Rolling Thunder Forums

What do I do with leaders?

kukri65

OK, potentially stupid question from a newb: What do I do with a couple of the leaders that have popped up. I know that I can stick a Naval Officer on a fleet and he'll help in combat, presumably the same with an Army Officer and an army. But how do I make use of an Administrator? Or the Merchant who just showed up? And if I ever get a Scientist, besides assigning them to a fleet to help explore, can they help my research along? And if so, how?

OK, potentially stupid question from a newb:  What do I do with a couple of the leaders that have popped up.  I know that I can stick a Naval Officer on a fleet and he'll help in combat, presumably the same with an Army Officer and an army.  But how do I make use of an Administrator?  Or the Merchant who just showed up?  And if I ever get a Scientist, besides assigning them to a fleet to help explore, can they help my research along?  And if so, how?

Kukri65,

I am a firm believer in the notion that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Although one can stupidly choose not to ask what they may think is a simple question. :drunk:

Administrators, Merchants, Diplomats, and Religious Leaders will happily sit on whatever world you place them and work, automatically every turn, to try and improve your mine output. Random chance of success. Some installations will help the chances of your Administrators.

Likewise, if you leave a Scientist on a world with research facilities (installations) he will, in a similar fashion, try every turn to help out one of your research projects. Again, random chance, with proper installations improving his odds.

TErnest

OK, potentially stupid question from a newb:  What do I do with a couple of the leaders that have popped up.  I know that I can stick a Naval Officer on a fleet and he'll help in combat, presumably the same with an Army Officer and an army.  But how do I make use of an Administrator?  Or the Merchant who just showed up?  And if I ever get a Scientist, besides assigning them to a fleet to help explore, can they help my research along?  And if so, how?

Assign Administrators to Planets - They help with resource production from your "mines" (i.e. Iron Mines, Gas Refineries, Hydroponics Gardens, etc.)

Merchants, Religious Leaders and Diplomats can be similarly used. Relgious Leaders also help with your people's "morale", which translates into increased population growth if it is high enough. Diplomats are also useful in adding Neutral Empires to your collective whole - although most people find that it is easier to just conquer Neutrals then to "seduce" them into joining you. (This may change since populace morale has started to make its existence felt.)

Scientists can make "technological breakthroughs" which add to the accumulated research of the technologies you have assigned to your Research Centers, which, in turn, accelerates your empire's ability to "learn" said technology.

Explorers, Naval Officers and Army Officers work exactly as billed. They help with Exploration (EXPL and SURV Orders), Naval Engagements and Ground Fighting (GATK).

Martial Artists, by themselves, don't seem to do a whole lot (yet) but they do allow others to be boosted. They help with Morale, Security and Ground Fighting; just not as well as Religious Leaders, Special Agents and Army Officers.

Special Agents are designed for Espionage and Counter-Espionage, which hasn't been fully implemented, yet.

Hope that helps. :taz:

-SK :drunk:

Most characters will help improve resource extraction if assigned to a world with mining facilities. Look at your turn results section, Imperial Advisor Report: Event Summary, to see which characters help with this.

Some characters will help with "immigration" if assigned to worlds with small population groups. Morale boosting facilities are required for this in conjunction with the characters. Pete recently increased this affect and listed the character types involved, but I can't find that notification right now. You can see this in your turn results just before the section, Imperial Navy Report: Fleet Summary.

Scientists can achieve breakthroughs in research. This appears just after production and shipbuilding, and just before the population growth section. Their chance of breakthrough is increased if they are assigned to a world instead of a fleet, and if all of the scientific facilities exist in the same system. The facilities can be on a different world, as long as they are all present somewhere in the star system. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. This may be the way it works with the EXPL order, not research breakthroughs.

Scientists help with SURV missions, if assigned to the fleet. They also help with EXPL missions, but I'm not sure if they should be assigned to the fleet or to the world. Explorers also help greatly with SURV and EXPL missions.

I believe that Martial Artists and Army Officers help with capturing ships. Although that is kind of a busted strategy now due to player abuse.

Religious leaders can pray at temples to gain favor with the gods. Although religious favor, like espionage, hasn't been implemented yet. They have to be assigned to a world that has one or more ancient temples that have been discovered through the EXPL missions.

Naval Officers increase the Fire Control rating of a fleet. There is a rules suppliment that describes this.

Diplomats help with DIP missions to convince an independent pop group to join your empire. They should be assigned to the fleet doing the DIP mission.

As mentioned by several others, Leaders have a variety of functions based on what type they are. Howefver, there are a couple of other things you can do owth them.

You can NAME them. This makes it easier to keep track of who is who.

You also can EXILE them. If you find you have too many of a particular type, you can cull their numbers allowing a chance to get more of the type you do wnat.

Keep in mind that your choice of government and empire emphasis will skew the chances of getting certain types. I believe there is a spreadsheet on the RTG site that allows you to put in this information and get the chances of acquiring certain types. You can change your form of government through the REVO order but this will cost you your empire's leader who is Exiled.

The most useful types in my opinion are Scientists, Explorers and Naval Officers. The others are useful, just not to the extent of the first three.

This was info provided by Pete in a turn (13th Jan 2006) which affected (postively) immigration into your colonies:

Beginning next turn, the following special characters will have a positive effect on the population growth on colony worlds. This represents both inherent behind-the-scenes civilian influx and general population growth and/or survival on what might otherwise be hostile worlds. Explorers, Naval Officers and Scientists are absent from this list; they are so useful in their normal duties that they have no time to provide for the general welfare of the colony at large:

Administrators, who use their skills to resolve disputes, solve problems and in general make sure that everything runs smoothly.

Army Commanders, who train local civilians to become militia or police forces, and who are the overall ground military commanders in case of riot or other major civilian unrest situations.

Diplomats, who use their outstanding negotiating skills to resolve legal disputes both small and large.

Martial Artists, who take command of police and special operations teams to take out criminal elements, eliminate indenous hostile predators, and generally provide top notch security for the colony.

Merchants, who act as quartermasters for the colony and manage to get all manner of interesting items into the hands of those who need them; if a colonist needs something, however rare, the twitching tentacles of the Merchant can obtain it....

Religious Leaders, who not only provide spiritual guidance and moral support for their followers, but do what they can to aid and comfort the colony at large.

Special Agents, who infiltrate insurgent cells, assassinate subversive elements and generally conduct all manner of 'Black Ops' missions in total secrecy.

Also the number of characters you receive per turn and the frequency will vary according to you imperial traditions and Empire type- I've only 45 characters after almost 45 turns, but not at 1/turn.

This was info provided by Pete in a turn (13th Jan 2006) which affected (postively) immigration into your colonies:

Beginning next turn, the following special characters will have a positive effect on the population growth on colony worlds. This represents both inherent behind-the-scenes civilian influx and general population growth and/or survival on what might otherwise be hostile worlds. Explorers, Naval Officers and Scientists are absent from this list; they are so useful in their normal duties that they have no time to provide for the general welfare of the colony at large:

Administrators, who use their skills to resolve disputes, solve problems and in general make sure that everything runs smoothly.

Army Commanders, who train local civilians to become militia or police forces, and who are the overall ground military commanders in case of riot or other major civilian unrest situations.

Diplomats, who use their outstanding negotiating skills to resolve legal disputes both small and large.

Martial Artists, who take command of police and special operations teams to take out criminal elements, eliminate indenous hostile predators, and generally provide top notch security for the colony.

Merchants, who act as quartermasters for the colony and manage to get all manner of interesting items into the hands of those who need them; if a colonist needs something, however rare, the twitching tentacles of the Merchant can obtain it....

Religious Leaders, who not only provide spiritual guidance and moral support for their followers, but do what they can to aid and comfort the colony at large.

Special Agents, who infiltrate insurgent cells, assassinate subversive elements and generally conduct all manner of 'Black Ops' missions in total secrecy.

