Rolling Thunder Forums

colonial attrition

rotor911

I have a colony where attrition was stable at 6 pop a turn since the beginning. Suddenly it jumps at 14 pop just when I reach more than 700 pop. It's all the more unexpected because I reached the "subterranean" horizon tech the preceding turn and hoped for an amelioration of this number. Also I assigned a martial artist to the colony (and got a 2 pop influx for it).

So does the attrition double for evey "increment" of 700 pop (it would be very steep in my opinion..) or

- yes, there's a modifier for subterranean thechnology but it's a negative one :cheers:

- my martial artist attracts population by staging mass slaughters of civilians in the town's arena <_<

- I should do a new csv because something changed in the ecosystem of he planet : did it ever happen to somebody

- others?

Edited by rotor911

I have not seen this, as I don't (as a rule) colonise bad attrition worlds.  An answer would be interesting though.......

700 pop isn't a magic # in the attrition formula. Perhaps there were 7 Domed Cities instead of 8, or some similar issue, and when the pop exceeded the friendly housing confines the attrition changed.

I have a colony where attrition was stable at 6 pop a turn since the beginning.  Suddenly it jumps at 14 pop just when I reach more than 700 pop. It's all the more unexpected because  I reached the "subterranean" horizon tech the preceding turn and hoped for an amelioration of this number. Also I assigned a martial artist to the colony (and got a 2 pop influx for it). 

So does the attrition double for evey "increment" of 700 pop (it would be very steep in my opinion..) or

- yes, there's a modifier for subterranean thechnology but it's a negative one  :oops:

-  my martial artist attracts population by staging mass slaughters of civilians in the town's arena  :)

- I should do a new csv because something changed in the ecosystem of he planet : did it ever happen to somebody

- others?

I have not seen any "magic" numbers with regard to colonies, with the notable exception of very small numbers. (I have an intrepid band of low tech explorers who build mini-science colonies on planets while Pathfinders SURV Warp Points in the system.)

I have noted that when my Population exceeds the 100:1 ratio of "safe" housing (i.e. Cities, Domed Cities, Treatment Plants), the "excess" population gets hit harder. Without knowing what buildings you have in your colony and what the big attrition ratings are, I can't tell you much more. :D

You weren't playing with any ICE-X tech were you? :drunk:

-SK :cheers:

I have a colony where attrition was stable at 6 pop a turn since the beginning.  Suddenly it jumps at 14 pop just when I reach more than 700 pop. It's all the more unexpected because  I reached the "subterranean" horizon tech the preceding turn and hoped for an amelioration of this number. Also I assigned a martial artist to the colony (and got a 2 pop influx for it). 

- yes, there's a modifier for subterranean thechnology but it's a negative one  :oops:

-  my martial artist attracts population by staging mass slaughters of civilians in the town's arena  :)

- others?

I have not seen any "magic" numbers with regard to colonies, with the notable exception of very small numbers. (I have an intrepid band of low tech explorers who build mini-science colonies on planets while Pathfinders SURV Warp Points in the system.)

I have noted that when my Population exceeds the 100:1 ratio of "safe" housing (i.e. Cities, Domed Cities, Treatment Plants), the "excess" population gets hit harder. Without knowing what buildings you have in your colony and what the big attrition ratings are, I can't tell you much more. :D

You weren't playing with any ICE-X tech were you? :drunk:

-SK :cheers:

Idle colonists playing with ICE. Not a pretty thought. :blink:

• 1 month later...
Does the attrition rate on colonies effect "working" population? IE, can you lose population that is currently attached to an installation, and if you can...what happens to the installation?

Oh, heavens to Betsy, yes! If all of your unemployed population dies, then employed workers will begin to evaporate, taking thier (randomly chosen) installations with them into non-existence! Most distressing, especially when it is something vital and expensive, like a major power plant, that disappears! :laugh:

If you have an attrition rate, then always, Always, A...L...W...A...Y...S leave a cushion of unemployed population. (I have been bitten by this... can you tell?) :D

TErnest

Yep, you lose random installations which generally turn out to be the random power generator, transfer center, DCS, Sub City and easy to replce things. In addition it is really nice when you randomly lose your attrition mitigation stuff. This usually happens when RL is a bit hectic and you don't have time to thoroughly look over your turn results so your attrition really goes up and the colony winds up in a downward spiral. It doesn't take long to lose 1000 pop or more.

:laugh::P:D

Does the attrition rate on colonies effect "working" population? IE, can you lose population that is currently attached to an installation, and if you can...what happens to the installation?

Oh, heavens to Betsy, yes! If all of your unemployed population dies, then employed workers will begin to evaporate, taking thier (randomly chosen) installations with them into non-existence! Most distressing, especially when it is something vital and expensive, like a major power plant, that disappears! :laugh:

If you have an attrition rate, then always, Always, A...L...W...A...Y...S leave a cushion of unemployed population. (I have been bitten by this... can you tell?) :D

TErnest

Even experienced players get bitten by this once in a while. I had this happen this turn mostly because I missed a refueling station that ran out of fuel a few turns ago which caused my convoy route to bunch up which in turn led to the colony not getting their regular supply of colonists. :P Fortunately the impact was minor in this case; a couple of lost mines.

Moral: always review your refuling station if you don't have a convoy route set up to support them (I didn't) as the effects will last for turns.

A while back Pete said he changed the attrition code to try and hit the most numerical installations first attrition wise (ie mines, ic etc) but that is not always the fact so if you find a glorious world with high resources and even higher attrition ensure that you have a steady stream of sacrifical lambs...erm colonists to it :laugh:

Cheers

/Locklyn

A while back Pete said he changed the attrition code to try and hit the most numerical installations first attrition wise (ie mines, ic etc) but that is not always the fact so if you find a glorious world with high resources and even higher attrition ensure that you have a steady stream of sacrifical lambs...erm colonists to it :alien2:

Cheers

/Locklyn

We have such a colony in our home system, where it needs replenishment of colonists each cycle. Alas, the evolutionary process is slow, since we had hoped for accelerated natural selection. Perhaps we need to send colonists smarter than the current volunteers (too stupid to NOT volunteer)? :)

Best hope resides in the research labs for genetic enhancements. (Sure takes plenty of time and RC's for species engineering to move to completion!)

Octus