Rolling Thunder Forums

Find the error :)

rotor911

Lol, do you remember those 'something is lacking in this image' games in the magazines that we read when we were much younger. Well, something is missing in this NUD. What it is? And, yes, I actually built the cursed things and sent them into space before realising that something was wrong.

NUD: Starship, Lurker, L, Light Pulse Laser, 1, Mk II Computer System, 1, Mk II Fusion Engine, 70, Mk II Medium Range Sensor, 5, Fuel Shuttle, 1, Fuel Tankage, 2400, Mk III Jump Survey Sensor, 1, 10cm Gauss Gun, 1, Titanium Composite Armor, 4400

Lol, do you remember those 'something is lacking in this image' games in the magazines  that we read when we were much younger. Well, something is missing in this NUD. What it is? And, yes, I actually built the cursed things and sent them into space before realising that something was wrong.

NUD: Starship, Lurker, L, Light Pulse Laser, 1, Mk II Computer System, 1, Mk II Fusion Engine, 70, Mk II Medium Range Sensor, 5, Fuel Shuttle, 1, Fuel Tankage, 2400, Mk III Jump Survey Sensor, 1, 10cm Gauss Gun, 1, Titanium Composite Armor, 4400

hmmm, someone was just discussing how expensive HW system screening ships could be....

Luckily for folks there is the scrap order. So tear em down to get the materials back, and rebuild em the right way.

Oh .... and welcome to the club. My big blunders - forgetting to include Fuel tanks on a large colonizer ship (which I uncovered trying to load fuel ... designing a ship with Cargo Barges instead of Bays ... and designing a ship with a type of Weapon I did not have (trying to use up some Explore finds and I typed Mk III instead of II).

Hmmmm .. I wonder what is the worst build blunder anyone has made out there. Anyone want to volunteer such information?

No - :D

The absolute worst blunder you can do - which I strongly recommend you pin a yellow sticky above the screen for, is this.......

You start your turn with a reasonably long new convoy route that you wrote down and planned in advance - 20 lines or so will be enough.......

And you forget to put in the final CNVR order to close out the route..... :ninja:

After which you're now keen and write a further 180 orders or so, because you're psyched and there's plenty to do this turn.....

(small aside - you've been playing a while and you also have a couple of hundred Standing Orders).

And in a few days time you get you turn back......

To find out that you now have a 300 line convoy route as, after your meticulously planned convoy route was added, is every allowable order you wrote, plus every Standing Order that's also allowable added too.

You go through your turn in abject horror, feeling only slightly pleased that the occasion SS order worked and you did learn something new - but every SURV order was done somewhere you had already done, becuase the MOVE order went in the convoy route. :P

The only thing you can do is write humble pie to the Great Oracle and ask that he just delete from the new convoy route (now filling 5 extra pages near the back) all orders from line 210 inclusive to 3000......... :P

And set about working out where everything is now..... :)

Chastened Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

A new section for the News letter?

Strange Designs and ship designations. i.e. Frontier Assault Carrier. That was the description for a freighter that I designed. Not at all what I meant to design, but 'hey'.

No -  :D

The absolute worst blunder you can do - which I strongly recommend you pin a yellow sticky above the screen for, is this.......

You start your turn with a reasonably long new convoy route that you wrote down and planned in advance - 20 lines or so will be enough.......

And you forget to put in the final CNVR order to close out the route..... :ninja:

After which you're now keen and write a further 180 orders or so, because you're psyched and there's plenty to do this turn.....

(small aside - you've been playing a while and you also have a couple of hundred Standing Orders).

To find out that you now have a 300 line convoy route as, after your meticulously planned convoy route was added, is every allowable order you wrote, plus every Standing Order that's also allowable added too.

