Rolling Thunder Forums

Advice for new players

Drake892

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in playing SuperNova but I thought I would get some player input before deciding to play or how/what to decide to play.

Does anyone have any tips for a new player coming into this game? Also, what do you like or dislike about SuperNova?

Thanks,

Drake

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in playing SuperNova but I thought I would get some player input before deciding to play or how/what to decide to play.

Does anyone have any tips for a new player coming into this game? Also, what do you like or dislike about SuperNova?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake, this is a complex game so my first tip is read through this Forum. People are pretty helpful and have posted lots of useful information so I think you will find most of your questions answered in this section and the Rules and Mechanics section.

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Drake

Check out the player generated newsletter, the boards, and read the rules.

Come on in!

The player community here is great. A few of us wrestle verbally on here but there isn't a terrible amount of flaming that goes on.

The game is spreadsheet intensive. Setting up the spreadsheet or learning the basics of production are the biggest hurdles to a new player.

The good news is that if you mess up in the beginning, it isnt the end of the world. The two week cycle and the gradual pace of the game allow players to rectify mistakes.

Don't expect to bump into an established position, either. "Newbies" are *usually* clumped together (very rare instance you might get linked up next to someone who has been around a little longer) and you have virtually no chance of bumping into core players within your first year(s) of play.

Save some SRPs on lifeform design. Straight humans aren't a bad way to go, by the way.

There is a similar thread on advice that should be buried in this forum, or in the Rules forum.

The newsletter has been fun to publish as we've had some great contributions, again, a reflection on the quality of the poeple who play this crazy game :angry2:

If you decide to join, let us know, as I'm sure you'll get bombarded with helpful tips.

Lastly, keep asking questions. We are all still learning. There really is no such thing as a stupid question for SNROTE, as it is a challenging game to learn. Once you learn the ropes, the game flows nicely <_<

Hey Drake892,

I'm a new player too, so I did some of my own research, before joining the game.

Here are some good threads for you...

- From Panzers to Planet Crackers

- I am new to supernova

- Helpful information for new players

That should get you started.

Contact me, if you want to learn more involved and/or complex subjects.

I can also direct you to veteran players, that are freindly with new empires.

Regards,

Krysia's Krusader

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions and offers of advice. :) The game looks like it might be too complicated for me but hopefully all the info and spreadsheets that have been posted will help me sift through the numbers a bit. I'll probably still give SuperNova a chance either way as I like the concept. I'll get back to you as soon as I send in my race. Wish me luck!

Drake

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions and offers of advice. :cheers: The game looks like it might be too complicated for me but hopefully all the info and spreadsheets that have been posted will help me sift through the numbers a bit. I'll probably still give SuperNova a chance either way as I like the concept. I'll get back to you as soon as I send in my race. Wish me luck!

Drake

Trust me when I say that SuperNova is a game of baby steps for all newcomers. When I did my first turn, which took hours of thumbing through the rule book and the turn sheet, I was all 'What the heck I gotten myself into!' Now, I can complete my turn in under hour.

Fortunately, the one thing the game gives you plenty of is time. I'm 30 turns in and I still have to come across any other neighbouring empire, although I'm cautiously and slowly expanding outward. What will I meet out in deep space, a lone Pathfinder or a Battleship? :)

As you can tell, the people here are very helpful and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. Trust me, I sure did. <_<

I'm 30 turns in and I still have to come across any other neighbouring empire, although I'm cautiously and slowly expanding outward. What will I meet out in deep space, a lone Pathfinder or a Battleship?

Don't worry Neil I was about thirty turns in when I met my first PC Empire. I am now over 50 in and I have just met my second. :)

I'm 30 turns in and I still have to come across any other neighbouring empire, although I'm cautiously and slowly expanding outward. What will I meet out in deep space, a lone Pathfinder or a Battleship?

Don't worry Neil I was about thirty turns in when I met my first PC Empire. I am now over 50 in and I have just met my second. :cheers:

Unless you are Justinian and end up being attacked by 3 empires. :blink:

I'm amazed he's still hanging in there. I might have become frustrated and quit after getting triple teamed. At least he's got some help now in evening up the odds. :)

Another friendly advice... Make Friends! <_<

I just met my first empire 2 turns ago and have processed my 32nd turn. I am not sure wether it is still played or of it is a dropped position. So far, all channels remain quiet...

If you meet a battleship sized explorer without weapons, you know you've found me...

Ever expanding outwards...

Calamaran.

Turn 39 and no neighbors yet. Which brings up the question, how do you know when you've found someone?

Finding another empires fleet would be a sure sign, but if you SS a system that has a colony in it, will it show, or do you have to PMAP or ORB for it?

Turn 39 and no neighbors yet. Which brings up the question, how do you know when you've found someone?

Finding another empires fleet would be a sure sign, but if you SS a system that has a colony in it, will it show, or do you have to PMAP or ORB for it?

Most likey you would have to do a Orbital Reconnaissance (ORB). That order detect cities or anything else on the planet's surface. System Scan (SS) just detects planets and warp points and determines their locations, orbits, atomsphere, etc. but not what might be on them.

I just hope that if I run into somebody, they'll avoid the use of weapons fire as a form of I see you. :)

Both the PMAP and ORB orders will turn up any empires that have dropped onto that particular bit of rock, the downside is you need to send a fleet to that particular bit of rock before you can do that. Little tidbits from the older empires have however trickled down indicating the system probe, which tells you which if any planets in the system have colonys on them. :)

I would have to agree with everyone else the best thing to do is to read through the forums, there are many valuble nuggets of information to be found within the thousands of post that have been accumulating on the forums. I failed to read the forums in much detail before starting and have suffered from a few little mistakes in when I did my setup, though having a feline squirrel humonid, that's highly intelegent and can probably slice and dice most other races their likly to come accross, while been able to survie on any bit of rock they run accross does have its advantages. :cheers:

Sir Smeg <_<

Iv'e always found that pmaps work fine when your in the same orbit, regardles of whether its the main body or one of the moons, which does help keep those orders to a minimum. :cheers:

Alas the only primitives iv'e managed to find has been an advanced neutral in my home system, let that be a leason to everyone out there that pmaping all the planets and moons in your home system early on is probably a good thing, and not waiting for 23 turns like I did. <_<

Sir Smeg :)