Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 70 - The End

cd_ernst

Hurrah, hurrah,

I'm still standing!

I even got all my home territory and then some! My last conquest gives me a lot of pleasure: xBergen, turn 73..... :o

That's what happens to agressors who keep bombing innocent people to the end: they lose their home territory... :cheers:

If I'm right there are less than 10 countries left. I wonder who they are.

Greetings,

Don

Well,

Great Britain also survicved the game... more or less intact.

Although I got kicked out of France and Lowlands and Italy, I had a great game.

Thanks everybody!

Hopefully, next time I can retain my conquered territory...

Norbert

Well, I can't say that game 73 is over for me since I still have to play 1 more turn. But it has been fun. Too bad about Norway. It seems him and his alliance never did learn proper tactics. It was fun helping Poland blow up 18 division stacks all over the Baltic States that were on defense in cities. Funny thing is I guess they thought we would stay there and keep sieging when all we did was go around them to isolate the city them come back and kill it later. I guess they must read a lot of French combat doctrine.

Good luck in future games to everyone!

-Andy Brogan aka Bulgaria 73

Hey Andy,

I think you mean 1 more turn to play for Bulgaria70...

Norbert

Yes you are correct. I am in game 73 also so I get the numbers mixed up at times. I can't believe that we are done in the game, seems just like yesterday I was getting back-stabbed by my allies :thumbsup:

-Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy,

Indeed a shame that the game has ended. You gave us a beating, again...!!

I hope to give you one someday! Ah well, practice makes perfect!

Are you in 77?

Greetings,

Don.

I just got into game 78, and with 73 those are my only active games. I must say that game 70 was the best I have ever done by a long shot, and I have no one to blame but my team :) We hung together when it looked real bleak not once but 2 times. What a blast!

-Andy Brogan

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Game 70 is over, I think that the 3 Stooges (Morocco, Portugal and Spain) owe an explanation to the players of Algeria (and subsequently, Persia), Libya and Tunisia of what happened to their group mid-way through the game.

At that point, they had over-run Algeria and Tunisia, were halfway across Libya and were inflicting terrible losses on the surviving Libyan ground and air forces.

So, come on you blokes, tell us what happened!

Why did you (or some of you) give up when, collectively, you were on top of the world?

Now that Game 70 is over, I think that the 3 Stooges (Morocco, Portugal and Spain) owe an explanation to the players of Algeria (and subsequently, Persia), Libya and Tunisia of what happened to their group mid-way through the game.

At that point, they had over-run Algeria and Tunisia, were halfway across Libya and were inflicting terrible losses on the surviving Libyan ground and air forces.

Why did you (or some of you) give up when, collectively, you were on top of the world?

Hi Des,

Well, nothing magical to be honest. It came down to a combination of real live interferences with getting bored in a time wasting drag of having to put in each turn 90 to 120 orders. And if they were all just EM orders it would be fine, but most of them were long scripts of MCR or OMA SR orders etc etc.

Basically the game evolved in a logistical proces which wasn't appealing to me anymore, so there was not much needed to just step over the line and stop the game. This experience let to my conclusion that Victory! is a great! game, but within certain borders. For me goes, keep is small and simple and that means I will never play one of the Russia's for example.

But this is one opinion only, not a statement of thruth. I know others like the logistical challenge and wouldn't want something else.

As to game 70, it was a terrific game and I was glad we had resistance all the way till I gave up. Without the possibility to have a fight I would have dropped even earlier. My thanks go out to Algeria, Tunisia and Libya for having a great game. I learned many things!!

Des, did you manage to get to xCasablanca?

Hersir

It's Maarten, right?

Thanks for the response.

I guess different people have different expectations and different likes and dislikes.

That's why VICTORY appeals to so many gamers.

Thanks for making Game 70 such a challenge.

The first half of the game when I was playing Algeria was the most intense action I have ever experienced in VICTORY.

When I finally dropped Algeria and took over Persia in Turn 35, the biggest challenge I faced was logistics.

Edwin had done a fantastic job of building Persia into a huge, sprawling empire.

By Turn 44, I had about 250 armoured divisions moving through Trans-Jordan, Egypt and Libya towards the front in mid-Libya.

And yes, I captured xCasablanca on Day 15 of Turn 73, the last day of the last Turn, so it would not have shown up on many players Recent World Events.

Best wishes for future games.

Hi Guys,

I haven't forgotten, I just keep not getting to it as one thing or another pops up and time, as I've increasingly noticed with age, flies by... I'll do my best to get it done sometime this week. My apologies for the delay.

Russ

Basically the game evolved in a logistical proces which wasn't appealing to me anymore, so there was not much needed to just step over the line and stop the game. This experience let to my conclusion that Victory! is a great! game, but within certain borders. For me goes, keep is small and simple and that means I will never play one of the Russia's for example.

But this is one opinion only, not a statement of thruth. I know others like the logistical challenge and wouldn't want something else.

Hersir

I can affirm/expand upon Hersir's remarks.

In the Portugese case I dropped because I was for denied the presence of my two key TA's due to their individual and serious personal issues. I became the last domino in the chain and my desire to drop was overpowering. Without them I had no choice except to attack my old TA's and capture their homelands while the bulk of my assets were in undefendable forward, exposed postions. My supply lines to the front were entirely by sea routes against land based foes. I could have lasted until the end of the game but having lost the the two primary cogs in what had been a finely tuned machine, my desire to continue faded. I had my fun, the hard boring work of finishing the game just didn't appeal to me. I wanted to finish with my mates or not at all.

It was also clear that the Portugese position was the weakest of the three players due to geography and economy. Attacking my old TA's was the only way to overcome those twin obstacles.

It was a great deal of fun. I commend you for a great resurection as the Persian and Canadian Warlord. Good luck on becoming Best Perisa!

Moe

Portu70

G'day. It's Steve, right?

Sincere thanks for adding your clarification to the record.

In the first third of the game, when the three of you were beating the crap out of Algeria, Libya and Tunisia, I always felt that it was Portugal that was the principal driving force behind your group.

I sensed that the Potuguese player was unusually aggressive and was instilling (or attempting to instill) these qualities in his TAs.

Thanks for an intense game.

As for making the Hall of Fame, I think that the final scores for Persia in the area of ground, sea and air kills were disappointingly low and will keep it out of the record book for Game 70.

Best wishes

Des Feeney