Rolling Thunder Forums

Help!?

heavyB

Can anybody explain this newbee how he gets his divisions from the troopberthings to invade the barbarians on the planet surface?

I tried screaming, salary increases, death warnings, but they won't move... :nuke:

seriously...how do you do an invasion? which order? or do i first have to make a pop center, send my troops down, create an army and than attack?

Erik

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody explain this newbee how he gets his divisions from the troopberthings to invade the barbarians on the planet surface?

I tried screaming, salary increases, death warnings, but they won't move... :nuke:

seriously...how do you do an invasion? which order? or do i first have to make a pop center, send my troops down, create an army and than attack?

Erik

1. COLB

-- wait a turn --

2. OC divisions into new popgroup

3. NEWA

4. DIV all divisions into the bew army

5. assign leaders to army

-- build some support buildings if you like --

6. GATK

thats it.

I tried screaming, salary increases, death warnings, but they won't move... :python:

Erik

1. COLB

-- wait a turn --

2. OC divisions into new popgroup

3. NEWA

4. DIV all divisions into the bew army

5. assign leaders to army

-- build some support buildings if you like --

6. GATK

thats it.

And if I remember correctly Pete will prevent your army from being attacked until it is formed to avoid the defender from exploiting this process. At least I hope that is what Pete does. :santa:

Another (unrelated) newbie question.

What should a beginning ship designed for exploration (EXPL type expoloration) look like -- a computer, an engine, sensors (do multiple Mk I's help?) and cargo holds? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

Seems you mean ground exploration.

At least 25000 Cargo holds, a figter bay and a drone rack.  Sensors and survey landers.

Computer is not needed.

Universal translatiors may help, too.

Note that sensors and survey gear increase the chance of a find. But the quality of the find appears to be related to your tech level. IE .. no finding NTWX-8000 Planetcracker bombs laying about the planet as you start. Also, a the more find hits on the planet, the greater the odds over time of getting anything. Pretty quickly, the planet becomes a dry hole with nothing left to give (the ORB order will give an indication of how well explored the planet is .. bigger planets appear to take longer).

Lastly, make sure you place a colony on the world with a COLB. Even if the only thing there is the colony (no POP), you can set-up your automated explores to do an OC to the planet after each explore. Transwarp drives and Plasma Torpedos come it at 25,000 tons each. And with 2AP ships, 2 XEXPL could result in you losing such a find if you did not do an XOC after each XEXPL.

Thank you for all the help on EXPL -- now for a totally different question. I am on my second turn so just trying to get my arms around this game and do some planning.

Once I can manufacture Improved steel, lumber, construction materials ..... do I have to continue to produce both regular and improved or can I substitute the improved version when making basic things i.e could I use Improved Steel to make Cargo Bays and Improved Construction Materials to build stripmines? Would I want to?

All these questions are already answered on these boards. Just search a bit.

On your question: no, you cannot substitute resources for each other.

Steel and Improved Steel are just different. So you need Steel for items that require Steel.

Improved or Advanced Steel won't work.

Seems you mean ground exploration.

At least 25000 Cargo holds, a figter bay and a drone rack.  Sensors and survey landers.

Computer is not needed.

Universal translatiors may help, too.

According to RTG long ago, the following Items all give positive modifiers to EXPL orders:

Universal Translator Device

Science Lab

Survey Lander

Short Range Sensor

Medium Range Sensor

Long Range Sensor

Mass Detector Sensor

SLY Intelligence Sensor Package

Picket Drone

Science Drone

Magnetic Grapple

Also, all types of Legendary Characters apparently give some sort of help, although what kind of help and to what degree has not been explained.

Thank you for all the help on EXPL -- now for a totally different question.  I am on my second turn so just trying to get my arms around this game and do some planning.

Once I can manufacture Improved steel, lumber, construction materials .....  do I have to continue to produce both regular and improved or can I substitute the improved version when making basic things i.e could I use Improved Steel to make Cargo Bays and Improved Construction Materials to build stripmines?  Would I want to?

I don't know of anyone who has found a use for Improved Timber. Improved CMs require the basic version. However, Advanced CMs require Advanced Timber, so you've got to do the Imp Tim research anyway. Just don't build any!

Octus

Thank you for all the help on EXPL -- now for a totally different question.  I am on my second turn so just trying to get my arms around this game and do some planning.

Once I can manufacture Improved steel, lumber, construction materials .....  do I have to continue to produce both regular and improved or can I substitute the improved version when making basic things i.e could I use Improved Steel to make Cargo Bays and Improved Construction Materials to build stripmines?   Would I want to?

I don't know of anyone who has found a use for Improved Timber. Improved CMs require the basic version. However, Advanced CMs require Advanced Timber, so you've got to do the Imp Tim research anyway. Just don't build any!

Octus

Duralog -- burns three times longer in your fireplace

Sigh ... I sorta of wish Pete would simply change Improved Construction Materials to require Improved Timber (as it was supposed too). By this point, as long as we knew it was coming ... everyone could plan ahead and change over.

Once I can manufacture Improved steel, lumber, construction materials .....  do I have to continue to produce both regular and improved or can I substitute the improved version when making basic things i.e could I use Improved Steel to make Cargo Bays and Improved Construction Materials to build stripmines?   Would I want to?

Octus

Duralog -- burns three times longer in your fireplace

Sigh ... I sorta of wish Pete would simply change Improved Construction Materials to require Improved Timber (as it was supposed too). By this point, as long as we knew it was coming ... everyone could plan ahead and change over.

Yes, need another reason to change the spreadsheets and introduce new errors! Just love hunting them down....

But you are right and a couple cycles lead time would be reasonable for planning and stockpiling purposes.

Octus

P.S. Duralog - never looked at it that way. :alien:

That would be nice.  I would finally get to use that stockpile of improved timber, talking millions here, that was at a recently aquired planet.  Otherwise it is just staring me in the face reminding me how much waste it is.

:P

You could always gift it to some neutral you want to join your empire. Along with all the consumer goods and luxury goods found laying around. I'm sure they'll appreciate such a WONDERFULLLY useful gift. :D