Rolling Thunder Forums

Neutral Empires

ali-t-akua

How many neutrals have you found?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the thread on Advanced Tech and Resources there is a lot of discussion about the value of neutrals. I thought it might be good to get an idea of how frequently people are finding neutrals.

In the year and a half I have been playing and with 95 systems PMAPed I have found exactly one neutral. A primitive with 5 pop, 2 installations and 16 textiles.

Wow... you have PMAP'ed 95 systems completely?!?!?  Now that's a lot of orders.  I stopped after acquiring the Advanced Neutral and finding it was not worth the waste of orders.

I found my 1 and ONLY advanced neutral in my own home system (lucky me?)

NOT.... The nuetral had a few installations but they were broken of course. The

linear accelerator I would like to have functional one of these days.

The only silver lining is that they are growing 1 pop per turn and they now have

115 pop. Nothing to get all excited about but finally able to do some minimal mining and production.

Wow... you have PMAP'ed 95 systems completely?!?!?  Now that's a lot of orders.  I stopped after acquiring the Advanced Neutral and finding it was not worth the waste of orders.

Well until the latest series of threads I had just assumed that my experience with neutrals was unique. Now I know better and I will rethink doing PMAPs in the future.

I have stopped using the PMAP order on all planets in a system as I find it a waste to search for Neutrals, Advanced or Primitive. I do use it to screen potential colony sites though. If a planet has a compatable atmosphere and appears to be of a compatable type, I do a PMAP to get the Temp, Ocean, Gravity and Tilt factors. If they are all close to my Homeworld, I then do a CSV Order. If that is promising, I do a GEO Order. If all looks good, I send forth a Colony ship. :o

Way back in the beginning, I did the whole GEO, PMAP, CSV suite on every planet and moon. On my 40 Orders per turn budget, I no longer do so. :blink:

FWIW,

-SK :P

I have stopped using the PMAP order on all planets in a system as I find it a waste to search for Neutrals, Advanced or Primitive.  I do use it to screen potential colony sites though.  If a planet has a compatable atmosphere and appears to be of a compatable type, I do a PMAP to get the Temp, Ocean, Gravity and Tilt factors.  If they are all close to my Homeworld, I then do a CSV Order.  If that is promising, I do a GEO Order.  If all looks good, I send forth a Colony ship.  :o

Way back in the beginning, I did the whole GEO, PMAP, CSV suite on every planet and moon.  On my 40 Orders per turn budget, I no longer do so. :blink:

FWIW,

-SK  :P

Since I find that with Domed Cities atmosphere is not a major factor for me, I guess I can feel better about all of these PMAPs I have. Temperature on the other hand. Ack! :blink:

We have found ten so far, and after seeing the benefits of peaceful alliance most of them have joined us. :o You never know where having a small forward base might be useful....

I don't bother doing anything other than PMAPs on worlds with atmospheres, so it keeps the orders down. (System Probes help much in that regard too.) They like Advanced Goods of any stripe: in my experience Advanced Black Market Goods and Advanced Phamaceuticals help along negotiations nicely. :P Using an XDIP order cuts down on the orders too...

So far I have not seen any functional installations, and found items has been luck of the draw going from the worst of getting 5 Improved Plantfood (yes, that's it) to getting 4 System Probes, 2 Drone Racks, and 16 Light X-ray lasers - from an advanced neutral. Usually it is somewhere between.

It will be nice to know when more of the diplomacy parts of the game are fully functional, it has the chance to add some nice color to the game.

-LX

Since I can colonize 'most anything I do a GEO first to see if it is worth looking at further. I have found 3 neutrals in the same system before and some of the items found have been quite impressive. Finding NTWD's is pretty nice and so are undamaged installations.

I will likely find many more neutrals with system probes, especially in those really large systems with 30+ planets.

:P

Alas having only searched a quople of systems out, I have found none, then again unless they live in the depths of space I doubt I should be finding many. :D

I tend to find that doing a PMAP first, keeps the number of orders down, you can get a general idea of the resources and habitability of the world from that. So if it looks worth wild the scout spends the next turn getting more detailed results, if not they move on to the next world.

BTW for those who are still new to this game, whats a system probe. :blush:

Alas having only searched a quople of systems out, I have found none, then again unless they live in the depths of space I doubt I should be finding many. :D

I tend to find that doing a PMAP first, keeps the number of orders down, you can get a general idea of the resources and habitability of the world from that.  So if it looks worth wild the scout spends the next turn getting more detailed results, if not they move on to the next world.

BTW for those who are still new to this game, whats a system probe.  :blush:

A system Probe is a device that you use by using the jettison command.

the 'Probe' then begine to scan the system it is in and determines if there are

any 'emmissions' detected coming from any of the worlds in orbit. Very useful

for finding advanced nuetrals or player Homeworlds.

Research the sensor and drone tech trees grasshopper. ;) There are branches

off each of those trees that need to be researched but once you get them a very useful item indeed.

:D That should have read planets, not systems. Sorry for the confusion.

Total planets Pmapped across several races: 773

Total Neutrals located: 14

Total under my benovolent guidance: all of em :blush:

Most of the ones I've encountered (for whatever reason) have been on the moons of Gas Giants (11 of the 14). Those are a pain because once they join, a bug in the system moves part of the definition for the neutral to the gas giant. I've had to have Pete fix the neutrals back to their moons once they peacefully joined. Only 2 advanced neutrals in the group, and one was pretty sparse on any goods. The rest we are still trying to teach that Fire Good... Still, drop some CM, and they are useful for buildin Astronomical Observatories or like items (if you need help with the WP's in the system). Beyond that .. mostly a waste of time.

;) That should have read planets, not systems. Sorry for the confusion.

Total planets Pmapped across several races: 773

Total Neutrals located: 14

Total under my benovolent guidance: all of em :blush:

Most of the ones I've encountered (for whatever reason) have been on the moons of Gas Giants (11 of the 14). Those are a pain because once they join, a bug in the system moves part of the definition for the neutral to the gas giant. I've had to have Pete fix the neutrals back to their moons once they peacefully joined.

Maybe some of the population objects to affiliating with you WKE so they flee to the Gas Giant. :D

Thanks for the stats. It looks like you get a neutral about every 50 to 60 planets surveyed.

I still do the full suite of ORB, CSV, GEO and PMAP on all planets.

Even the ones I cannot colonise (or very difficult), since it may open an opportunity for an ally to exploit that planet (in exchange for something).

I will allow allies into my territory to colonise planets I cannot colonise myself, after negotiations on how to split the spoils or for similar access.

I have PMAPped about 400 planets, only found 1 neutral.

It was an interesting one though: 150 pop (now over 200), including FTWD's, Improved heavy machinery and a power installation generating a whopping 50,000 power per turn!