Rolling Thunder Forums

Attrition on asteroids

Takeda

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that a domed city will take care of most of the atmosphere problems and I have tried fluid conversions on planets without any oceans without visible results.

I find that temperature is the single largest attrition factor for any position I have run.

I also believe that domed cities will not completely negate atmosphere problems so you will probably have to use atmosphere exchangers as well, unless you have some good colonization bonuses.

Good luck!!

:laugh::huh::D

Already have the domed cities in place but the attrition is still high. Looking for some more ways to bring it down.

Small cold blooded reptiles do not do well on asteroids. :laugh:

Takeda

Do you have 1 DOmed City per 100 population?

Also, have you tried a CSV with the domed cities in place. It might not be the atmosphere that is causing the attrition.

Could also be the temperature difference. How bad is the difference between your HW and the asteroid?

My HW is quite cold, so asteroid temp's don't bother me too much, it's normally the atmosphere (or lack of it!), and building Domed Cities (with normal Cities and Colonial Training Camps), usually make the asteroids quite nice.

Since one can control much of the atmosphere (domed or SubT cities) and ocean (fluid conversion) negatives, we've found temp the biggest impediment to reducing attrition. But it appear gravity is not a trivial effect. Unclear about tilt, but we do play aggressive pinball.....

Octus

"Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball. From SoHo down to Brighton, I must have played them all. But I ain't seen nothin' like him In any amusement hall. That deaf, dumb and blind kid Sure plays a mean pinball."

This must be you Octus.

Remember that all Attrition effects have a maximum "damage" that each can do, so that even when you are mitigating a particular effect in may not show up as having done any good.

For example, Temperature - Let's say that Temperature reaches its maximum "damage" at 75 degrees higher/lower than your Homeworld. If your Homeworld temperature is 300 degrees and the Asteroid Field is 100 degrees, you have a differential of 200 degrees. Even if you added a Subterranean City and Thermal Transfer Center, you probably only raised the "effective" temperature up to 175 degrees, as far as Attrition is concerned. That still leaves you 125 degrees too cold for comfort, which is 50 degrees higher than the maximum temperature Attrition threshold. What does that mean? That you spend a lot of resources for not net gain on the Attrition curve.

[This example assumes that your race has neither Temperature Sensitivities or Tolerances.]

Just some data for thought ...

-SK :cheers:

Since one can control much of the atmosphere (domed or SubT cities) and ocean (fluid conversion) negatives, we've found temp the biggest impediment to reducing attrition. But it appear gravity is not a trivial effect. Unclear about tilt, but we do play aggressive pinball.....

Octus

"Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball. From SoHo down to Brighton, I must have played them all. But I ain't seen nothin' like him In any amusement hall. That deaf, dumb and blind kid Sure plays a mean pinball."

This must be you Octus.

It was what I WISHED I was......

Octus

Remember that all Attrition effects have a maximum "damage" that each can do, so that even when you are mitigating a particular effect in may not show up as having done any good.

For example, Temperature - Let's say that Temperature reaches its maximum "damage" at 75 degrees higher/lower than your Homeworld.  If your Homeworld temperature is 300 degrees and the Asteroid Field is 100 degrees, you have a differential of 200 degrees.  Even if you added a Subterranean City and Thermal Transfer Center, you probably only raised the "effective" temperature up to 175 degrees, as far as Attrition is concerned.  That still leaves you 125 degrees too cold for comfort, which is 50 degrees higher than the maximum temperature Attrition threshold.  What does that mean?  That you spend a lot of resources for not net gain on the Attrition curve.

[This example assumes that your race has neither Temperature Sensitivities or Tolerances.]

Just some data for thought ...

-SK  :cheers:

Most helpful. Thanks!

Octus

Since the ocean is "None" and it differs from mine [Classified] then I assume that fluid processing plants do in fact help (or whatever the INST is called), so I build them. I suspect its not a bad investment.

As far as the mitigation factor, with overall attrition, even if certain INST's by themselves do not help immediately, I still suggest building them and leaving them in place. As your research progresses and you obtain more attrition reducing techs, you can continue adding to the mix, and hopefully at some point, their benefits do kick in. When they do, you don't have to worry about which does what, they are already in place.