Rolling Thunder Forums

Berserkers, Borgs & Replicators ... Oh My!

ShadowKitsune

From what I understand "Death Machines" were a race that one could play in previous iterations of SuperNova. While I am not advocating that they again be allowed to be played as a PC Empire racial sub-type, I was wondering what my fellow players would think of having something similar become the race of "abandoned" positions. Roughly speaking, my idea is as follows--

If a PC Empire is "dropped" (e.g. the Player informs RTG that he or she will no longer be playing Empire #XXXX for whatever reason), it sits idle for three turns. By idle, I mean that the Empire runs whatever pre-existing standing orders, convoy routes and production queues it had before. After the three turn idle period, it goes "Borg" (for lack of a better term), which is to say that the race transforms into a mostly mechanical characture of it's former self and has it's stats change accordingly. The Empire number changes to 9xxx, plus the name changes to "The Collective" (or whatever). It then starts producing generic "Borg" ships/fleets, which are set to Zulu, for the "Borg" hate all life.

One key concept behind my (admittedly half-baked at the moment) idea is that all "Borg" Empires are reactionary only. That is to say, they do not hunt down other empires. They stay at home.

Anyhow, that's my rough idea at the moment. Admittedly, it needs work, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea experiment if nothing else. So, what do you folks think?

Regards,

SK :beer:

I'm in favor of anything that spices up the game!  I was hoping some gamemaster plotline would emerge but after this many years I guess any plot twists are player creations.

I often wonder how hard it would be for RTF to fire up SNII again and polish some of those rules and simply add it as a gaming choice :beer: That would allow us to relive the Death Machines at least :cheers:

I'm in favor of anything that spices up the game!  I was hoping some gamemaster plotline would emerge but after this many years I guess any plot twists are player creations.

I often wonder how hard it would be for RTF to fire up SNII again and polish some of those rules and simply add it as a gaming choice :oops: That would allow us to relive the Death Machines at least :P

From a practicality standpoint, I would hope they wouldn't. Unless SNII was so automated (which I believe was not the case) they could just run it in the background. If memory serves, didn't Pete have to 'write up' the battle reports by hand? :thumbsup:

-SK B)

There were lots of things in SNII that were not computer moderated.  The most memorable thing was the conditional ordes that let you create if>>>then>>>else orders for your fleet commanders to follow.  You also got to be very creative with planet exploration options as well.

That would pretty much exclude it from RTG's "To Do" List then, I hope. :oops: I think SN:ROTE is keeping Pete busy enough as is.

-SK B)

Sounds like a fun idea. It could be interesting to be exploing and you run into an aggresive race that you don't have to worry about comming after you. Gives you some good experiance in war before you have to face an intelligent oppenent and we might finnaly get to see what a mechanical or cybernetic race looks like.

Anyhow, that's my rough idea at the moment.  Admittedly, it needs work, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea experiment if nothing else.  So, what do you folks think?

Well, I've had plenty of "challenging" extraterrestrial encounters in the game already...to be honest, I'd be kinda P.O.'d if I finally ran across a juicy drop only to find out it was the Borg on steroids. There's hardly been a shortage of conflict overall when alien cultures have met in this game...it seems there's always a PA empire close at hand hoping to take advantage of you B) So I'm down for a solid "no" to borg, replicators, or other computer/Pete-controlled entities at this time.

There is hardly a need for a Death Machine race when you can become one. We Bovine's have almost transitioned to our new mechanical existance where we exist only as a consciencousness that can transfer from one robotic body to another. A couple of factors have hindered our final transformation though:

1) A disturbing tendency for our mechanical bodies to end up at Country and Western Star Bar locations. This isn't necessarily a negative as many provacatively clad female lifeforms seem to enjoy using those bodies in ways that make us feel.....good.

2) We have been unable to create a vox that accurately expresses all the various expressions and meanings of "Moo".

There is hardly a need for a Death Machine race when you can become one.  We Bovine's have almost transitioned to our new mechanical existance where we exist only  as a consciencousness that can transfer from one robotic body to another.  A couple of factors have hindered our final transformation though:

1) A disturbing tendency for our mechanical bodies to end up at Country and Western Star Bar locations.  This isn't necessarily a negative as many provacatively clad female lifeforms seem to enjoy using those bodies in ways that make us feel.....good.

2) We have been unable to create a vox that accurately expresses all the various expressions and meanings of "Moo".

:ninja:

I guess it should have been Berserkers, Borg and Bovines.

There is hardly a need for a Death Machine race when you can become one.  We Bovine's have almost transitioned to our new mechanical existance where we exist only  as a consciencousness that can transfer from one robotic body to another.  A couple of factors have hindered our final transformation though:

1) A disturbing tendency for our mechanical bodies to end up at Country and Western Star Bar locations.  This isn't necessarily a negative as many provacatively clad female lifeforms seem to enjoy using those bodies in ways that make us feel.....good.

:ninja::laugh::D:ranting::laugh::laugh:

That's funny.