Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonists vs Colonial Settlers

Magus666

From the names, Colonists and Colonial Settlers would appear to be roughly the same thing. However, they are obviously not. Colonial Settlers require 1 Colonist, 50000 Steel, 100000 Weapons, 50000 Food Concentrate and 50000 Textiles. The description makes then seem as if they are, in fact, just a rather expensive, and very weak ground combat unit. If this is the case...what is the point of them? Is there any reason to make Colonial Settlers?

From the names, Colonists and Colonial Settlers would appear to be roughly the same thing. However, they are obviously not. Colonial Settlers require 1 Colonist, 50000 Steel, 100000 Weapons, 50000 Food Concentrate and 50000 Textiles. The description makes then seem as if they are, in fact, just a rather expensive, and very weak ground combat unit. If this is the case...what is the point of them? Is there any reason to make Colonial Settlers?

They are in fact a weak ground unit. To my knowledge, they provide no other added advantages and that there is no reason to create them. Personally I would create Troopers, Imperial Army, Imperial Guards aned Imperial Marines so I can create more effective units. Others may have more insght into the usefulness of this unit however.

They are in fact a weak ground unit. To my knowledge, they provide no other added advantages and that there is no reason to create them. Personally I would create Troopers, Imperial Army, Imperial Guards aned Imperial Marines so I can create more effective units. Others may have more insght into the usefulness of this unit however.

Actually, they are not quite so bad as all that. According to Pete's description of ground combat, all divisions (including Colonial Settlers one assumes) have the same basic strength when it comes to calculating the initial odds.

Then, each divisions type has has specific categories of strength, giving them point scores (for example, in close combat, armor, engineering, etc.) which are used to determine combat shifts, which then determine the final odds. Each division type (with the exception of at least Fortress) gets a total of 100 points between its various strength areas. In this system, one wants combat shifts, and therefor strength points, in as many areas as possible. Combined arms is VERY important here!

According to my experiments, Colonial Settlers have about 20% of their strength in "Open Terrain," 40% of their strength in "Broken Terrain," and 20% of their strength in "Environmental." (I have not been able to ascertain what the other 20% is in.) This last is most importaint, since so far as I can tell, Collonial Settlers is the ONLY division type to offer any combat strength at all in the "Environmental" category. :cheers:

TErnest

colonial settlers add to some of the tactical bonuses during ground combat.

every extra edge helps. :cheers: