Rolling Thunder Forums

Starting Position and Ship design question

Chargerman

So I have read all the rules and many papers how to start out. This is what I have gathered so far please correct me if I’m wrong.

Home world

5 pop centers

1. 150K IC, 30K SM, 50 SY, 1 Slip, 2 Fission, 20mil Raw, 5mil CM

2. 150K IC, 10K SM, 25 SY, 1 Slip, 2 Fission, 14.9mil Raw, 1mil CM

3. 75K IC, 5K SM, 12 SY, 1 Slip, 1 Fission, 6.9mil Raw, 500K CM

4. 75K IC, 5K SM, 12 SY, 1 Slip, 1 Fission, 6.9mil Raw, 500K CM

5. 50K IC, 5K SM, 1 SY, 1 Slip, 1 Fission, 5.9mil Raw, 250K CM

5 Pathfinders in Q

An unknown # of other planets in system for possible colonization

Ok question is how much free POP do i have to play with?

Does it really make sense to put a little pop gun on a dedicated survey ship?

How close generally (I know it's kinda random) am I to my neighbors?

Can I reasonably expect to have a system or 2 as a buffer before I hit someone else?

I am just trying to plan my first few turns to get a good start. Opinions welcome!!

Thanks!!

:):blink::blink:

Home world

5 pop centers

1. 150K IC, 30K SM, 50 SY, 1 Slip, 2 Fission, 20mil Raw, 5mil CM

2. 150K IC, 10K SM, 25 SY, 1 Slip, 2 Fission, 14.9mil Raw, 1mil CM

3. 75K IC, 5K SM, 12 SY, 1 Slip, 1 Fission, 6.9mil Raw, 500K CM

4. 75K IC, 5K SM, 12 SY, 1 Slip, 1 Fission, 6.9mil Raw, 500K CM

5. 50K IC, 5K SM, 1 SY, 1 Slip, 1 Fission, 5.9mil Raw, 250K CM

The HW starting position has changed and you now get 1 pop center with all of the starting items rolled into that center.

5 Pathfinders in Q

You also start with a few assigned to fleets. You will also get a System Survey, A GEO, PMAP and ORB for the HW.

An unknown # of other planets in system for possible colonization

Ok question is how much free POP do i have to play with?

I am not sure if it varies but I had roughly 6k

Does it really make sense to put a little pop gun on a dedicated survey ship?

Depends on your philosophy. I dont think it is useful unless you plan to conduct gunboat diplomacy.

How close generally (I know it's kinda random) am I to my neighbors?

I have heard of some being 3 to 5 sysmtems away but my experience is my neighbors are further (or have dropped). You will have time to develop your empire before running into them basically.

Can I reasonably expect to have a system or 2 as a buffer before I hit someone else?

See previous answer.

The HW starting position has changed and you now get 1 pop center with all of the starting items rolled into that center.

So all that including 5 slips or just the one with 100 SY?

Also i may be missing something but what is the basic Science installation called you would build on your home world? thae only ones i found seem to be for other worlds?

Thank you SO much for your help :blink:

You get 100 shipyards but I believe you only get one slip now that you mention it.

Also i may be missing something but what is the basic Science installation called you would build on your home world? thae only ones i found seem to be for other worlds?

You can build the same science installations on your HW as you do on colony worlds. The installations help to crack WPs and alkso can be used to to ANZs on items you find in exploration.

There are 10 science installations to build. You build them all on your HW to help your scientists out. You also build them to help get past difficult WP's.

I have found the generally HW's are about 8 apart unless there is a one way or other high level WP involved.

You have plenty of time to plan before runing into anybody.

New positions generally start with about 8000 pop plus whatever you grow in a turn.

Welcome to the game and keep the questions coming.

:blink::blink::)

I started with 8,200 spare pop (plus what I grew by on turn 1), 1 slip, and what is listed below.

First Colony Report:

1 Astronomical Observatory

10 Fission Power Plant

10 Fuel Refinery

1 Imperial Army Boot Camp

1 Imperial Museum

1 Imperial Palace

1 Imperial Zoo

450,000 Industrial Complex

1 Science Outpost

100 Shipyard

85,000 Stripmining Complex

First Imperial Stockpile Report:

7,250,000 Construction Materials

100 Fuel

280 Gaseous Elements

15,000 Processed Radioactives

35,000 Radioactive Elements

104,189,000 Raw Resources

25,000 Steel

Yes, you'll have time to get spun up before a neighbor comes calling or before you find a neighbor.

Another piece of advice and which I overlooked for several turns is take full advantage of you entire Industrial Complexes! All together they can turn out 112,500,000 tons of material or resources per turn, so don't let any of it go to waste because you won't get them back.

Iron is one of the most important element in building your empire in turning out Steel to build your fleets or armies and you can never have too much of it. Crystals is another in making Electronics, so is Gaseous Elements, Petrochemicals and Industrial Chemicals in order to make Synthetic Materials, amongst many other things. Until you can colonize and mine other worlds, you'll have to depend on Raw Resources to make most these materials. But remember it costs 10 Raw Resources to make either 1 Iron, 1 Crystal, 1 Gaseous Element, 1 Petrochemicals or 1 Industrial Chemical. It is always better to dig this stuff out of the ground but until then, use the RRs up.

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers. :D

Ok new question.  I'm playing with ship designs and can't seem to find how much fuel a jump takes?  Did i miss something or can some one help me out?

Thanks

Oh it also looks like at least one of my friends is going to get his stuff in soon.

The information is out there ihn the forums but here is the way to calculate

Fuel used = warp point rating * Ship tonnage (in 1000s of tons)

Warp point rating is

A = 1

B = 2

C = 4

D = 9

E = 16

F = 25

G = 36

H = 49

and so on.

Example: Your pathfinder wishes to jump through a class C WP.

Class C = 4

Ship tonnage (in 1000s) = 12

Therefore your ship uses 48 tons of fuel.

Ok new question.  I'm playing with ship designs and can't seem to find how much fuel a jump takes?  Did i miss something or can some one help me out?

Thanks

Oh it also looks like at least one of my friends is going to get his stuff in soon.

It depends on the ship weight and the warp point class. There are spreadsheets around which do the maths right as far as I can tell.

There are a few spreadsheets 'out there', and some of the sages upon the boards sometimes share.

What else is useful....well lot's of things really (which of course don't come to mind at the moment), but ask on the boards (as well as searching them, including the old board?) and you'll normally get an answer that shouldn't leave you that confused! :D

Welcome, and remember to enjoy the SN:ROTE experience and have fun.

(You don't need to go to a StarBar either, but it's optional). :)

Another piece of advice and which I overlooked for several turns is take full advantage of you entire Industrial Complexes!  All together they can turn out 112,500,000 tons of material or resources per turn, so don't let any of it go to waste because you won't get them back.

Iron is one of the most important element in building your empire in turning out Steel to build your fleets or armies and you can never have too much of it.  Crystals is another in making Electronics, so is Gaseous Elements, Petrochemicals and Industrial Chemicals in order to make Synthetic Materials, amongst many other things.  Until you can colonize and mine other worlds, you'll have to depend on Raw Resources to make most these materials.  But remember it costs 10 Raw Resources to make either 1 Iron, 1 Crystal, 1 Gaseous Element, 1 Petrochemicals or 1 Industrial Chemical.  It is always better to dig this stuff out of the ground but until then, use the RRs up.

Hope this helps.   :)

Cheers.   :D

I agree wholeheartedly - definitely use all of your industrial output. A common practice is to issue an order with a high priority to catch any excess output that you might have, such as

BI, 90000000, Iron, 12345, 10000, Yes

(build 90 million Iron in pop group 12345 at priority 10000, tooled so this BI sticks around forever)

The idea is that you can always use Iron, and if you have any excees production output and sufficient raw resources lying around, your industries won't sit idle.

I agree wholeheartedly - definitely use all of your industrial output. A common practice is to issue an order with a high priority to catch any excess output that you might have, such as

(build 90 million Iron in pop group 12345 at priority 10000, tooled so this BI sticks around forever)

The idea is that you can always use Iron, and if you have any excees production output and sufficient raw resources lying around, your industries won't sit idle.

So just make sure you ALWAYS are producing enough raw Mats to use all your industrial capacity!

So just make sure you ALWAYS are producing enough raw Mats to use all your industrial capacity!

The kicker on this one is to add order 10001

BI, 99999999, Steel, 12345, 10001,YES

If you use up your RM, what iron you make can upgrade to steel using the last dregs of industrial capacity.