Rolling Thunder Forums

NM order

Prospective

I have a question regarding the NM (naval movement) order that hopefully someone can help me with.

Let's say I warp into a system for the first time. Am I required to do s SS (system scan) before I move to a planet?

What happens if I issue a NM to planet 1 without doing a SS? As long as the system is not a nexus and planet 1 exists, would my ship move? Or would I get an invalid movement order and then be forced to do a SS on the following turn?

Thanks for the help.

The NM should fail. However, there have been many times I've done a SS (and in the same turn) then NM to planet 1, Pmap, etc., as long as the SS is first, this has worked for me. B)

I have a question regarding the NM (naval movement) order that hopefully someone can help me with.

Let's say I warp into a system for the first time.  Am I required to do s SS (system scan) before I move to a planet? 

What happens if I issue a NM to planet 1 without doing a SS?  As long as the system is not a nexus and planet 1 exists, would my ship move?  Or would I get an invalid movement order and then be forced to do a SS on the following turn?

Thanks for the help.

The NM should fail.  However, there have been many times I've done a SS (and in the same turn) then NM to planet 1, Pmap, etc., as long as the SS is first, this has worked for me. B)

Let's say I warp into a system for the first time.  Am I required to do s SS (system scan) before I move to a planet? 

What happens if I issue a NM to planet 1 without doing a SS?  As long as the system is not a nexus and planet 1 exists, would my ship move?  Or would I get an invalid movement order and then be forced to do a SS on the following turn?

Thanks for the help.

Interesting way to managing things, but I tend to conserve orders now that it is easy to generate 120 for a single turn. As a matter of fict, it is hard to stay at 120! So ordering a fleet to do something that may or may not succeed seems excessive, when I only need to wait another turn. Oh for the days when I was looking for ways to intelligently use 40 orders. Or justify another 10 to get up to the full 80.....

Octus

(STILL not Friday night.....)

You can't leave a WP in a system until you have SS'd the system.  Even if you already know the WP or planet that you want to go to.  Doing the SS loads the system information into your database so you can go to the location, or something like that.

:oops:

If you warp into a system, you can do a SURV of the entry warp point prior to doing an SS. However, the database then lists it as an unexplored WP as well as on the Explored list if you were successful in cracking it. This is due to the way that SS populates the database. Therefore I always do an SS prior to doing a SURV rather than the other way around.

But it is Friday morning in NZ so we are getting closer. B)

You can't leave a WP in a system until you have SS'd the system.  Even if you already know the WP or planet that you want to go to.  Doing the SS loads the system information into your database so you can go to the location, or something like that.

:P

If you warp into a system, you can do a SURV of the entry warp point prior to doing an SS. However, the database then lists it as an unexplored WP as well as on the Explored list if you were successful in cracking it. This is due to the way that SS populates the database. Therefore I always do an SS prior to doing a SURV rather than the other way around.

But it is Friday morning in NZ so we are getting closer. B)

I havent tried this myself but what if you have a High AP survey ship warp in

do a surv and a SS and then attempt to move via a NM order?

assuming of course there is a star system the SS order should allow subsequent

movement no? if a nexus it would fail but heck you might lucky from time to time. :oops:

After you conduct the SS you are free to do whatever you want. You can always try and move to a planet. If you have advanced info on the system you can move to another WP or to a planet in system.

I think Pete fixed the problem of the system not showing up as being surveyed. Seems like this was part of last turns fixes.

B):oops:

I've done NM to planets without scanning and had it work. Did so when in a couple of systems fighting NSI. Warp into system, use up AP on warp, and won a small battle with small ships. Attempted to keep the ships alive from counter-attack by doing an NM to some location as my very first order next turn (assuming worst case that NSI would NM in counter-attack first on the very first move the next turn). Haven't had to do so in quite some time. But I do remember it worked when there were planets. I've also editted the order text file and put in a move order when system wasn't surveyed (Warp to system with NTWD equipped ship, Manually entered Move order to known WP of ally, Survey, Warp). Can't remember if it worked.

Of course I'm taking some nice medicine right now for a cold .. and all my memories could be loopy. B)

I think Pete fixed the problem of the system not showing up as being surveyed. Seems like this was part of last turns fixes.

I think your right about that. I had forgotten that Pete had put in a note about fixing the "SURV but shows up on the unsurveyed list" problem. I always go SS, SURV out of force of habit now so this has not been in an issue for me for a long time. B)

I've done NM to planets without scanning and had it work.  Did so when in a couple of systems fighting NSI.  Warp into system, use up AP on warp, and won a small battle with small ships.  Attempted to keep the ships alive from counter-attack by doing an NM to some location as my very first order next turn (assuming worst case that NSI would NM in counter-attack first on the very first move the next turn).  Haven't had to do so in quite some time.  But I do remember it worked when there were planets.  I've also editted the order text file and put in a  move order when system wasn't surveyed (Warp to system with NTWD equipped ship, Manually entered Move order to known WP of ally, Survey, Warp).  Can't remember if it worked.

Of course I'm taking some nice medicine right now for a cold .. and all my memories could be loopy.  B)

Trying to do a move without a SS will not work, but if you do a WARP, SS, MOVE, SURV, WARP in the same turn using allies information it will certainly work, if done 4 succesive systems in one turn this way.

]

I havent tried this myself but what if you have a High AP survey ship warp in

do a surv and a SS and then attempt to move via a NM order?

assuming of course there is a star system the SS order should allow subsequent

movement no? if a nexus it would fail but heck you might lucky from time to time. :ninja:

yes, this works fine. SS, SURV, then NM or MOVE work... you just need to know where you are going, or you get lucky and can move to a planet... I haven't tried guessing warp point numbers yet... :laugh:

-LX