Rolling Thunder Forums

question about sensors

rotor911

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does somebody know what medium and long range sensors "see" that short range ones  don't?  Can they see enemy ships in the whole system rather than in their current location? Objects that you wouldn't see otherwise?  Thx

That's a good question. Over the years it has been revealed that sensors can assist in exploration and in combat. However, it has never been clearly explained. Additionally, short of an enemy ship with cloaking technology (bearing in mind cloaking isn't working the way it's supposed to be according to those who have it) you will see other ships when you scan for them or when you are at the same location.

some of the others (Hobknob, Ur-Lord, Locklyn, ShadowKitsume or Eternus) may be able to explain this better.

Lord Uriel

Does somebody know what medium and long range sensors "see" that short range ones  don't?  Can they see enemy ships in the whole system rather than in their current location? Objects that you wouldn't see otherwise?  Thx

There does seem to be some effect in combat as there is a sensor status on the battle report. However it is not clear what impact this has on the actual battle.

Alos, if you read the descriptions, sensors apparently help defend against mines but there are also specific sensors that address mines so Lord Uriel is correct in stating that their purpose has never been fully explained.

To date, Short/Medium/Long Range Sensors - in and of themselves - are just the defensive counterpart to Mines. Medium and Long are just better than the Short Range versions. The big plus to the researching them all is that they open up other branches of technology.

-SK :ninja:

Thanks but what excited my curiosity is that the long range sensors ANZ does not contain the " Sensor Strength: xxxxxx/Counters: Minefields" lines as the others sensors. Is it a bug or are they really useless? Problem is that, even if these sensors allow (for instance) to "sense" all a system, there's no way to test it as long as you haven't met another empire.

Thanks but what excited my curiosity is that the long range sensors ANZ does not contain the " Sensor Strength: xxxxxx/Counters: Minefields" lines as the others sensors. Is it a bug or are they really useless? Problem is that, even if these sensors allow (for instance) to "sense" all a system, there's no way to test it as long as you haven't met another empire.

I think that's a bug rather than anything else. I'd e-mail Pete.

-SK :ninja:

Sensors are anit-mine stuff and that is about it. There are a few that are suppose to help find cloaked or otherwise hidden ships but they are pretty specific about it in the description.

It seems reasonable that long range sensors would see more, but that is not the case. Most folks go for long range sensors to get to what is beyond them as has been mentioned by others.

I have found that ANZ's that seem to be missing something as compared to similar techs are really just missing some text. I have made several bad assumptions when I thought that there was a difference. In every case, Pete has clarified my mistaken assumptions.

:ninja:

Sensors are anit-mine stuff and that is about it.  There are a few that are suppose to help find cloaked or otherwise hidden ships but they are pretty specific about it in the description.

It seems reasonable that long range sensors would see more, but that is not the case.  Most folks go for long range sensors to get to what is beyond them as has been mentioned by others.

I have found that ANZ's that seem to be missing something as compared to similar techs are really just missing some text.  I have made several bad assumptions when I thought that there was a difference.  In every case, Pete has clarified my mistaken assumptions.

Mk I Short Range Sensor: The Mk I Short Range Sensor is a first generation naval sensor system. It is a

self-contained, multi-purpose unit capable of handling all routine navigational duties as

well as serving as the primary target acquisition and fire control sensor system during

combat. Accordingly, the system has a 360 ° field of vision and is equipped with the

latest in sensor technology. (100 tons) 100 Transaluminum - 400 Electronics

Everyone starts with this system and I can see where there is much confusion.

this description seems to indicate that this system is multipurpose and that one

of its purposes is to serve as the PRIMARY target acquisition and fire control sensor during combat.

further analysis via ANZ seems to indicate that this system is used to counter mines but it still has a 'sensor strenght'.

This begs the question ...

are these types of sensors required when other sensor types like Mass Dectector

Sensor or Gravitonic Sensor Web or Fleet Patrol Sensor etc etc are researched?

Probably doesnt matter much so long as the system you have has a 'sensor

strenght' which probably modifies some combat variable associated with...

you guessed it sensors!!!!

Sensors are anit-mine stuff and that is about it.  There are a few that are suppose to help find cloaked or otherwise hidden ships but they are pretty specific about it in the description.

It seems reasonable that long range sensors would see more, but that is not the case.  Most folks go for long range sensors to get to what is beyond them as has been mentioned by others.

I have found that ANZ's that seem to be missing something as compared to similar techs are really just missing some text.  I have made several bad assumptions when I thought that there was a difference.  In every case, Pete has clarified my mistaken assumptions.

Mk I Short Range Sensor: The Mk I Short Range Sensor is a first generation naval sensor system. It is a

self-contained, multi-purpose unit capable of handling all routine navigational duties as

well as serving as the primary target acquisition and fire control sensor system during

combat. Accordingly, the system has a 360 ° field of vision and is equipped with the

latest in sensor technology. (100 tons) 100 Transaluminum - 400 Electronics

Everyone starts with this system and I can see where there is much confusion.

this description seems to indicate that this system is multipurpose and that one

of its purposes is to serve as the PRIMARY target acquisition and fire control sensor during combat.

further analysis via ANZ seems to indicate that this system is used to counter mines but it still has a 'sensor strenght'.

This begs the question ...

are these types of sensors required when other sensor types like Mass Dectector

Sensor or Gravitonic Sensor Web or Fleet Patrol Sensor etc etc are researched?

Probably doesnt matter much so long as the system you have has a 'sensor

strenght' which probably modifies some combat variable associated with...

you guessed it sensors!!!!

I remember back on the old old boards when the game was starting and we asked how ship detection worked vis a vis Sensors...since it was discovered that a ship that basically was a fuel tank with engines could detect a ship as efficiently as one with Sensors bristling all over it, and since even cloaked ships have been detected by fuel tankers...we're still waiting for an answer from Pete on this one...

Cheers

/Locklyn

After piecing together many emails and disparate conversations with players and GM's alike, I get the the following. I think it is close.

Systems like FPS-fleet patrol sensors and Mass detector sensors are primarily for spotting ships that are trying to be cloaked or something else. Their primary function is not to detect mines, so they would not be as efficient as plain old sensors. However, as they get better and better tech wise, that portion that is used to detect mines may actually wind up being superior to your plain old Short Range Sensors if you don't continue to upgrade them.

I beg to differ for Mass detector sensors. They're extremely useful defensive systems since they defend both against gravitonics and mines. If they really help spotting cloaked ships too, they give incredible value for the money :ninja:

ANZ: Mk I Mass Detector Sensor

Mk I Mass Detector Sensor: Mass Detectors are extremely useful sensor systems that perform a dual purpose mission.

The detection of enemy starships is of paramount importance, and it is very difficult for

them to hide their very mass from the prying eyes of a MDS. Additionally, enemy weapons

systems that rely upon Gravitonic effects can be countered somewhat should their

mass-distorting properties be detected early enough. Mass Detector Sensors are more

sensors than defensive systems, but they do come in handy for both purposes. (1,000 tons)

4,000 Improved Electronics - 1,000 Improved Transaluminum

Classification: Sensor Structural Integrity: 1000

Prerequisite Technologies: Mk I Long Range Sensor, 2nd Generation Space Science

Displacement Blink Speed: Good

Counters: Gravitonics

Sensor Strength: Good

Counters: Minefields

There were stats seen in the Naval Combat Reports and sufficient information has been seen to encourage the following understanding:

All those sensors that are dual-use (Short, Medium, Long, SLY, FPS, Mass, Gravitic) give a defensive benefit as well as the 'sensor' benefit we imply from the ANZ description - which is basically a 'chance' to see something that's trying not to be seen.

However, they are half as 'powerful' in the defensive realm as the dedicated Space Mine Scanner defence and, we assume, the other specific defenses (like gravitonic).

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

I beg to differ for Mass detector sensors. They're extremely useful defensive systems since they defend both against gravitonics and mines. If they really help spotting cloaked ships too, they give incredible value for the money :ninja:

Mk I Mass Detector Sensor: Mass Detectors are extremely useful sensor systems that perform a dual purpose mission.

The detection of enemy starships is of paramount importance, and it is very difficult for

them to hide their very mass from the prying eyes of a MDS. Additionally, enemy weapons

systems that rely upon Gravitonic effects can be countered somewhat should their

mass-distorting properties be detected early enough. Mass Detector Sensors are more

sensors than defensive systems, but they do come in handy for both purposes. (1,000 tons)

Which raises another interesting question. Why research gravatonic weapons as one's main battle weapon? They seem easily countered by other techs that seem mandatory for other reasons (as above). I know, there may be enticing branchs of the grav tree, but for a weapons system alone?

(Guess I just highjacked this thread.....)

Octus

Which raises another interesting question. Why research gravatonic weapons as one's main battle weapon? They seem easily countered by other techs that seem mandatory for other reasons (as above). I know, there may be enticing branchs of the grav tree, but for a weapons system alone?

(Guess I just highjacked this thread.....)

Octus

The same can be said about missile weapons or fighters. There are systems out

there namely ENGINES that counter those very weapons but and this is a BUT

it will take quite a few of those engines to make a difference as evidenced by the

combat document draft. And if a ship is designed with mainly engines then it wont

have too many other systems. Of course once you get to very advanced engines

this changes a bit but not much. Advanced missiles and fighter craft get even more

deadly and powerful.

By following a pattern I have seen in the size of a certain missile weapon system

a 22000 ton missile will have a firepower of nearly 3 million and a manuver rating

that is off the chart on the example given in the combat document.

Food for thought. :D