Rolling Thunder Forums

intelligence ?

rotor911

I just ANZed a new stuff (for me !) "laser communication gear" which has 2 strengths. One, bridge, I understand : it allows your ships to fire at several targets simultaneously. But I've never read anything about the other, "Intelligence" (or forgot it!). Also, a part of the description

The equipment is sensitive to battle damage and cannot be used when the ship is

under heavy fire, but otherwise is a fine addition to any flagship.

would mean that this "intelligence strength" is no use for naval combat. So, what for? Exploration? Detecting alien ships? Thanks for enlightening me!

It has nothing to do with a ship in orbit helping with ground combat. It has to do with Laser communications gear also having a ground combat component. So when you research the tech you ground guys are able to get some benefit from it. As with other ground techs, you don't build it. It is just incorporated into the mix.

It is a 2fer.

:cheers::drunk:

I  just ANZed a new stuff (for me !)  "laser communication gear" which has 2 strengths. One, bridge, I understand : it allows your ships to fire at several targets simultaneously.  But I've never read anything about the other, "Intelligence" (or forgot it!).  Also, a part of the description

would mean that this "intelligence strength" is no use for naval combat. So, what for? Exploration? Detecting alien ships? Thanks for enlightening me!

I've always thought the description was funny. Hey, the equipment can't be used when a ship is under fire (in a battle), but otherwise, it's nice stuff! That's like saying RoadMaster 3000 tires are sensative to stress and cannot be used under high speeds, but they are a fine addition to any sportscar. Yes, I know, you're supposed to put all of the Laser Comm gear on ships at the rear of the battle so they keep communicating while the front line fights it out, directing the action from the rear (where the flagship hides). Still.....

I  just ANZed a new stuff (for me !)  "laser communication gear" which has 2 strengths. One, bridge, I understand : it allows your ships to fire at several targets simultaneously.  But I've never read anything about the other, "Intelligence" (or forgot it!).   Also, a part of the description

I've always thought the description was funny. Hey, the equipment can't be used when a ship is under fire (in a battle), but otherwise, it's nice stuff! That's like saying RoadMaster 3000 tires are sensative to stress and cannot be used under high speeds, but they are a fine addition to any sportscar. Yes, I know, you're supposed to put all of the Laser Comm gear on ships at the rear of the battle so they keep communicating while the front line fights it out, directing the action from the rear (where the flagship hides). Still.....

You wouldn't put knobby mud tires on your Formula one car, would you? :P

It's all a question of using the right tool for the right job, to me. Obviously, you wouldn't want to put LCG on your front line Assault Dreadnaught, but you could put it on your stealthed-to-the-point-of-invisible C-n-C flagship. :D

-SK :)

Obviously, you wouldn't want to put LCG on your front line Assault Dreadnaught, but you could put it on your stealthed-to-the-point-of-invisible C-n-C flagship.

Actually, if you really think about it, you would want Laser Comm Gear to be on every warship OR whatever the Advanced Tech equivelent would be. LCG would allow you to have secure high speed targeting, group maneuver, Data transfer, etc. Much like current data links of the US Navy.

Here is a place where I think SN is missing some "Color". An X gen Fire Control (FC) component is equal to any other X gen FC. It would be nice if there was a senergy between various FC equipment. For example, to get full FC effect in a fleet, each ship needs to have a min of X# communications units, Y# number of sensors, "Z"# of computers plus "N"# of specials. A Fleets FC would be then based on its total ability to:

- Gather the Data

- Communicate the Data

- Process the Data

- Allow for specials to the above that you might research.

I think this would be a ncie addition as it would increase the need for trade, make ship design a bit more empire specific and make it bit hard to completely number crunch the results of a battle before hand.

Just a thought.

Good Cheer,

Rick

Obviously, you wouldn't want to put LCG on your front line Assault Dreadnaught, but you could put it on your stealthed-to-the-point-of-invisible C-n-C flagship.

Actually, if you really think about, you would want Laser Comm Gear to be on every warship OR whatever the Advanced Tech equivelent would be. LCG would allow you to have secure high speed targeting, group maneuver, Data transfer, etc. Much like current data links of the US Navy.

Here is a place where I think SN is missing some "Color". An X gen Fire Control (FC) component is equal to any other X gen FC. It would be nice if there was a senergy between various FC equipment. For example, to get full FC effect in a fleet, each ship needs to have a min of X# communications units, Y# number of sensors, "Z"# of computers plus "N"# of specials. A Fleets FC would be then based on its total ability to:

- Gather the Data

- Communicate the Data

- Process the Data

- Allow for specials to the above that you might research.

I think this would be a ncie addition as it would increase the need for trade, make ship design a bit more empire specific and make it bit hard to completely number crunch the results of a battle before hand.

Just a thought.

Good Cheer,

Rick

There are so many enhancements that are worthy, but so little resource (apparently) to implement them. However, some may complain that (if implemented) this has disrupted how many years of research and ship design efforts? Alas, change is not always easy or fair. But it is necessary. And with a creative group on the message boards, RTG will never be lacking for new ideas.

This suggestion seems to be very logical and would increase the enjoyment factor in my mind.

Oh well, back to work and time to await the turn results.

Octus

While such a system would be pretty spiffy, it would require some major modifications to SN:ROTE.

Currently, each ship design can only have 25 different components, maximum. All of which can be whatever you want them to be. Under the dedicated components model [X, Y, Z, N, etc.], you lose some flexibility, plus Pete would have to dedicate "slots" to certain types of components (e.g. Bridge, Sensor, etc.) with all of the associative back-checking and filtering to prevent some of us error-prone players from trying to put Engines in the Comm Gear slot. :D That's a lot of programming time for a little bit of color.

Of course, I still dream of the UPGRADE command that would allow me to change out older components (e.g. Type A Black Sphere Generator) with newer components (e.g. Type B Black Sphere Generator) without having to build a whole new ship. :P However, as Octus has pointed out, many ideas - ranging from silly to flat-out inspired - have been posted to this board and there is only one Pete.

Keeping the Faith,

-SK :)

You don't have to add specific function slots for the 4 catagories. You would need to add a some code to compare the ships class rating in these four catagories at the time it is designed (I asusme the same thing is done for say something like Cohernet Beam defense with the value stored in the ship design record. It makes more sense to me than calculating it for each ship before every battle. Less processing time). You then compare the ratings based on some formula and a CASE Statement for how it affects the fleet with the results gathered in a Variable. Again, something roughly done with the current code (FC rating of ship added to Fleet Variable containing FC which is then devided by the total fleet tonnage [something else that the computer has to total based on ship class and # of ships]).

It would mean....

1) changing the programs record for ships.

2) Creating a translation routine for previous designs (mostly code from

the new design routine.

3) Adding new design calculations to the design and storage routine

4) changing the way FC was calculated on a fleet level.

Anyway, its an idea. One that RTG and players can think about. RTG can actually look at their code and decide if its something that is as easy as what I think it is (and thats me without having looked at their code).

Good Cheer,

Rick