Rolling Thunder Forums

Linear Accelerator

Magus666

Ive seen several posts regarding Linear Accelerators and Colonization. After some searching though, I havent been able to find anything regarding just what a Linear Accelerator does, or how one goes about building one (IE, what techs are needed).

Given that this is an Installation, and apparently gives some benefit to colonization, I am going to guess that it is actually NOT a "linear accelerator" as the term is commonly used (for particle research) and is, in fact a MASS accelerator, or mass driver, using magnetic fields to fling stuff into space (thus the utility in in-system colonization). Given THIS, I will further guess that Advanced Superconductors are needed to build this installation?

If anyone would like to clarify this a little, I would be very grateful.

It's a science installation much like the other ones. You build one per system and it will help (in theory :) ) your scientists achieve the much vaunted research hits. Costs 500 conmat.

Linear Accelerator: Linear Accelerators are used for advanced high energy physics experiements, and are best constructed on geologically stable worlds with low radiation counts so as to preserve the accuracy of the scientific work conducted therein. Production requirements: 500 Construction Materials Consumes: <nothing>

Cheers

/Locklyn

You'll have to do some research.  Maybe someone will give you the full anz, but I suggest looking into some of your horizen techs.

The Linear Accelerator installation, formerly impossible to research, has been given the prerequisite of 3rd Generation Space Science - if you have that technology, you can build Linear Accelerators.

Straight from the mouth of Pete (or is that the fingers of Pete?). Change occured 26th Jan 2006 along when characters also got a boost.

Magus666 just in case you weren't in game then:

Administrators, who use their skills to resolve disputes, solve problems and in general make sure that everything runs smoothly.

Army Commanders, who train local civilians to become militia or police forces, and who are the overall ground military commanders in case of riot or other major civilian unrest situations.

Diplomats, who use their outstanding negotiating skills to resolve legal disputes both small and large.

Martial Artists, who take command of police and special operations teams to take out criminal elements, eliminate indenous hostile predators, and generally provide top notch security for the colony.

Merchants, who act as quartermasters for the colony and manage to get all manner of interesting items into the hands of those who need them; if a colonist needs something, however rare, the twitching tentacles of the Merchant can obtain it....

Religious Leaders, who not only provide spiritual guidance and moral support for their followers, but do what they can to aid and comfort the colony at large.

Special Agents, who infiltrate insurgent cells, assassinate subversive elements and generally conduct all manner of 'Black Ops' missions in total secrecy.

Eternus- did this make it into the 'Board' Document?

• 2 weeks later...
You'll have to do some research.  Maybe someone will give you the full anz, but I suggest looking into some of your horizen techs.

The Linear Accelerator installation, formerly impossible to research, has been given the prerequisite of 3rd Generation Space Science - if you have that technology, you can build Linear Accelerators.

Straight from the mouth of Pete (or is that the fingers of Pete?). Change occured 26th Jan 2006 along when characters also got a boost.

Magus666 just in case you weren't in game then:

Administrators, who use their skills to resolve disputes, solve problems and in general make sure that everything runs smoothly.

Army Commanders, who train local civilians to become militia or police forces, and who are the overall ground military commanders in case of riot or other major civilian unrest situations.

Diplomats, who use their outstanding negotiating skills to resolve legal disputes both small and large.

Martial Artists, who take command of police and special operations teams to take out criminal elements, eliminate indenous hostile predators, and generally provide top notch security for the colony.

Merchants, who act as quartermasters for the colony and manage to get all manner of interesting items into the hands of those who need them; if a colonist needs something, however rare, the twitching tentacles of the Merchant can obtain it....

Religious Leaders, who not only provide spiritual guidance and moral support for their followers, but do what they can to aid and comfort the colony at large.

Special Agents, who infiltrate insurgent cells, assassinate subversive elements and generally conduct all manner of 'Black Ops' missions in total secrecy.

Eternus- did this make it into the 'Board' Document?

Hmmmm I don't think so.

That doc needs a serious update...but time.....tiiiiiime....I need more TIME!!!!! :cheers:

Odd. I would swear that I saw some posts a while back about Linear Accelerators helping colonization, but I can't find them now.

Still, I think the idea of a Mass Accelerator Installation would be pretty cool. The ability to just...FLING...materials from one orbit to another. (Gotta be pretty accurate with them of course) Oh, and they make great weapons too...

Odd. I would swear that I saw some posts a while back about Linear Accelerators helping colonization, but I can't find them now.

Still, I think the idea of a Mass Accelerator Installation would be pretty cool. The ability to just...FLING...materials from one orbit to another. (Gotta be pretty accurate with them of course) Oh, and they make great weapons too...

From time to time, you may see a post from players who are either out of their mind, or attempting to mislead others. If you read something about Linear Accelerators on the boards doing something other than the INST posting from Locklyn, then it is wrong.

I wood have to agree with Lord Uriel,

While there are certainly several golden nuggets of information on these boards, like the internet, the great bulk of it can be described as junk, usefull junk but still junk. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone through every message on the supernova boards looking for that elusive clue as I search for the ultimate thing. (most people would call this Dyson Sphere Construction :cheers: )

:cheers:

I wood have to agree with Lord Uriel,

While there are certainly several golden nuggets of information on these boards, like the internet, the great bulk of it can be described as junk, usefull junk but still junk.  I have lost count of the number of times I have gone through every message on the supernova boards looking for that elusive clue as I search for the ultimate thing. (most people would call this Dyson Sphere Construction  :cheers: )

:cheers:

There is also Ringworld Construction. I dont think anyone knows what the research path for these is but I do know that players have had this tech mentioned during Exploration hits so it apparently does exist.