Rolling Thunder Forums

"Ideal" colonies

kukri65

I did a CSV on a planet and it came back as Ideal, zero attrition.  Is there any point to building Cities, Colonial Training Centers or Fluid Conversion Plants?  I ask about the last because the ocean is different than my HW.

There probably is not any point to those builds.

Probably. But not definately. "Ideal" usually, but not always, means zero attrition. Depending upon your racial design, and the specifics of the world in question, sometimes even ideal worlds can result in a few casualties each turn.

Some races with good colonization bonuses can even colonize the occasional "Moderate" world without attrition.

I suggest you try it without the installation builds. If, at any time, there start to be a few deaths, then you will know that you should start augmenting the colony with Fluid Conversion Plants. (Or something to give a small attrition bonus.)

Probably.  But not definately.  "Ideal" usually, but not always, means zero attrition.  Depending upon your racial design, and the specifics of the world in question, sometimes even ideal worlds can result in a few casualties each turn. 

Some races with good colonization bonuses can even colonize the occasional "Moderate" world without attrition.

I suggest you try it without the installation builds.  If, at any time, there start to be a few deaths, then you will know that you should start augmenting the colony with Fluid Conversion Plants.  (Or something to give a small attrition bonus.)

To Build on my fellow new players question. IF you have enough bonuses from your race and or installations will you see growth on other worlds of is that limited to the HW? :wub:

Probably.  But not definately.  "Ideal" usually, but not always, means zero attrition.  Depending upon your racial design, and the specifics of the world in question, sometimes even ideal worlds can result in a few casualties each turn. 

I suggest you try it without the installation builds.  If, at any time, there start to be a few deaths, then you will know that you should start augmenting the colony with Fluid Conversion Plants.  (Or something to give a small attrition bonus.)

To Build on my fellow new players question. IF you have enough bonuses from your race and or installations will you see growth on other worlds of is that limited to the HW? :wub:

You will see growth on other worlds. You growth rate is determined by the Reproduction state you chose when you signed up so whatever growth rate you have on your HW, you will ahve on your colonies. However, colonies have attrition (except for some Ideal worlds) and this is applied after your growth is applied. In most cases, your attrition will be greater than your growth rate so you will lose population every turn unless you replenish it.

Each turn, there are three adjustments to population in each population center you own. Not all of them will apply to all your population centers. They are each dependant upon individual conditions.

1) Your population breeds. This is at the same percentage growth rate as your home world. (Small) There is an exception to the small growth percentage. A minimum population of only about a dozen or so, will typically produce a growth rate of 1 population point per turn. But then, the percentage formula kicks in, and you will have to add hundreds, or thousands, more population before you get that second pop point per turn. I understand that Cloning Centers, and the like, may improve the breeding growth rate.

2) Immigration. If your population center is an attractive enough place to live, based upon environment, special characters present, and moral improving installations, new population points will start showing up, on thier own.

3) Attrition. Population dies due to adverse environmental conditions. This can be moderated, or even eliminated, through positive racial design features (colonization bonus) and by certain installations.

IFF your population breeds fast enough, and there is enough immigration, and attrition is low enough, then yes, you will see a net growth rate in your colonies.

TErnest

I did a CSV on a planet and it came back as Ideal, zero attrition.  Is there any point to building Cities, Colonial Training Centers or Fluid Conversion Plants?  I ask about the last because the ocean is different than my HW.

If it is Ideal, there is no point in building attrition reducing structures. Eventhough the Ocean is different from your Homeworld, your race has enough Colonization bonuses to overcome the attrition value of that difference on that planet. :wub:

Adding onto TErnest's comments, if you build "morale" enhancing structures, such as Shrines, at their optimum ratio (usually 1:100 Pop) you will see better than average population growth in your colonies. Mainly because it is easier to keep pace with a colony than with your home PopGroup.

While this may seem silly, I will offer you the reminder to bring along enough materials to build power plants wherever you establish your colonies. Many a player has forgotten that "mines" require power to operate. And depending on what kind of power plant you choose to build, remember to bring "seed fuel" to let them operate a couple turns while you bring your colony up to speed. (Example - bring along some Coal for Coal-Fired Plants.)

M2CW,

-SK :wub:

If it is Ideal, there is no point in building attrition reducing structures. Eventhough the Ocean is different from your Homeworld, your race has enough Colonization bonuses to overcome the attrition value of that difference on that planet. :wub:

Adding onto TErnest's comments, if you build "morale" enhancing structures, such as Shrines, at their optimum ratio (usually 1:100 Pop) you will see better than average population growth in your colonies. Mainly because it is easier to keep pace with a colony than with your home PopGroup.

While this may seem silly, I will offer you the reminder to bring along enough materials to build power plants wherever you establish your colonies. Many a player has forgotten that "mines" require power to operate. And depending on what kind of power plant you choose to build, remember to bring "seed fuel" to let them operate a couple turns while you bring your colony up to speed. (Example - bring along some Coal for Coal-Fired Plants.)

M2CW,

There are even times when experienced players forget that power plants need fuel or make a mistake and don't provide enough fuel so make sure that you plan for this eventuality. :cheers:

Ideal does not mean attrition free. I have seen ideal worlds that still suffer attrition so it may still be important to build all the installations if you find that even an ideal world kills off colonists.

Personally I would like to see an additional rating of Gais or something for a world that will have no attrition. The would save time for those without great CB's.

:wub::wub:

If it is Ideal, there is no point in building attrition reducing structures. Eventhough the Ocean is different from your Homeworld, your race has enough Colonization bonuses to overcome the attrition value of that difference on that planet. :cheers:

M2CW,

There are even times when experienced players forget that power plants need fuel or make a mistake and don't provide enough fuel so make sure that you plan for this eventuality. :cheers:

We feel your pain. And sometimes one doesn't bring enough CM to build things for all those new colonists in the big, bad colonization fleet. Or not enough Improved CM to build that nifty new power plant. Maybe just short about 1000 Improved CM or so.... :wub:

Octus

:jawdrop: All the "don't build improvements on ideal worlds" advice may be based on yesterday's knowldge. We may see a need for different builds! Cities are reported to do well in increasing stability. I would not be surprised to see a growth boost from cities, sports centers, resorts, and a competent administrator.

Just a thought, give it a try.