Rolling Thunder Forums

So if we were to build a player-run newsletter...

EternusIV

Just probing for some ideas as to what we would like to see in a player-run newsletter.

I'm not volunteering per se (yet), but I'd be more than willling to organize some things into a newsletter format that everyone can read (Word format? PDF Newspaper style?)

I think more people would look forward to a newsletter at this stage than a ladder rankings system published by the GMs...or not?

In any case, what type of features would you be willing to submit/enjoy reading within a player-based newsletter?

Brainstorming:

1) Articles on game play

2) Interview with an Empire

3) Battle Reporting

4) Classified Ads LOL

5) Propoganda

6) Artwork / Comics! (artists out there?)

7) New Empire Announcement

8) Various announcements (alliances, extinctions, new colonies, trade routes etc.)

9) We could even attach a link to the Systems Claimed Spreadsheet

10) Mapping techniques/programs

11) Spreadsheet contributions/Math-related section

12) StarBar Ads, recipes and stories.

And we don't need all 12 sections each newsletter...any combo of the above...plus or minus...you get the picture. :alien:

I would be willing to assemble various contributions once every other week, or monthly, if there was enough interest. I would like to reduce my role to that of a mere editor if at all possible: cutting and pasting various contributions from others, but would chime in with an article here or there. Heck, nothing to prevent everybody from contributing something.

I could set up a separate email account specifically for the use of uploading material.

Once we have something tangible, I'm certain Russ would post it for us.

Suggestions? Contributions? Ideas? :cheers:

I know that long ago, we had others volunteer for this type of thing -- In fact, if previous volunteers would be up for this, speak up! :cheers:

Lastly, let's just get all the paranoid nonsense out of the way and presume that everything submitted will be published :drunk: (oh noz! jooz R robBiNg us 0wR In+3l!) :)

I would be itnerested in battle reports, and suggestions for empire management for example what some players have done in spread sheets.

Player fiction based on their battle reports or whatever?

Of course, the real world always sucks up time, so maybe a montly letter is better than a bi-weekly

Lord Uriel

As long as we're brainstorming ...

I think that you should include Op/Ed (Opinion/Editorial) articles relating to the Pros and Cons of a particular aspect of the game (e.g. Fighters/Drones Are They Worth It?). :cheers:

You could also have Themed Contests such as "Most Extreme Planet (based on PMAP data)" or "Name That Alien". :cheers:

In the Humor Category you could have an Advice Column called "Ask Ghor'jaan ..." or the Klingon Poetry corner. :drunk:

FWIW,

-SK :)

I'm happy that the player community is trying to do something to revitalise the game but I am really really missing some sort of input from Pete and Russ on this and many of the current threads, this should be important to them?

/Locklyn

I agree with the swarmer. Maybe if you could get Pete to promise to honestly answer a list of 10 (?) player questions each issue, except of course where it would reveal information he feels shouldn't be. Call it "Ask Uncle Pete" or some such. Then there would be something in the newsletter that people could count on being truthful.

I could think of other enhancements, but they would take a little more of the GM's time and it seems doubtfull that would be forthcoming.

I agree with the swarmer.  Maybe if you could get Pete to promise to honestly answer a list of 10 (?) player questions each issue, except of course where it would reveal information he feels shouldn't be.  Call it "Ask Uncle Pete" or some such.  Then there would be something in the newsletter that people could count on being truthful. 

I could think of other enhancements, but they would take a little more of the GM's time and it seems doubtfull that would be forthcoming.

10?! :cheers: I'd be really happy if he answered 1 or 2. You could also call it "Answers from the Oracle". :drunk:

I would think that a monthly something may be better. I would still like to see some sort of statistics from Pete on best this and that, but I would not necessarily need to see an empire name associated with it. At the same time I would like the same sort of stats printed on each turn for each position as an easy way to compare apples to apples.

:):drunk:

I would think that a monthly something may be better.  I would still like to see some sort of statistics from Pete on best this and that, but I would not necessarily need to see an empire name associated with it.  At the same time I would like the same sort of stats printed on each turn for each position as an easy way to compare apples to apples.

:cheers:  :cheers:

I agree with both of Brother Hobknob's suggestions. :drunk:

I think that a player run newsletter is an excellent idea. Not sure how I could help, but let me know if you need it and I'd be glad to (as long as real life permits).

In addition to player contributions, I think that it would be real nice to get at least one contribution/newsletter from Pete as well. After all, this kind of newsletter will stimulate interest in the game which can only benefit RTG.

One item that I would like to see come from RTG would be a "Battle of the Month" segment. Obviously it would need to be censored regarding system names and WP info, but I think it would be cool to see the biggest or most interesting battle that occurred in the previous month's gameplay. That's my $0.02.

Personally, I don't see the point of a Newsletter if we have this Forum. Everything that can be published in a Newsletter can be published here, surely? :beer:

And if you're counting on an "ask Uncle Pete" column, or articles from Pete, or similar -- well, why not on this Forum?

In fact, everything you would want in a Newsletter is already being posted to this Forum -- questions to Pete (and occasional answers), battle reports, opinions, revelations, etc , etc, etc.

1.  Personally, I don't see the point of a Newsletter if we have this Forum.  Everything that can be published in a Newsletter can be published here, surely?  <_<

2.  And if you're counting on an "ask Uncle Pete" column, or articles from Pete, or similar -- well, why not on this Forum? 

In fact, everything you would want in a Newsletter is already being posted to this Forum -- questions to Pete (and occasional answers), battle reports, opinions, revelations, etc , etc, etc.

1. Because not everyone reads this BBS. It may even be a minority of players. I'm assuming the player authored newsletter would be a PDF document that would be turned over to RTG who would then send it to their distribution list of all players.

2. You may have noticed how rare it is for Pete to post anything here anymore. The hope is that if he promised up front to answer X questions per newsletter that he would actually come through with it.