am wondering if the frequency of such encounters has increased? :cheers:

Or is that Empires of similiar start-up date have spent the required amount of time exploring that they've finally bumped into each other, somewhere in the middle between their two HW's?

Your nearest neighbors are in all likelyhood 6-10 jumps away. The galaxy really isn't that big as long as you are actively exploring with more than a handful of fleets.

Your nearest neighbors are in all likelyhood 6-10 jumps away.  The galaxy really isn't that big as long as you are actively exploring with more than a handful of fleets.

I'd go so far to say that it is really quite small. A ship with decent AP can really move an impressive distance once all the warp points in question are surveyed, fuel is acquired, and order costs are swallowed.... :blink:

:o

I remember Pete trying to encourage us a long time ago before we knew about TWDs -- he said something like "you guys are a lot closer together than you think" -- we are definitely seeing more contact. I personally suspect that it is in newer regions; those populated by races that can effciently research TWDs, etc and start sending ships out quickly. Those of us in the core often have very large tracts of space seemingly unoccupied (b/c of drops) and are often playing a bit of "catch-up" b/c of strange research decisions made early on in the game.

As for trading, I've had several sucessful trades and am looking forward to more with a few positions... but it is still a lot of effort to coordinate effective trading fleets. There are plenty of turns I don't have the time to think about such things. Hopefully this gets a bit easier as our tech improves. (Obviously, I'm dreaming of planetary cargo gates! :cheers: )

-LX

FWIW -

I am finding people now that would have been found over a year a go if they had done any serious exploration. I run into somebody within 1 or 2 of their HW and 10-12 from mine. For each range increase by 1 it gets that much more difficult to map everything out.

So, the moral of the story is: If you want to make contact then you have to get your fleets out in space.

In this sense, standard fleets without NTWD's are preferabe since you can field many more of them. I find that I get more bang out of 10 individual fleets without NTWD's that I do with a single 20AP fleet with a NTWD. You don't relly need a TWD equipped ship until you are moving around the teams to crack the high end WP's that are too tough for your slow fleets.

:blink::cheers::o

In this sense, standard fleets without NTWD's are preferabe since you can field many more of them.  I find that I get more bang out of 10 individual fleets without NTWD's that I do with a single 20AP fleet with a NTWD.  You don't relly need a TWD equipped ship until you are moving around the teams to crack the high end WP's that are too tough for your slow fleets. 

:cheers:  :blink:  :o

I use a combination of fast and slow fleets, but I have to say that it is really nice to WARP and SS on a turn, then the following turn to SURV every warp point in the system (especially when talking about 4+ warp points) then WARP and SS again. Of course sometimes you end up in a dead-end nexus, and goofing up an order in a long sequence is painful... :cheers:

But the real value is precisely in what hobknob said: quick missions to clear hard WP's.

-LX

Convoy routes are also good to use as a mobile means of defending your inner systems. Set a convou route passing through all the WPs of those inner systems you deem as yours and then every turn add a slow or medium fleet with patrol vessels to it, sooner or later you'll always have one fleet at every WP and every turn and you moving them around makes it harder for an enemy to know exactly what waits him at a specific wp

Cheers

/Locklyn

Convoy routes are also good to use as a mobile means of defending your inner systems. Set a convou route passing through all the WPs of those inner systems you deem as yours and then every turn add a slow or medium fleet with patrol vessels to it, sooner or later you'll always have one fleet at every WP and every turn and you moving them around makes it harder for an enemy to know exactly what waits him at a specific wp

Cheers

/Locklyn

Oustanding idea! Thanks!

Octus