Rolling Thunder Forums

The Roman War: All is Quiet?

NeilGartner

Happy New Years Everyone! ;)

Yes, the Drakan Republic is still here and growing. :cheers:

I have noticed that all battle reports concerning the assault on the Roman Empire has grown silent, ever since that laughable attempt to land troops on their homeworld without the protection of warships.

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index....1161&hl=gunnery

Has the Roman tormentors packed up and all went home?

NeilGartner

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it is just the quiet before the storm, Mr Gartner.

Or the eye of the hurricane ... :cheers:

I'm sure that either (1) the foes of the Romans are rebuilding their warfleets and preparing to make another assault; (2) the Romans are building a counterstrike fleet to inflict a bit of payback on their foes; or (3) both. :cheers:

Regardless, that war is far from over, I bet.

-SK ;)

There is also the further option, that they have either worked out their differences, either through talk or by jumping up and down on the opponets homeworld. :D

I would be placing my bet on 3 however, since the last battle report had a 16 million ton carrier in it.

There is also the further option, that they have either worked out their differences, either through talk or by jumping up and down on the opponets homeworld. :ranting:

I would be placing my bet on 3 however, since the last battle report had a 16 million ton carrier in it.

My basis for not putting down "worked out their differences" is the fact that way too much [virtual] blood has been spilled at this point. Plus I think that the Romans now have an ally so it's now 3 Empires v. 2 Empires, so there is no incentive in the Roman camp to make "peace". I'm thinking that the Propaganda Department on the Roman Homeworld is busy printing posters with [insert Empire Name Here] Delinda Est on them. :ranting:

Note: I may be wrong on the total number of Empires involved now, but I do know that it's no longer 2+ Empires v. 1 Empire [Rome]. :ranting:

-SK :D

I'm thinking that the Propaganda Department on the Roman Homeworld is busy printing posters with [insert Empire Name Here] Delinda Est on them.   :ranting:

I think its actually Mortua Est. :ranting:

Hrm ... my Latin never was the best. I thought the Senator's ending line was always Carthago Delinda Est, or something to that effect? (I will readily admit I probably have my declinations wrong.) <shrug> Kill 'em all ... wipe 'em out ... destroy all monsters ... all your bases are belong to us ... whatever rallying cry works for your people. :ranting:

-SK :D

May I ask how this conflict started? I seem to recall it started over a player shooting at a trespassing scout ship and after that the entire affair became two battlefields, one taking place in the game and other here on the forum for exchanging insults.

I think the actual reasons may be lost in the mists of history. Now it is is a blood feud. :D

And to be completely accurate:

Cato the elder is said to have finished his speeches with

"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse" (Wikipedia)

"For the rest I am of the opinion that Carthago should be destroyed"

May I ask how this conflict started? I seem to recall it started over a player shooting at a trespassing scout ship and after that the entire affair became two battlefields, one taking place in the game and other here on the forum for exchanging insults.

Wasn't (isn't) Mad Martin controlling one of the Empires attacking the Romans? :huh: For that would explain a lot ... if not, I may be confusing my intergalactic conflicts.

-SK :jawdrop:

not to be nit-picking but it's delenda I don't know why but I find delinda disturbing  :huh:

I don't mind the nit-picking. I'm well aware that my Latin was never the best. The fact that I even tried to learn Latin in an American public school probably makes me some kind of statistical oddity. I never was one who marched lock-step with the rest of the drones. (No offense meant to our sentient instectile fellows. :D )

Cato the elder is said to have finished his speeches with "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse" (Wikipedia) -- "For the rest I am of the opinion that Carthago should be destroyed"

:huh:

That's what I was trying to refer to in my afflicted Latin misquotation. When I screw up a historical reference, I really do a good job of it. I'm glad somebody smarter than me was able to figure it out.

Thanks AKO! :D

I have noticed that all battle reports concerning the assault on the Roman Empire has grown silent, ever since that laughable attempt to land troops on their homeworld without the protection of warships.

Has the Roman tormentors packed up and all went home?

The Roman Empire posted the results of the last titanic battle waged against the PA forces. And for those keeping score...it was 3 PA empires (Eyre, Go'ald, and Tentacles) against just Rome for the longest time. But then The Star Kingdom of Valkor arrived to succor the besieged Romans.

Please reference battle report in "Weak Screen Ships" thread. We will "bump" the thread for you.

MMB was the long-time protagonist behind the Eyre and Go'ald and claimed that he was leaving (running). Both Eyre and Go'ald are known to be active from reports received via the Combined Fleets of Rome and Valkor.

As to how the war started? Well, it was really two separate wars that ran together as the fronts met in space. Eyre broke an established treaty with Valkor defining the Deliah System as joint-use space and introduced warships into agreed "unarmed" space...and then proceeded to invade Valkor space by several sytems in the <censored> warp chain. Valkor destroyed the invading force and recaptured all lost territory...and launched a counter-offensive into Eyre space.

Simultaneously, a Go'ald Mothership blasted it's way through a Roman Orbital fleet and achieved control of the orbits around the Roman HW. Roman fleet units rallied, destroyed the Mothership and a Tentacles ship loaded to the gills with MDDs attempting to move into position to bomb the Roman HW. Roman forces re-established control of the warp point, but later, another large enemy fleet arrived with Eyre and Go'ald forces. Through sheer madness, the enemy attempted to close on the Roman HW with ONLY troop transports for an invasion...the Roman defenses utterly ravaged them upon reaching orbit, annihilating them (the Great Ovitrigailo Turkey Shoot). Also, several Eyre troop transports attempting to hide in planetary orbit in a neighboring system ran into a Roman Pathfinder (Yes, we too found it highly fortuitous), which destroyed all transports and their assault divisions.

In the final chapter leading to the present, a combined Roman and Valkor force met the reinforced Eyre/Go'ald fleet with a combined assault (coordinated warp point assault and in-system assault by allied forces) and destroyed this very large force in place, with minimal losses. This was about 2 turns ago...3 max. This is described in the "bumped" thread I alluded to earlier.

Hope this catches the crowd up...