Rolling Thunder Forums

System Beacons

octagon999

Question:

Do you really use them? Since they expire after 20 turns, are they more trouble than they are worth, considering the actual order expense required to field them?

Would extending their lifespan make them more practical?

I think when they were first created, 20 turns seemed like a lot of time. Now, I have a whole bunch sitting in storage with no intent of ever using them. Simply because I have way too many more things that require my time than planting beacons to mark space that is rarely travelled. And those that are regularly travelled don't need them.

I find that a 1000 ton junk ship is much better if you want to go to the effort at all. System beacons would be well worth it if you got any intel back from them. As it sits, you only know they were destroyed or not. In the various conflicts taht I have been involved with I have only used ROE's high enough to destroy system beacons once, and that was spoecifically to destroy a beacon. The rest of the time ROE W works well and that leaves the beacons intact.

So, make the beacons more sensetive to Aggressive ROE's or give them some feedback ability and then they might be worth it.

As they sit they are breadcrumbs leading back to the loaf.

:D:(

Question:

Do you really use them?  Since they expire after 20 turns, are they more trouble than they are worth, considering the actual order expense required to field them?

Yes, I make it a habit of "marking" my territory.

Question:

Do you really use them?  Since they expire after 20 turns, are they more trouble than they are worth, considering the actual order expense required to field them?

Yes, I make it a habit of "marking" my territory.

I don't think they are worth the orders and fleet diversions. But I like the idea of 1,000 ton junk ships. Or the (growing) list of obsolete ships not worth orders or scraping. When was the last time I issued an order to a Pathfinder????

Octus

I've never used or even built a system beacon.  As they are, they are worthless to me, especially considering the costs, orders, etc.  There is no such thing as an obsolete ship, they just get renamed 'picket'.  :blush:

I would be much happier about using system beacons if you could set up convoy routes to put them in place - otherwise the maintenance of them tends to use a lot of orders.

The last order I issued a Pathfinder was 'Scrap'

Hey, pathfinders are very valuable ships. They are great at finding out whats on the other side of a WP before you send newer ships through. The have skills negotiating with primative neutrals which are adequate. And they know how to PMAP planets when hunting for pesky enemy colonies or fortresses. Yep, lots of value.

I've never used or even built a system beacon.  As they are, they are worthless to me, especially considering the costs, orders, etc.   There is no such thing as an obsolete ship, they just get renamed 'picket'.  :blush:

I would be much happier about using system beacons if you could set up convoy routes to put them in place - otherwise the maintenance of them tends to use a lot of orders.

But the JETT order isn't convoy route able. Change the order to allow this?

I've never used or even built a system beacon.  As they are, they are worthless to me, especially considering the costs, orders, etc.   There is no such thing as an obsolete ship, they just get renamed 'picket'.  :blush:

But the JETT order isn't convoy route able. Change the order to allow this?

Precisely :woohoo: