Rolling Thunder Forums

Research Progress

Magus666

After just a few turn, Im showing "Good Progress" on most of the items I set for research. Im not exactly sure what that means though. Should I expect completion on these items in another turn or two or do I have several more "levels" of progress ( Early Stages --> Good Progress --> XXX --> YYY --> ZZZ) before they finish?

After just a few turn, Im showing "Good Progress" on most of the items I set for research. Im not exactly sure what that means though. Should I expect completion on these items in another turn or two or do I have several more "levels" of progress ( Early Stages --> Good Progress --> XXX --> YYY --> ZZZ) before they finish?

after good comes progressing well ... then final stages... and finally nearly completed. You will find that some techs take only 3 turns worth of research

with 1 RC before you get them and others take many turns using several.

:)

Here are my estimates of what each stage means

Early stages 0 to 25%

Good Progress 25 to 50%

Progressing Well 50 to 75%

Final Stages 75 to 90 (or 95)%

Nearly completed 90 (or 95) to 100%

This is based on observing them for nearly two years. It is a rough guideline and may be off by 5 or 10% but it can give you a crude idea of how long your research should take.

And you may skip stages, particulary nearly completed. Just watch the length of the arrows grow (VERY SLOWLY!).

Octus

That depends on the level of the techs. Later generation techs could lose a race to molasses in January.

Speaking of which, did you hear about the turtle who was beaten up by a gang of snails. When the police asked the turtle what happened, he said he wasnt sure because it all happened so fast. :D

OK enough levity, back to the research thread.

It doesn't matter what it says. HTey only important things is how many dashes you see. Each 2 dashes counts as 10% so good progress with 6 dashes means that you are 30% complete.

:D

I have also seen nearly complete and final stages for the same tech at the 90% complete stage.

It doesn't matter what it says.  HTey only important things is how many dashes you see.  Each 2 dashes counts as 10% so good progress with 6 dashes means that you are 30% complete.

I have also seen nearly complete and final stages for the same tech at the 90% complete stage.

Final Stages: 90% - 94%

Nearly Completed: 95% - 99%

Here are a couple of others as well:

20%

Early Stages: 20% - 24%

Good Progress: 25% - 29%

70%

Progressing Well: 70% - 74%

Final Stages: 75% +

It doesn't matter what it says.  HTey only important things is how many dashes you see.  Each 2 dashes counts as 10% so good progress with 6 dashes means that you are 30% complete.

20%

70%

No arguement with most of this.

But "Nearly Completed" is really best read as a measure of how much is left to do, rather than how much is completed. The best interpretation is: "You have one, or maybe two turns of research left to complete this project"

As evidence, I offer this: A project that requires only 3 RC turns to complete will show as "Nearly Completed" after two turns' effort, i.e. 67% done.

TErnest

20%

70%

No arguement with most of this.

But "Nearly Completed" is really best read as a measure of how much is left to do, rather than how much is completed. The best interpretation is: "You have one, or maybe two turns of research left to complete this project"

As evidence, I offer this: A project that requires only 3 RC turns to complete will show as "Nearly Completed" after two turns' effort, i.e. 67% done.

TErnest

Point!

Another point to keep in mind is that the research gas bar is 20 "tics" in length. you can get an idea of how far your research is by counting the tics. Aslo, nearly complete means that your usually at 19 tics

Good Cheer,

Rick

I've had something sitting at zero ticks for two turns, is this something that happens with higher level techs?

Yeah, that means that you are still < 10% complete. Higher techs require around 50 turns of research for a standard RB empire. So if you have a single RC on the tech it will take about 5 turns to get to 10%. I would imagine that you would see advancement in about 3 turns if the code is using normal rules of rounding or in 5 turns if it truncates.

:python::oops:

Another point to keep in mind is that the research gas bar is 20 "tics" in length. you can get an idea of how far your research is by counting the tics. Aslo, nearly complete means that your usually at 19 tics

Good Cheer,

Rick

I've had something sitting at zero ticks for two turns, is this something that happens with higher level techs?

Unfortunately yes.

Good Cheer,

Rick

Unfortunately yes.

Even worse for 4 G and later techs it can sit there for as long as 3 to 5 turns depending on your research bonuses.

Good Cheer,

Rick

Unfortunately yes.

Even worse for 4 G and later techs it can sit there for as long as 3 to 5 turns depending on your research bonuses.

We hand out free drinks at the closest Star Bar whenever one of those 4G or later projects gets a new tick mark. The populace thinks we are very stingy, since these don't happen often enough....

Two drinks will be given out when Species Engineering finishes up. Some of the bonus will be used to improve the handling of enjoyable intoxicants so the happiness will last longer and the hang over will be briefer. (Hope to increase population growth as a side benefit...)

:P

Octus