Rolling Thunder Forums

nit-picking

rotor911

Well, ammonia melts at -74oC (~199K) and boils at -30.9oC (~242K), not taking into account dissolved salts, etc. :oops:

I admit, I haven't looked into the gravity differences and what effect that this would have, but it probably would have some effect.

Hot air (as in the ballon) has a density of 0.8 kg/m3 (c.f. air @1.0 Kg/m3), which is sufficient to raise the ballon. <_<

OK, yes, you do need alot of hot air. Also the dissolved salts and particulates would also have an effect. :cheers:

Ofcourse, I just take it as fluff, and just look at the temp, grav and tilt values.

:P

Well, ammonia melts at -74oC (~199K) and boils at -30.9oC (~242K), not taking into account dissolved salts, etc.  :oops:

I admit, I haven't looked into the gravity differences and what effect that this would have, but it probably would have some effect.

Hot air (as in the ballon) has a density of 0.8 kg/m3 (c.f. air @1.0 Kg/m3), which is sufficient to raise the ballon.  <_<

OK, yes, you do need alot of hot air.  Also the dissolved salts and particulates would also have an effect.  :cheers:

Ofcourse, I just take it as fluff, and just look at the temp, grav and tilt values.

:P

Gravity would have an indirect effect as it affects atmospheric pressure. Pressure is one of the determinants in freezing and boiling points.

By the way, I would not apply standard physics as we understand it to SN:ROTE. I realized that when on my HW, the gas that we normally breathe is a solid at temperatures well above the average temperature of my HW. As my HW has a gravitational field strength well above earth's I can either deduce that my race eats its atmosphere or that the laws of physics dont apply. I determined the latter to be the correct answer.

Well, ammonia melts at -74oC (~199K) and boils at -30.9oC (~242K), not taking into account dissolved salts, etc.  :blink:

Hot air (as in the ballon) has a density of 0.8 kg/m3 (c.f. air @1.0 Kg/m3), which is sufficient to raise the ballon.  :cheers:

OK, yes, you do need alot of hot air.  Also the dissolved salts and particulates would also have an effect.  :D

:drunk:

Gravity would have an indirect effect as it affects atmospheric pressure. Pressure is one of the determinants in freezing and boiling points.

By the way, I would not apply standard physics as we understand it to SN:ROTE. I realized that when on my HW, the gas that we normally breathe is a solid at temperatures well above the average temperature of my HW. As my HW has a gravitational field strength well above earth's I can either deduce that my race eats its atmosphere or that the laws of physics dont apply. I determined the latter to be the correct answer.

No No No!. the laws of physics apply perfectly. It just that SN;ROTE operates under different physical laws that the world we live in. :) Here in the SN Universe light has mass and the gravitational constant is different.

:oops:

[Here in the SN Universe light has mass and the gravitational constant is different.

:huh:

I like that! :drunk::drunk:

Hydrogen would also need to be much more massive, I think.

The one that gets me are the small moons with Hydrogen atmosphere -- small bodies could never hold a substantial amount of Hydrogen. Beings living there have very efficient "lungs" :wacko:

Though I have to say it would be better there than on the Chlorine atmosphere, Liquid Ammonia ocean worlds (or vice versa) we have seen...

-LX

[Here in the SN Universe light has mass and the gravitational constant is different.

:wacko:

I like that! :blink::huh:

Hydrogen would also need to be much more massive, I think.

The one that gets me are the small moons with Hydrogen atmosphere -- small bodies could never hold a substantial amount of Hydrogen. Beings living there have very efficient "lungs" :drunk:

Though I have to say it would be better there than on the Chlorine atmosphere, Liquid Ammonia ocean worlds (or vice versa) we have seen...

-LX

I would think a Fluorine or Chlorine atmosphere with a Liquid Hydrogen ocean would be an extremely challenging environment :drunk: