Rolling Thunder Forums

OT: Play-by-email Strategy Games

I have a few friends who don't desire to invest the time, bandwidth or funds on an online MMPRPG game. We've a long history of playing "play by email" games, where you take your turn and then email the game file to the next player, who then takes their turn.

Games like Warlords II or the original versions of "Reach for the Stars."

Does anyone have suggestions as to what other games could be played this way? Perhaps some modern games have a "PBEM" option.

I have a few friends who don't desire to invest the time, bandwidth or funds on an online MMPRPG game.  We've a long history of playing "play by email" games, where you take your turn and then email the game file to the next player, who then takes their turn.

Games like Warlords II or the original versions of "Reach for the Stars."

Does anyone have suggestions as to what other games could be played this way?  Perhaps some modern games have a "PBEM" option.

Civ IV has such an option. If you get a game going I might be interested in joining if I have the time.

"Age of Wonders" can be but I'm not so sure how good it would be. The best part of that game is the tactical battle system and if you play by e-mail you'll probably have to do all the battles automatic. Warlords is better if you have to use automattic battles. What about MOO? Can it be PBEM?

Space Empires IV Gold by Malfador Mechinations has a Play-by-Email option.  Someone just needs to be designated the "Game Moderator".  It's a 4X game with customizable races and ships.  The "economics" are pretty simple, as well.

-SK  B)

Just for info, it's "Deluxe" now and it's distributed by Strategy Games.

Space Empires IV Gold by Malfador Mechinations has a Play-by-Email option.  Someone just needs to be designated the "Game Moderator".  It's a 4X game with customizable races and ships.  The "economics" are pretty simple, as well.

-SK  B)

Just for info, it's "Deluxe" now and it's distributed by Strategy Games.

Thanks for the update! :cheers:

-SK :cheers: