Rolling Thunder Forums

Convoys and Gas Stations

Octus Imperium

Planning to set up some refueling stations in a long, convoluted convoy routing, thanks to a one way WP. (Two jumps to get there, a dozen to get back!)

To avoid rewriting the convoy routes to include new stops at Gas Giant skimming operations and therefore using up more action points, I'd like to do the following. I think it will work out, but was wondering if anyone else is doing it this way.

1) Skimming at Gas Giant Pop Group 101

2) Tanker on resupply duty stationed at WP 102

3) Convoy route for the WP stationed tanker from WP102 to Pop Group 101 at in system Gas Giant to refuel each turn. (1 AP to move to Gas Giant, LC fuel, 1 AP to return to WP, sit there on resupply as convoys move past and get 'tanked up')

The question is, does being involved in a convoy route impede the resupply mission to passing convoys? I would start and finish each turn cycle at the WP and the convoy fleets will be passing by on a routine basis.

Thanks for any insights.

Octus Imperium :)

Don't put the tankers on a convoy route. Use standing orders for the NM, LC, MOVE orders. I have found that the convoy route messes up the resupply order. Using standing orders has worked well for me. They are also run prior to any convoy routes so you will always top off the tankers before any customers show up.

If you leave your tankers at one location and use another fleet to refill them, then you will not have any problems. The potential problems that I have encountered have arrisen when trying to use the Tanker fleet in a convoy route to go and collect the fuel. The fix is to have the tanker fleet move using standing orders.

For all I know, the convoy route approach may now work fine, but it hasn't always been that way.

:):P

I've run my skimmers from a GG to a pop group on a colonised planet in the system.  Then a separate fleet fills up the petrol station at the WP.  No problems thus far, but Hobknobs comments have worried me slightly now  <_<

This thread has been very valuable to me as I ahve been having a problem keeping my tankers fueled. I know realize that I have been approaching the problem in the wrong way and that convoy routes can solve my problem. Thanks to Hughestrog, Hobknob and Octus for the enlightening discussion.

I've run my skimmers from a GG to a pop group on a colonised planet in the system.  Then a separate fleet fills up the petrol station at the WP.  No problems thus far, but Hobknobs comments have worried me slightly now  <_<

This thread has been very valuable to me as I ahve been having a problem keeping my tankers fueled. I know realize that I have been approaching the problem in the wrong way and that convoy routes can solve my problem. Thanks to Hughestrog, Hobknob and Octus for the enlightening discussion.

I have always looked at it from an efficiency standpoint- Fuel shuttles make more fuel per turn if they only SKIM instead of also doing NM or MOVE.

I have always looked at it from an efficiency standpoint- Fuel shuttles make more fuel per turn if they only SKIM instead of also doing NM or MOVE.

at 100 AP, it really doesn't much matter.

at 100 AP, it really doesn't much matter.

Yes, only skimming with the dedicated skim ships filled with fuel shuttles. Will do the standing orders. Now, why didn't I think of that?!? Everyone's help much appreciated!

AP 100? Only a dream at present...........

Octus

• 2 months later...

After reading this thread, Ive thought of doing the following :

Build a very large tanker, and place it at a WP that I use very frequently (the in/out from my HW system, that leads to a cluster of 10 WPs) and put it on permanent SUPP duty, to refuel ships heading out and coming home.

Build several smaller tankers, with numerous fuel shuttles, and put them into a convoy route from one of the GGs in that system, skimming fuel, delivering it to the large tanker with Move and Fuel orders, and then returning to the GG.

This would seem to be a perfect plan to keep fuel flowing to the "Gas Station", except that I am concerned over one thing. Which order will take precedence? The FUEL order from the skimming convoy fleet, or the SUPP order from the "gas station"? Obviously I dont want the convoy fleet to deliver all its fuel to the supply tanker....and then have the SUPP order on the tanker, reload it all BACK onto the skimming ships.

Actually, after rereading the thread, I suppose it would be better to have THREE fleets: the Large tanker at the WP, a skimming fleet permanently stationed at the GG, and a third fleet of tankers on convoy to move the fuel from the GG to the WP, thus letting the fuel shuttles SKIM continuously and not lose time when their tankers are moving. But, the question still remains regarding the Large tanker. If it has a SUPP order, is it going to try to refill the smaller tankers with fuel once they have delivered the fuel to it?

Actually, after rereading the thread, I suppose it would be better to have THREE fleets: the Large tanker at the WP, a skimming fleet permanently stationed at the GG, and a third fleet of tankers on convoy to move the fuel from the GG to the WP, thus letting the fuel shuttles SKIM continuously and not lose time when their tankers are moving. But, the question still remains regarding the Large tanker. If it has a SUPP order, is it going to try to refill the smaller tankers with fuel once they have delivered the fuel to it?

I have the same concern. I do believe that the Large Tanker will try to refill the skimming fleet. I have actually put two fleets at each WP so that I can send one fleet to refill at a GG at a time. This works but uses up orders.

If someone has experience with using skimming fleets to refill SUPP fleets I would be interested as I would like to automate this process.

I have the same concern. I do believe that the Large Tanker will try to refill the skimming fleet. I have actually put two fleets at each WP so that I can send one fleet to refill at a GG at a time. This works but uses up orders.

If someone has experience with using skimming fleets to refill SUPP fleets I would be interested as I would like to automate this process.

I frequently use this particular method, myself.

The main thing to remember is that your refueling fleet try to fuel up any of your fleets that end up at the same location -- Immediately Following -- any successful MOVE or WARP order. (Or when a new ship is built into an existing fleet at the same location... but that is not relevant to our Gas Station discussion.) This includes when your skimmers show up at that location via the MOVE (or WARP) order in their convoy run. So yes, your large tanker will indeed try to top off the tanks of your skimmers.

The sollution is very simple. In the convoy run that services your "gas station," alway insert a

FUEL order transfering fuel from your skimmers to your large tanker, immediately following any order that moves said skimmers to that key location.

You probably would have done this anyway, given your skimmers mission. Like I said, the sollution is very simple. :D

TErnest

Ah! So that does solve the issue then. Neither order really takes precedence...but the SUPP order will activate immediately after the MOVE and BEFORE the FUEL in the convoy route, so even thought the tanker MAY try to fill the supply ships... if they are not 100% full...they will transfer anything they get BACK, before their NM back to the GG.