Rolling Thunder Forums

Alternate Tech Trees

Magus666

As Im looking at some of the possibilities for research, Im noticing that most of the first generation weaponry can lead to at least 2, or sometimes more, other things that are very similar. For example, the Light Beam Laser leads to both the Light Pulse Laser and the Medium Beam Laser. Both of these weapons have the same weight, components, and "Coherent Beam Strength". I assume that they lead to different tech trees - the Light Pulse Laser leading to Medium Pulse Laser and whatever comes next, and the Medium Beam Laser leading to Heavy Beam Laser and so on - but how do I decide which to research? Its fairly easy to decide if I want Projectiles, Lasers, Plasma or Sonic weapons, but these seem so similar that I cant really tell them apart. Or do I really just need to research ALL the options to see where they lead?

As Im looking at some of the possibilities for research, Im noticing that most of the first generation weaponry can lead to at least 2, or sometimes more, other things that are very similar. For example, the Light Beam Laser leads to both the Light Pulse Laser and the Medium Beam Laser. Both of these weapons have the same weight, components, and "Coherent Beam Strength". I assume that they lead to different tech trees - the Light Pulse Laser leading to Medium Pulse Laser and whatever comes next, and the Medium Beam Laser leading to Heavy Beam Laser and so on - but how do I decide which to research? Its fairly easy to decide if I want Projectiles, Lasers, Plasma or Sonic weapons, but these seem so similar that I cant really tell them apart. Or do I really just need to research ALL the options to see where they lead?

It is physically impossible to reseach every path. The best thing to do is pick a couple of paths and focus on that initially.

Also, find or start an information sharing alliance. There are a couple around. They can help you get a better picture of the tech trees.

Finally when you meet an empire with alliance potential, this is one area for trade, you each can provide weapons and defenses based on your choices and focus.

As most tech trees have branches that top out, I would pick the path with Light on it. (or Mk I, Type A, etc.) This gives you a better chance of having better weapons in that branch. (I believe that projectile weapons, fighters and drones are exceptions to this rule.)

Keep in mind this is based on my limited experience (almost two years) in this game. It has a very deep set of tech trees and there may be weapons that invalidate this information. If there are I have not found them but that does not mean that they do not exist.

Well, I didnt mean to research every possible weapon, just those within the specific branches that I choose. However, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that it is generally better to choose the "newer" branch, since that will give you more room to improve.

In other words, I currently have "Light Thermal Lance". I could choose to research either the "Medium Thermal Lance" or the "Light P-cannon" both of which have the about the same weight ratio of components and the same Plasma strength. The Medium Thermal Lance weighs about 20% less though, so I would be able to build and mount more of them for the same materials. But, that branch may top out at "Heavy Thermal Lance" only one more generation, while the Light P-cannon might give me a chance to advance TWO more generations (Medium P-Cannon and Heavy P-cannon) allowing me to build more effective weapons in the future.

Perhaps for the moment, while I am still very new, and isolated, I might be best off researching all the lesser branches of a few chosen trees (at least to a couple generations). This would allow me to build the more effective lower generation items when I can use them, while still allowing me access to the higher tech trees in the future. :rolleyes:

Each ground unit has different characteristics and will give you a slightly different TAC rating based on the tech that you have.

Most weapons that are of the light variety then go to medium, heavy and siege varieties. New weapon branches offer new potential for higher level weapons. In addition some new branches wind up being different in size.

There are also the other tech line considerations to think about as well. Some weapons open up other things than weapons.

:rolleyes:

Each ground unit has different characteristics and will give you a slightly different TAC rating based on the tech that you have.

Most weapons that are of the light variety then go to medium, heavy and siege varieties.  New weapon branches offer new potential for higher level weapons.  In addition some new branches wind up being different in size.

There are also the other tech line considerations to think about as well. Some weapons open up other things than weapons.

As was mentioned before, there are tech paths that eventually dead end. P-Cannon tech ends at Siege P-Cannon (Superior). But there are other tech paths leading to even more powerful weapons, and they may result from various techs or combinations of techs. Some tech paths also appear a bit .. surprising .. at times. For example, for Mass Destruction Devices, Nuclear Bomb (Poor) leads to Hydrogen Bomb (Fair). But later on, Nuclear Bomb (poor) + Light Hellfire Cannon (Superior) leads to the Hydrolithium Bomb (Fair). Why a Fair level from a mix of Superior and Poor tech? Only Pete knows.

