Rolling Thunder Forums

seeking advice on colonization

rotor911

Given this csv,

They analyze general information about the planet, and determine that the attrition rate at this world would be high, with a

steady and not inconsiderable loss of colonists to be expected over the long term.

Your survey teams break down the cause of the attrition into the following categories:

Atmosphere: ---------------------------------|

Ocean: ------|

Temperature: ---------------------------------|

Gravity: |

Axial Tilt: |

Terrain (favorable) ..|

Lifeform (favorable) .....................|

do you think that it is worth the expense to build 3 fusion power plant and a thermal transfer center (temperature would be perfect with 150 degrees more) or will the attrition still stays high because of the atmosphere problem? Don't laugh but it's still a "not inconsiderable" investment for me to ship 1500000 CM and ship & build 250000 ICM!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put down some Domed Cities the atmosphere won't be a problem anymore.

And lets not forget that Colonial Training Centers, Cities, and Fluid Conversion Plants all add in to reducing the overall attrition effects.

I'd suggest building the site first with just a Domed City (to see that impact) and then add in the CTC, City, and Fluid. Together, all four might get the world down from High to maybe (if lucky) in the Very Low area. Then you could try tossing in other items like a Pollution Processor, or various structures like shrines and imperial buildings (to draw them in). You could probably get a viable colony without any Thermal Centers.

ALSO

Building 3 Thermal Transfer Centers is a waste of resources. Only 1 TTC is required per POP group for maximum effect. Building 3 of them will not give you added temp range boosts as far as I know.

Thanks! But the problem is I have not the domed city tech yet. And I don't want to build 3 TTC but

3 fusion power plant and a thermal transfer center
I'm very happy that a TTC works for a whole POP group, not for 100 people like a city :laugh:

Now your answers make me wonder if I shouldn't have already domed cities when I reach thermal center. Is this a branch of a tech tree that I would have unknowingly skipped :D ?

No big secret there:

Domed Cities Require the following.

Production requirements: 5,000 Improved Construction Materials

Consumes:

Requires: 2nd Generation Civil Engineering as a prerequisite technology

Requires: Improved Construction Materials as a prerequisite technology

So you really should have these if you are able to build TTCs.

Given this csv,

They analyze general information about the planet, and determine that the attrition rate at this world would be high, with a

steady and not inconsiderable loss of colonists to be expected over the long term.

Your survey teams break down the cause of the attrition into the following categories:

Atmosphere: ---------------------------------|

Ocean: ------|

Temperature: ---------------------------------|

Gravity: |

Axial Tilt: |

Terrain (favorable) ..|

Lifeform (favorable) .....................|

do you think that it is worth the expense to build 3 fusion power plant and a thermal transfer center (temperature would be perfect with 150 degrees more) or will the attrition still stays high because of the atmosphere problem? Don't laugh but it's still a "not inconsiderable" investment for me to ship 1500000 CM and ship & build 250000 ICM!

To answer the question you pose, there are a number of things I think you ahve to look at.

1. What type (and yield) of resources does the planet possess? If it is a high yield of iron or a decent yield of timber, this may be a worthwhile investment.

2. How many other colonies do you have to support with CMs? Are there other projects that need CMs? Are you generating more CMs than you can use?

3. How far from your home system is the planet?

Only you can answer these questions but hopefully this gives you a guide as to whether this is a worthwhile project.

Those Thermal Transfer Centers sound useful (albeit expensive) for a race that comes from a very cold, and very large planet, like mine. Im only a few turns in, so I havent developed alot of technologies yet, but I do have Domed Cities, and I was hoping that those would largely help to mitigate attrition due to temperature as well as atmosphere. On valuable worlds where my attrition due to temp is very high though, TTCs could definitely help.

Im guessing that the prereq for the TTC is probably in the Thermal Lance or Frost Cannon weapons tree (along with 2nd gen Civil Engineering?)

My other dominant problem is gravity. I have a high-g homeworld, and this makes alot of worlds, not to mention asteroid belts, difficult. I assume that there are installations that also help with this...some kind of artificial gravity generating plant, maybe. Can I hope to find the prereq for this along the magnetic grapple or tractor beam tree?

Those Thermal Transfer Centers sound useful (albeit expensive) for a race that comes from a very cold, and very large planet, like mine. Im only a few turns in, so I havent developed alot of technologies yet, but I do have Domed Cities, and I was hoping that those would largely help to mitigate attrition due to temperature as well as atmosphere. On valuable worlds where my attrition due to temp is very high though, TTCs could definitely help.

Im guessing that the prereq for the TTC is probably in the Thermal Lance or Frost Cannon weapons tree (along with 2nd gen Civil Engineering?)

My other dominant problem is gravity. I have a high-g homeworld, and this makes alot of worlds, not to mention asteroid belts, difficult. I assume that there are installations that also help with this...some kind of artificial gravity generating plant, maybe. Can I hope to find the prereq for this along the magnetic grapple or tractor beam tree?

Domed Cities will only mitigate atmospheric effects. Depending on your colonization bonuses, you may or may not have additional attrition due to atsmophere. Domed Cities do nothing to mitigate temperature effects.

It is rumored that gravity and axial tilt can be mitigated as well but I have not heard what specific installations and prerequisites are required. I also understand that that gravity and axial tilt have less impact on attrition than temperature and atmosphere although I have not verified that fact myself.

No big secret there:

Consumes:

Do TTCs work in Asteroid Belts?

No big secret there:

Consumes:

Do TTCs work in Asteroid Belts?

As far as we know they work on all planets including asteroids.

If you are very cold you are probably a better canidate for deep core heatsinks.

I am a frozen rocker with less than one G, so my people are very low attrition bare ass naked on most astroids. Domes make it zero. I have a frozen terran colony that is 80 degrees too hot. When the duck quacked the attrition went away.

(according to the ANZ deep core heat sink operators call them Ducks)

Does that help at all?

Since nobody has actually answered the questions I will. NO it is not worth building there. Find a new place to build or be forever plagued by attrition.

If you are a great colonizer then I would try the domed cities and other cheap stuff just to see what happens, but the Temp will kill you every time.

:laugh::D:D