Rolling Thunder Forums

Advanced Installations

Magus666

So, Im looking at the materials required for a particular type of Ground Unit...specifically the Medical Unit. 1 Trooper....no problem. 50,000 Steel...check. 50,000 Food Concentrates...got it. 150,000 Pharmaceuticals....uh oh.

Lets look at the old chart...to make 1 Pharmaceutical I need to convert 3 Rare Herbs and Spices. So thats 450,000 Pharmaceuticals. Well thats not TOO bad....except that not one single planet that I have colonized or even GEO'd has a SINGLE point of yeild in Rare Herbs and Spices. That means its ALL gotta come from RMs....4.5 Million tons of industrial capacity.

I HOPE theres a better way. I know with suitable technologies there are advanced installations like the Fuel Distillation Complex and Orbital Crystal Refinery, which can turn either RMs or other base materials into a usable product at a better ratio. Has anyone found any that can produce Pharmaceuticals or other odd end products from unexpected or more readily available materials? (Perhaps the Soylent Green Factory which converts 1 Population into 50,000 Food Concentrates? )

So, Im looking at the materials required for a particular type of Ground Unit...specifically the Medical Unit. 1 Trooper....no problem.  50,000 Steel...check. 50,000 Food Concentrates...got it. 150,000 Pharmaceuticals....uh oh.

Lets look at the old chart...to make 1 Pharmaceutical I need to convert 3 Rare Herbs and Spices. So thats 450,000 Pharmaceuticals. Well thats not TOO bad....except that not one single planet that I have colonized or even GEO'd has a SINGLE point of yeild in Rare Herbs and Spices. That means its ALL gotta come from RMs....4.5 Million tons of industrial capacity.

I HOPE theres a better way. I know with suitable technologies there are advanced installations like the Fuel Distillation Complex and Orbital Crystal Refinery, which can turn either RMs or other base materials into a usable product at a better ratio. Has anyone found any that can produce Pharmaceuticals or other odd end products from unexpected or more readily available materials? (Perhaps the Soylent Green Factory which converts 1 Population into 50,000 Food Concentrates? )

I am not aware of any factories that specifically allow you to produce Pharmaceuticals.

While 150000 Pharmaceuticals sounds like a lot of capacity, that is only about 4% of your starting turns Industrial Capacity and ~5% of your stripmine output (both per turn). If that is too much capacity, then you can fairly easily research your way to improved facilities which provides the additional benefit of generating additional Construction Materials for use in your colonies.

Oh, I agree that it is only a small portion of my capacity. I currently am working towards the IIC and ISM, but they are still a ways off. Still, my point wasn't that I COULDN'T produce the needed materials from RMs, but just that I was looking to see if there was a more EFFICIENT means of doing so.

Also too, I don't know if this is a normal ratio, but about 90% of my industrial capacity is TOOLED builds. So, while 5 million tons of industrial capacity to create 150,000 tons of Pharmacueticals may only be about 4% of my TOTAL capacity, it also represents 40% of my AVAILABLE capacity. For an item I need to build rarely, this would not be a problem, but if I decide I need Pharmacueticals more often, it then becomes a serious production issue.

Oh, I agree that it is only a small portion of my capacity. I currently am working towards the IIC and ISM, but they are still a ways off.  Still, my point wasn't that I COULDN'T produce the needed materials from RMs, but just that I was looking to see if there was a more EFFICIENT means of doing so.

Also too, I don't know if this is a normal ratio, but about 90% of my industrial capacity is TOOLED builds. So, while 5 million tons of industrial capacity to create 150,000 tons of Pharmacueticals may only be about 4% of my TOTAL capacity, it also represents 40% of my AVAILABLE capacity. For an item I need to build rarely, this would not be a problem, but if I decide I need Pharmacueticals more often, it then becomes a serious production issue.

I have over 99.5% of my Industrial Capacity tooled. There is always a tension between what I want to do and the capacity I have to do it with.

We have quite a few colonies with rare herbs & spices, some with yields in the 400's. We really would like to trade pharmaceuticals (or improved pharmaceuticals for imperial medical centres) for improved or advanced steel.

Kind regards,