Also the number of characters you receive per turn and the frequency will vary according to you imperial traditions and Empire type- I've only 45 characters after almost 45 turns, but not at 1/turn.

I have 56 after 46 turns. How many you get per turn is random as are promotions.

Do Leaders and Special Characters "die" of "old age"? One of the drawbacks of having a race with Short Life Cycle (besides the Research penalty) is listed as reducing the "lifespan" of Special Characters. Has anyone seen one die,other than in combat situations?

Don't think so. At least with my various possitions, including one "elder race," I have never seen any character die from anything other than violence. (Count "Revolution!" as violence, here.)

Of course, I don't think the game system has ever defined how much game time is supposed to pass over the course of one "turn." I think most of us assume that it is somewhere between 2 weeks (real time) and 1 year per turn. But who really knows?

TErnest

Do Leaders and Special Characters "die" of "old age"? One of the drawbacks of having a race with Short Life Cycle (besides the Research penalty) is listed as reducing the "lifespan" of Special Characters. Has anyone seen one die,other than in combat situations?

I have not had one die yet. In fact, you cant kill them except in combat as far as I know.

One thing about this game you should keep in mind, not all of the "features" have been implemented so while it is true that special characters don't die of "old age", at some point Pete may implement that and then they will. Personally I hope that this does not happen since I would hate to have some of my characters die. They are very useful!!!! :drunk:

Hmm. OK, first thing that springs to mind; is your homeworld a "colony" for purposes of the effects mentioned in the message from Pete? (Thanks for posting that, it was from before I started.) And does your HW ever get immigration, or just growth?

I already downloaded the spreadsheet that gives the chances for each leader type, based on reading the rules I selected my empire type to give me a base 30% at both Scientist and Explorer, of which I have received neither.

Next question, how many ranks are there for each type of character? Or does it vary by character type?

Hmm. OK, first thing that springs to mind; is your homeworld a "colony" for purposes of the effects mentioned in the message from Pete? (Thanks for posting that, it was from before I started.) And does your HW ever get immigration, or just growth?

I already downloaded the spreadsheet that gives the chances for each leader type, based on reading the rules I selected my empire type to give me a base 30% at both Scientist and Explorer, of which I have received neither.

Next question, how many ranks are there for each type of character? Or does it vary by character type?

The colony HW question is a good one? I don't know the answer but maybe Pete will see this and give us some insight.

I am surprised that you received neither an Explorer nor a Scientist among your first two characters, were there other character types that had 30% or higher chance of appearing? Also, was one of the characters from your Imperial Tradition? When I got my first turn, my leader came from my government form and had significant chance of appearing and the other came from our Imperial Tradition.

Every character type has seven possible ranks. The names vary for each type. Your number 1 character is your Imperial leader and I believe he (or she, it, whatever) has the highest possible rank. B)

Hmm.  OK, first thing that springs to mind; is your homeworld a "colony" for purposes of the effects mentioned in the message from Pete?  (Thanks for posting that, it was from before I started.)  And does your HW ever get immigration, or just growth?

Characters are assigned to worlds, but facilities are built in pop groups. It takes both to achieve immigration. Some facilities are most effective if you build 1 per 100 population. But even then, the effects decline as the population grows.

Home world pop groups are huge. So I think everyone just assumes we are talking about colonies. But technically, the effects mentioned by Pete apply to the home world also.

If you really want to build all of those Missions, Shrines, Temples, Cathedrals, Textile Plants, Imperial Resorts, and Imperial Sports Complexes on your home world, then please let me know if you gain any immigration for your efforts. I haven’t tried it myself, but I'm curious to know.

Speaking of those kinds of Installations, I noticed that some work best at a ratio of 1:100 population, but others supposedly need only ONE per planet or star system. I think the Imperial Resort is one of those that you only need one per system as are the Imperial Zoo and Museum. What about The Imperial Sports Complex and the Imperial Administration Center? Are they 1:100 or "Just 1" type installations? And what good does an Imperial Penal Colony do?