Of course it may be that the Nuclear to Hydrogen to Neutron to ... tech path dead ends at some level (Superior?). But the Hydrolitium path may be the start of additional branches and paths leading to even bigger bangs for the buck (like the NWTX-4000 Planetcracker which I found some tech knowledge about oh so long ago). All techs appear to lead to somewhat similar abilities (Pete trying to be fair) even if we don't know all the paths yet. So just pick a direction and go for it.

Oh...and while Im on the subject....

Whats the difference between the various Imperial Army XXX unit, Imperial Guards XXX unit, and Imperial Marine XXX unit? Do Guards units get higher defensive bonuses, Marines higher offensive, and Army units just average on both?

As Hobknob said.

Also, in general from my understanding, Imperial Guard units are better for defending, Imperial Marines for attacking and Imperial Army are inbetween- the average bog standard ground pounder.

Most weapons that are of the light variety then go to medium, heavy and siege varieties.  New weapon branches offer new potential for higher level weapons.  In addition some new branches wind up being different in size.

As was mentioned before, there are tech paths that eventually dead end. P-Cannon tech ends at Siege P-Cannon (Superior). But there are other tech paths leading to even more powerful weapons, and they may result from various techs or combinations of techs. Some tech paths also appear a bit .. surprising .. at times. For example, for Mass Destruction Devices, Nuclear Bomb (Poor) leads to Hydrogen Bomb (Fair). But later on, Nuclear Bomb (poor) + Light Hellfire Cannon (Superior) leads to the Hydrolithium Bomb (Fair). Why a Fair level from a mix of Superior and Poor tech? Only Pete knows.

Of course it may be that the Nuclear to Hydrogen to Neutron to ... tech path dead ends at some level (Superior?). But the Hydrolitium path may be the start of additional branches and paths leading to even bigger bangs for the buck (like the NWTX-4000 Planetcracker which I found some tech knowledge about oh so long ago). All techs appear to lead to somewhat similar abilities (Pete trying to be fair) even if we don't know all the paths yet. So just pick a direction and go for it.

There is the rationale to research every low level weapon tech to generate a research path to the defensive tech specific to that weapon. While one may not ever go past the entry level weapon, you can now research the defense in case you run across someone who uses that wepaon against you. Since the lower level techs are relatively inexpensive to research (from a time and RC perspective), this may be something to consider.

However, I think most will agree that you MUST research at least one weapon tech extensively to optimize your damage capability. And I think nearly everyone keeps researching armor and engines and perhaps shields on a continuous basis. Personally, I am devoting more research on horizon techs lately, since I now have reasonable survey and engine capabilities. Want to see what cool goodies open up from more advanced horizon techs! (About 65 cycles complete and still getting a kick out of every turn report. Even my errors are entertaining....)

Octus

Oh...and while Im on the subject....

Whats the difference between the various Imperial Army XXX unit, Imperial Guards XXX unit, and Imperial Marine XXX unit? Do Guards units get higher defensive bonuses, Marines higher offensive, and Army units just average on both?

As others have stated, Guards tend to be defensive, Marines offensive and Army is in the middle. But the important thing to keep in mind about the combat system in SN:ROTE is that Combined Arms is emphasized. This means that you need to have different types with different ratings. Your ratings are compared with your opponents and combat shifts are applied to the results. I don't believe you need to have Marines, Guards and Army units mixed but rather look for Infantry, Armor, Air Force, etc. This should lead to the best results in Ground Combat. Use Guards, Army and MArines based on whether you are defending or attacking.

One of the best benefits to exploration is the hits you get on tech that is completely new and unknown.  Just when you think that you have a pretty good handle on things a new tech shows up. 

:woohoo:

1st Generation Android Technology...

old hat...

How about Dyson Sphere Construction?

:cheers:

There are rumors of several interesting techs like this. I have also heard of Ring World Construction, Imperial University, Gravitic Drives and weapons that can destroy stars among the many interesting techs there are out there and every few turns I hear of a new one. I don't know if Pete is just working on overtime to generate them or if he had them at the beginning of the game but they are out there. :woohoo: