Rolling Thunder Forums

Star League Obituary

Ur Lord Tedric

It is time to say farewell to a game I have loved for nearly 4 years. My thanks to Pete & Russ for continuing to keep it going through all their own difficulties.

It is a wonderfully complex and deep game, even with the occasional glitch :blush: , and I know of nothing out there to match it. It is not a game for the faint-hearted by any means. I spent 4 years on it and would have spent at least 6 more had that proved possible.

I joined a wonderfully visionary alliance and made many new aquaintances, some of whom I've even now managed to meet in person. I was also given trust by a great many of them and have subsequently been given masses of turnsheets of data for which I thank them. It certainly allowed me to appreciate what Pete has done even more.

But I did embrace the game completely and dedicated my main empire to the goals of that alliance. Sadly it therefore became vulnerable. The absolute best way to play this game is in co-operation. Some are just lucky, or have sadly swapped empires, to enable themselves to 'play with themselves', but it is much more interesting to have true multi-player play.

However, it only then takes one player to throw a temper tantrum and make your empire unplayable.

However, I must return the trust given to me with honour and loyalty and thus I must bar myself from playing, in case I could ever be lead into abusing that trust.

Thus it is farewell. I may, when the shock of what has happened in the last week fades, look in on these boards every now and again to see how you all fare. To those of you who have made the game so interesting over the last 4 years, and again to Pete and Russ, I thank you.

It may only be a game - but, my goodness, what a game.

Regards Mark

Requiem In Pace

Ur-Lord Tedric and the entire Conclave of the Star League

Stabbed in the back........

Also - Clan Elder Giff'ar and the Nest of the Valar'i

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is time to say farewell to a game I have loved for nearly 4 years.  My thanks to Pete & Russ for continuing to keep it going through all their own difficulties.

It is a wonderfully complex and deep game, even with the occasional glitch :blush: , and I know of nothing out there to match it.  It is not a game for the faint-hearted by any means.  I spent 4 years on it and would have spent at least 6 more had that proved possible.

I joined a wonderfully visionary alliance and made many new aquaintances, some of whom I've even now managed to meet in person.  I was also given trust by a great many of them and have subsequently been given masses of turnsheets of data for which I thank them.  It certainly allowed me to appreciate what Pete has done even more.

But I did embrace the game completely and dedicated my main empire to the goals of that alliance.  Sadly it therefore became vulnerable.  The absolute best way to play this game is in co-operation.  Some are just lucky, or have sadly swapped empires, to enable themselves to 'play with themselves', but it is much more interesting to have true multi-player play.

However, it only then takes one player to throw a temper tantrum and make your empire unplayable.

However, I must return the trust given to me with honour and loyalty and thus I must bar myself from playing, in case I could ever be lead into abusing that trust.

Thus it is farewell.  I may, when the shock of what has happened in the last week fades, look in on these boards every now and again to see how you all fare.  To those of you who have made the game so interesting over the last 4 years, and again to Pete and Russ, I thank you.

It may only be a game - but, my goodness, what a game.

Regards  Mark

Requiem In Pace

Ur-Lord Tedric and the entire Conclave of the Star League

Stabbed in the back........

Also - Clan Elder Giff'ar and the Nest of the Valar'i

ULT I am sorry that you feel you have to go. Your wisdom and willingness to help explain the mysteries fo the game made it easier to play when I was a newbie and your leaving is a loss for this community.

UrLord. I do not know the details of what happened but based on your post it appears that an alliance mate or mates have decided that you do not need to run your main empire and have backstabbed you and taken over what was once yours.

Certainly this is your decision but perhaps you should give it a few weeks to let things settle. Have you lost your setup entirely? Do you not have any alliance mates that are trustworthy that can come to your aid? Is that not the reason to be in an alliance, to give and receive aid when needed? Just because one or two "friends" have decided to do you harm does not mean that your entire alliance has turned on you.

Also you mention that your main empire was backstabbed. Can one of your other empires come to the aid of the main?

You do not express a dislike for the game in your obituary and in fact seem to still be impressed by it. That being the case you should not let a couple of bad apples ruin your experience. Link up with your non-backstabber alliance mates and get your empire back. If you were backstabbed do not show the weasels any mercy, do unto them as was done unto you!

I concur with Jodookus.

It sounds to me that you are suffering through the grief of the loss of your empire, and the betrayal of your "allies." I have seen it before many times, in myself, and amoung my fellow gamers. (And likely, you have already experienced it in the past, yourself.)

Jodookus gives good advice, providing you have the desire to see it through. I suggest that you ride out your grief (at least through the so-called "depression" stage) before turning in your position's "keys" to Pete. Once you come out the other side, examine Jodookus' suggestions for merit.

Then, if dropping out still seems for the best, by all means do so. But the game will be dimished by the loss of your voice. You would be greatly missed.

TErnest

I thank you all for your kind words - but this was not a betrayl of information or military action - you are all thinking of the 'obvious'.

No names, no pack drill..... :blush:

There was the big, all encompassing, alliance of vision and purpose...

There was also the regional alliance of which the Star League was a part. I was very lucky to finally meet up with people who were in both.

With unified vision and purpose we meshed the research and economics of our local empires to our mutual benefit. We committed ourselves to the eradication of the Evil One - our enemy MMB :P

After 4 years and over two of complete synergy, there are whole tech lines that the Star League haven't researched, because they received them in trade.

Whilst there had existed some moderate amount of tension as exists in any such alliance of equals over those two years, we had bound ourselves in loyalty.

Now, this is only a game when all is said and done, but it is a very long and very expensive game. 1000's of real dollars and 100's of man-hours spent on it.

Real life will always take priority - but no RL exigency (certainly in my world) would result in a terse general message that you were dropping everything you had committed yourself too - passing one empire to an almost unknown person and others just dropped - without some effort to mitigate the effect and at least communicate with those you have unified yourself with for so long.

