Rolling Thunder Forums

Surface Forts

Prospective

A few questions about surface forts.

When entering a NUD to design the fort, I am given the option of standard, aquatic or subterranean. Is there any tangible benefit (such as improved defensive ability) gained by choosing aquatic or subterranean over the standard surface fort, or is it "eye candy"?

If not eye candy, does the location affect the weapons strength at all? For instance, if I build Frost Cannons into an "Aquatic" base, will that degrade the weapons's effectiveness (will it freeze the ocean it passes thru, thereby reducing the damage potential on an orbiting target)? Same for plasma or energy discharge (lightning) type weaps, will they lose their effectiveness against orbital targets?

Also, should I classify the surface fort as "assault", "battle line", etc? Or should it be classified as "orbital" or PDC? I don't recall seeing an explanation as to how each of those classifications work (perhaps I've missed it somewhere).

Thanks.

Steve

The location bit is just for flavor. All SUrface forts work the same so it is just persoanl preferance.

You assign the surface structure to the location youwnat it to occupy in battle just like a ship. If you wnat your pill box to be on the front then assign it to Assault and then make sure that Assault is located in DepLoc 1 withthe battle plan that you use.

:)

When you design a ship with NUD, you assign it a formation (A,B,H, etc.) This formation servers two purposes.

1. It determines the order that ships jump through a warp point. Not applicable to Orbitals and Surface Fortresses.

2. When combined with FORM and NENC, the formation is used to place ships at deployment locations 1-12. This applies to Orbitals and Surface Fortresses just like Starships.

When you design a ship with NUD, you assign it a formation (A,B,H, etc.)  This formation servers two purposes.

This I didn't know. Interesting though, as although the fort would be harder to destroy (because of the increased integrity that forts get), depending on the weapons choosen and the deploc, you may not be able to inflict as much damage on an invading (or bombarding) fleet as you may have originally thought. <_<

The location bit is just for flavor.  All SUrface forts work the same so it is just persoanl preferance.

You assign the surface structure to the location youwnat it to occupy in battle just like a ship.  If you wnat your pill box to be on the front then assign it to Assault and then make sure that Assault is located in DepLoc 1 withthe battle plan that you use.

<_<

Just for fluff? What about sonar and specific aquatic weapons? I had hoped their existance would have suggested some advantage for aquatic facilities. Interesting thread....

Octus

The location bit is just for flavor.  All SUrface forts work the same so it is just persoanl preferance.

You assign the surface structure to the location youwnat it to occupy in battle just like a ship.  If you wnat your pill box to be on the front then assign it to Assault and then make sure that Assault is located in DepLoc 1 withthe battle plan that you use.

<_<

Just for fluff? What about sonar and specific aquatic weapons? I had hoped their existance would have suggested some advantage for aquatic facilities. Interesting thread....

Octus

Aquatic or Subterranean does not currently change the defensive capabilities of the surface fort. In the original design it did matter, but balance issues cropped up (no large bodies of surface liquids on your homeworld) and it made things even more complex than they had already become...so the idea was scrapped. The names were left in for flavor.

Aquatic or Subterranean does not currently change the defensive capabilities of the surface fort.  In the original design it did matter, but balance issues cropped up (no large bodies of surface liquids on your homeworld) and it made things even more complex than they had already become...so the idea was scrapped.  The names were left in for flavor.

So does the same thing apply to Aquatic and Subterr technology?

Aquatic or Subterranean does not currently change the defensive capabilities of the surface fort.  In the original design it did matter, but balance issues cropped up (no large bodies of surface liquids on your homeworld) and it made things even more complex than they had already become...so the idea was scrapped.  The names were left in for flavor.

Subterranean Installation Construction and Aquatic Installation Construction technologies might lead to other techs; they also both grant flat attrition bonuses just for having those technologies, as stated in their descriptions.

Subterranean Installation Construction and Aquatic Installation Construction technologies might lead to other techs; they also both grant flat attrition bonuses just for having those technologies, as stated in their descriptions.

Helpful, thanks!

Octus