You go through your turn in abject horror, feeling only slightly pleased that the occasion SS order worked and you did learn something new - but every SURV order was done somewhere you had already done, becuase the MOVE order went in the convoy route. :(

The only thing you can do is write humble pie to the Great Oracle and ask that he just delete from the new convoy route (now filling 5 extra pages near the back) all orders from line 210 inclusive to 3000.........  :P

I did that. In fact it states in the rules that if you set up a convoy route at the end of your turn and you don't put a CNVR in it will terminate once it has completed the rules. What it does not state is that Standing Orders are counted. Pete did fix the problem but it is something to be wary of. :P

No -  :P

You go through your turn in abject horror, feeling only slightly pleased that the occasion SS order worked and you did learn something new - but every SURV order was done somewhere you had already done, becuase the MOVE order went in the convoy route. :(

The only thing you can do is write humble pie to the Great Oracle and ask that he just delete from the new convoy route (now filling 5 extra pages near the back) all orders from line 210 inclusive to 3000.........  :P

OUCH!

Other than a few bad NUDs, my major problem is in the middle of an important convoy route, I put in the wrong colony #### for the LC order. Not a horrible mistake, other than the fact EVRY fleet needs more fuel from that planet and they can't load anything! So have to rewrite the route eventually. Then reassign several fleets. Too many orders take priority every turn these days.

Octus :D

I forgot to delete the prior turn orders and re-submitted them... Of course it happen to be for the turn when all RC's cleared out tech and needed a new SRP.

I got a nice bunch of order garbage and 25RC's researching Tazer...

I REALLY hate it when you skip an early WARP order in a long scouting chain and the Captain is so stupid he does not know how to keep from squandering fuel WARPing between stars he was not located at.

For NUD's I have had the misfortune to misspell either a found item or something from a neighbor. The design still went through, minus the item and the ship was built. Of course I didn't notice it until I hve already moved it out the next turn.

I have mangled a convoy route on several occasions with results about like the Urlords.

Of course there is the careful series of attack order designed to coordinate several empires that had a small error so part of the fleets did not arrive. Nothing on the scale of the Collectors mishap, but still a mess.

Then there is the production error that causes most of your production to fail. How about the one where you are "upgrading" power plants to better ones, but don't have any fuel to run them. This goes unnoticed for a couple of turns until you run out of RAW and then you find that most of your fuels are consumed.

I really love checking convoy routes. My turn is over 500 pages and most of them are convoy routes. Errors generally take a long time to show themselves.

Just a few nuggets from the school of hard knocks.

:ninja:

Then there is the production error that causes most of your production to fail.  How about the one where you are "upgrading" power plants to better ones, but don't have any fuel to run them.  This goes unnoticed for a couple of turns until you run out of RAW and then you find that most of your fuels are consumed.

:D

I think that could be the worst one on the list. Ack, it is possible that you might never recover. :ninja:

Then there is the production error that causes most of your production to fail.  How about the one where you are "upgrading" power plants to better ones, but don't have any fuel to run them.  This goes unnoticed for a couple of turns until you run out of RAW and then you find that most of your fuels are consumed.

:D

I think that could be the worst one on the list. Ack, it is possible that you might never recover. :ninja:

nah, you can always use the CM play-doh to make a huge # of hydro plants for a single turn...not that that has ever happened...cough cough

You could setup a lovely convoy route to supply one of your most attrition hugging colonies with the 250 pop it needs per turn to stay alive. A mining colony meticously designed for survival.You design the right ships and assign them to the convoy route as well as the ships designed to haul home that lovely 1,5 mil of Crystal every turn. Then you could forget to actually train colonists on your HW and then you could forget about the whole thing for two turns untill you wonder why your production line crashes since you have too little crystal and you notice that your colony has gone extinct since of course the first attrition victim was the most important attrition reducing installations and that meant the whole colony of more than 3000 pop went kablooey...Then you could swear, tear your hair and reach for the blood pressure medicine.

Aah, this was an early mistake but not easily forgotten, SNROE is not a forgiving system...

Cheers

/Locklyn