Rolling Thunder Forums

detection at sea

rotor911

Given a task force "strategic sea search rating" and the opposite task force "detection rating", does somebody know how to compute the chance that the first task force detects the second? Or at least has a raw idea of what the numbers "mean" : is a task force with a detect rating of 96 in a restricted sea zone very easy to detect, even by blind saiilors in a garbage scow :) ? easy to detect? a needle in a haystack? Thanks in advance!

Given a task force "strategic sea search rating" and the opposite task force "detection rating", does somebody know how to compute the chance that the first task force detects the second?  Or at least has a raw idea of what the numbers "mean" : is a task force with a detect rating of 96 in a restricted sea zone very easy to detect, even by blind saiilors in a garbage scow :) ? easy to detect? a needle in a haystack? Thanks in advance!

Good Question! Judging by the silence (especially from Russ) it appears there is insufficent data for people to make a judgement on the matter. Thats quite a statement for a game thats been in play for 15 years!

My only opinion is that Weather and Night issues have the largest bearing on the issue based solely on historical evidence. There is tons of evidence of early encounters between the German and the British in the Artic waters having inconclusive battles because of the diffuculty in maintaining contact with the enemy.

On the other hand we see that historically, in relatively good weather, that two English cruisers (with radar) were able to track the Bismark fairly well and when a British carrier was added to the mix the Bismark could not elude the British.

I have had three destroyers miss an enemy aircraft carrier at sea two out of three times they searched a sea zone. So my advice when searching for something in good weather have at least one cruiser if not two and in bad weather I do not have a recomendation.

Anyone have any ancedotes they can share to build suffiecent information to make a judgment?

As we all know the world is round, hence the higher a ships lookout, the further they can see. Thus, a crusier will generally see further then a destroyer, but, a destroyer is harder to be spotted then a crusier. (size of the stacks, exhust plume etc)

In saying that, many of the Japanese and US crusiers had spotter planes. (flew off the back, landed in the water, whinched back aboard) This also aided in reconnaissance and detection.