Rolling Thunder Forums

"Improved" and "Advanced" Items

Magus666

Can the "Improved" or "Advanced" versions of an item be used in place of its lesser counterparts in construction? For example, a Light Stun Beam requires 200 Steel. Could I use 200 IMPROVED Steel, or 200 ADVANCED Steel instead? Since they all use the same amount of Iron and Industrial Capacity to produce, it would simplify production if I didnt have to make Steel, AND Improved Steel, AND Advanced Steel (assuming I had all three technologies), but I dont know if I can build less advanced products with the more advanced components.

Can the "Improved" or "Advanced" versions of an item be used in place of its lesser counterparts in construction? For example, a Light Stun Beam requires 200 Steel. Could I use 200 IMPROVED Steel, or 200 ADVANCED Steel instead? Since they all use the same amount of Iron and Industrial Capacity to produce, it would simplify production if I didnt have to make Steel, AND Improved Steel, AND Advanced Steel (assuming I had all three technologies), but I dont know if I can build less advanced products with the more advanced components.

That would be soooooo nice to have.... how about it Pete?

That would be soooooo nice to have.... how about it Pete?

I think it was Lotix who asked this way back on the old boards and I do believe Pete may have used the words "coding nightmare" or somesuch :jawdrop: but basically no but please correct me if I am mistaken.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Depends on how the system is coded. An Object Oriented Code could do it easily, but for some systems it would be alot harder.

Part of the difficulty would be in assigning to every item in the database a value or set of values so you could tell you require at least "X" quality material. For example, you would want to require that Siege P-Cannons require Advanced items .. and that someone cannot build it with mere improved or basic materials. On the other hand, you would have to define the settings / values so Light P-Cannons could be built with anything. The quality of items used in the build would have to be controlled in both directions (low to high, and high to low) to avoid abuses. PLUS there are those weird items like Transwarp drives that use other items in the build. Special values / programming would be required for that as well.

So while I'm sure this could all be programmed by Pete .. I suspect it would take a lot of time. And there are other items to be completed to enhance the game over this.

The same would apply to a Recycle order, allowing you to take materials and convert them back into some of the base materials that went into them (an item like an engine costs 500 tons of materials for a 100 ton item .. and a recycle order should at most get back that 100 tons .. can't materialize 400 tons of good out of nothing). Another order I would like to one day see in the game. :jawdrop:

While I can see the argument for allowing the use of "better" materials to be used for their lesser counterparts (e.g. Improved Steel for something that only requires "regular" Steel), it would probably be more trouble than it's worth to implement.

Coding the system to use Advanced for Improved for "regular" component requirements probably wouldn't be that hard, time consuming perhaps, but not difficult. The "glitch" in the system is how do you prevent your factories from using these "better" materials on something of lesser importance? You might have something at Queue 10000 that requires Advanced Steel, but since your Improved Construction Materials at Queue 9000 used half of your stockpile of Advanced Steel, your Mk VI Doomcasters didn't get built.

Personally, if I could use Advanced Steel for things that required "regular" Steel or Improved Steel, I'd just make Advanced Steel (since all three Steel types require 3 units of Iron per unit of Steel). That would definitely shrink my Build Queues. :D

I am a proponent for the Recycling concept, even if it has a wretched return rate. I am hoping that somewhere in the Tech Tree there is a Horizon Technology called Recycling that will allow for the construction of Recycling Centers, which will turn X tons of whatever into X tons of Raw Resources. (Or something similar.) :)

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I don't see Pete changing the code to allow 'substitutes' for component materials any time in the near future.

FWIW,

-SK :alien2:

I am a proponent for the Recycling concept, even if it has a wretched return rate. I am hoping that somewhere in the Tech Tree there is a Horizon Technology called Recycling that will allow for the construction of Recycling Centers, which will turn X tons of whatever into X tons of Raw Resources. (Or something similar.) biggrin.gif

That is actually a great idea. All Pete has to do is allow anything built to be converted into an equivalent amount of Raw Resources. It actually would not be that hard to code and has a built in yield of 10% which means that there would be a significant penalty for scrapping items but worth it is you never have a use for it again (like Mk I Computers when you have Mk VI).

I am a proponent for the Recycling concept, even if it has a wretched return rate. I am hoping that somewhere in the Tech Tree there is a Horizon Technology called Recycling that will allow for the construction of Recycling Centers, which will turn X tons of whatever into X tons of Raw Resources. (Or something similar.) biggrin.gif

That is actually a great idea. All Pete has to do is allow anything built to be converted into an equivalent amount of Raw Resources. It actually would not be that hard to code and has a built in yield of 10% which means that there would be a significant penalty for scrapping items but worth it is you never have a use for it again (like Mk I Computers when you have Mk VI).

And subsequent techs could improve the efficiency. :alien2:

And subsequent techs could improve the efficiency. :D

If by improving efficiency, you mean, allows something to be deconstructed into a percentage of original components, I'd agree with you. (i.e. Getting 2500 Electronics out of a Mk I Jump Survey Sensor.)

I don't find enough Neutral Populations to get rid of all of my obsolete Mk I devices, good thing I have Warehouses of Infinite Storage. :)

And subsequent techs could improve the efficiency. :D

If by improving efficiency, you mean, allows something to be deconstructed into a percentage of original components, I'd agree with you. (i.e. Getting 2500 Electronics out of a Mk I Jump Survey Sensor.)

I don't find enough Neutral Populations to get rid of all of my obsolete Mk I devices, good thing I have Warehouses of Infinite Storage. :)

Sk, I was thinking that it would be converted into RR. A Mk I JSS for instance would generate 1000 RR as would a 1000 Electronics or 1000 Refined Crystals. I think by increasing efficiency, the amount of RR generated per T would increase.

Of course your approach would be preferred but would increase the complexity of setting up recycling. :blink:

My final comment is that Pete has shown no interest in allowing for this so I recognize that this conversation is entirely hypothetical.

I think recycling back to resource level items is almost pointless. It would still take industrial capacity to then turn it back into something useful, which I am doing anyway with an unlimited supply of RAW. The only benfit to recycling is the get all the iron, crystal etc.. out of your items. For more complex items you might have to cycle things twice to first get the Mk I Force shields out and then to get those further reduced to more base components.

Having exercised my fingers to voice my opinion I will now point out that Pete has recently stated in the newsletter that Recycling is not to be found in the game at this time as quoted below.

Question: Is there any sort of recycling tech in the game?

Pete: Not currently.

:rolleyes::cheers::P