But this is what happened to the Star League. The empire is completely intact - there is nothing at all wrong with it - except that it is now unplayable in that condition.

All my efforts over those years were just dumped on.

I committed myself, perhaps too much, to the alliance vision I was sold nearly 4 years ago, by one player who was such a visionary. I had assumed that those who joined him with me and to whom I bound myself were also so committed.

It seems I was wrong - and it only took one person's actions to prove so. Only friends can cause so much damage.

It is not the fact that the empire was summarily trashed - it was the way it was done. The fact that this person can happily continue in the game with other positions is even worse.....

I can no longer give freely of my skills and total loyalty to the pan-alliance to which I was a part when my own personal reason for playing was so treated. I can no longer justify the spending of additional 100's of dollars in trying to bring the Star League back to the level it had already achieved once through co-operation.

Those who truly co-operate will survive the longest in this game - but I will never again be able to trust someone else enough as they could trust me and thus there is no more reason to play for me.

Equally, many people trusted me with their information and thus I will not play at all in case there was any danger, or even thought that I could compromise my integrity.

For words like honour, loyalty and integrity mean something to me - sadly it doesn't seem to work both ways...... :(

Sincerely

Mark

This is a difficult game, and I speak of beyond the bi-weekly imput of orders.

I concur with all those who say that perhaps a little time is needed to allow the fog to clear. Certainly communication helps.

That this is a game means that there are people out there behind the fictional empires, and I believe that these people are willing to listen, and indeed will assist you in making the game enjoyable for all concerned. While the empire may be evil, the player will almost certainly not be so. I would suggest contacting the players involved to simply discuss what each wants from the game, and how this may mutually be acheived.

The continuing existance of the Gosht Kohr is proof that dialog between players during stressful situations can solve problems.

If you do still intend on leaving, then know that I too have considered your input and dialog on these boards to have been an asset to the game. May you fare well wherever you may fare, and may we meet again.

So, somebody did something you didn't like? And it doesn't impact you? And you're dropping because of it?

Well, I say you should invoke Article III, Paragraph 1, sub-paragraph B, Clause 4.

" ... A member of the Star League may declare open and unrestricted warfare upon another member if said member has violated the rights or financial prosperity of a member of the Star League, or of a neutral trading partner, ...

if, said member has been officially asked to cease and desist all actions considered detrimental to the general properity."

See also

Resolution 5. Refering to the ongoing issue of commerce raiding by unnamed parties

"... If a Star League member actively defies the directives of the General Assembly, It's government shall be voided, and a peace keeping force shall install a transitional government, by force if necessary..."

As in the RL, if someone does something you don't like, and the courts can't help you, then DECLARE WAR!

Lord Uriel

I think situations like this is what makes PBM's far superior to computer games (Im defiantly a cup is half full kinda person!).

I totally understand how frustrating it can be to have carefully laid plans go down the pan, but thats what makes this game interesting, its unexpected but if you go with it who knows what will happen.

you now have to compensate for any tech loss, suddenly certain ships and components become very valuable to your empire, the need to find new trading partners and expand further becomes a priority, maybe declaring war and regaining your standing is needed etc. This could be the best thing that happened to your empire. Don't look at it as an end to everything you've built, but a chance to try something new.

There are so many computer games where you research A, Build B to defend, Build C to attack, you can easily follow a path to success once you know what to do and if it doesn't go the way you planned you just restart again.

However something like this you invest so much time, effort and money its seems such a shame to let someone else's action be the reason you drop, I say make it the reason you stay, that unpredictability factor that keeps things interesting.

Also from experience, you can never go back, something you've spent so much time on is hard to forget and if in a year or two you find yourself missing the whole experience you will find it really hard to create that same magic your current empire gave you.

Just my two cents!

Finally wanted to say, your contributions to the forum over the years have been a big help to me in researching this game, the forum will defiantly be at a loss in the future without your input!

thanks

Miltiades :]

So, somebody did something you didn't like?  And it doesn't impact you?  And you're dropping because of it?

Actually, if I read this correctly, he stated that he was dependent on at least one (and it seems to me, more than one) other race for certain techs, having bypassed those R&D branches to concentrate R&D in other areas for the betterment of the whole group. But, it now appears some of these players decided to drop with little or no notice. And at least one player gave their empire over to someone else so they could leave .. and the new owner has decided to run things differently (negating old trade agreements). And so, Ur Lord Tedric finds himself up the creek without a paddle. He has no access to certain advanced tech / items. My guess is he could forgo the items but that would leave his ships and military very weak. And the time to research it all himself would be so long that .. well, out of frustration over how everyone simply acted in their own intereste and ignored the group, and with such a tech challenge in front of him, he has decided to drop.

Is that essentially correct?

Well it seems that "the Evil One" has won afterall.

Goal for MMB

Oh this is just great. Now I guess we'll all have to teach our cudlings in school the MMB anthem to sing every morning. And then there's all that work implanting the Ident-a-track (patent pending) chips in everyone's cranial cavities.

Gee Tedric, can't you stay in long enough to throw all your last ships at MMB in one last glorious blast of death and destruction. And save us all from the singing and chips?

Well it seems that "the Evil One" has won afterall.

Goal for MMB

Oh this is just great. Now I guess we'll all have to teach our cudlings in school the MMB anthem to sing every morning. And then there's all that work implanting the Ident-a-track (patent pending) chips in everyone's cranial cavities.

Gee Tedric, can't you stay in long enough to throw all your last ships at MMB in one last glorious blast of death and destruction. And save us all from the singing and chips?

We are great! We are wonderful!

We are MMB!

Yo ho, yo ho! We are great! We are wonderful!