Rolling Thunder Forums

Unarmed Ship Set to ROE:Z

Prospective

Another question:

What happens if a Fleet is set to ROE:Z but it has no weapons? Will a combat initiate? Or does the lack of a weapon prevent it from initiating a combat? I want to set a tripwire in case a ship approaches my territory and gather knowledge about it's makeup, but the ones I created and already moved (mistakenly) have no weapons onboard. So, will it fight or not?

Another question: 

What happens if a Fleet is set to ROE:Z but it has no weapons?  Will a combat initiate?  Or does the lack of a weapon prevent it from initiating a combat?  I want to set a tripwire in case a ship approaches my territory and gather knowledge about it's makeup, but the ones I created and already moved (mistakenly) have no weapons onboard.  So, will it fight or not?

I would expect a combat to be triggered, and for you to lose.

Combat is triggered despite the ship's lack of weaponry. It will also force your other fleets that are present to join into the conflict. This is from first-hand experience; my additional ship that was drawn into combat was armed. It was also the only armed ship in the entire battle... Does that still count as a victory?

I will taunt you a second time, in an outrageous french accent!

I had a ship which bravely turned its tail and fled (and fled, and fled, and fled ...). Probably should have renamed the Captain Robin after that .

Anyway, a very rare result is a battle ends in a draw and the ship escapes. I have one example in all my encounters (basically it was an unarmed 100K explorer in deploy 12, versus a very lightly armed Corvette in deploy 12 .. I think the computer simply gave up adding up the piddly damage each round .. or Pete got tired of waiting for results).

Hmmm .. So lets say two unarmed ROE Z ships meet. At what point does the program go into an infinate loop, and the SN: ROTE processor lock up waiting for battle results.

Pete,

You said "It is possible for a fleet with an ROE of Z to not engage if all it has are ship(s) without any weapons..."

Does that mean that it is also possible to not engage if one fleet DOES have at least one weapon?

Thanks.

Only by error, which is generally my fault when there are confusing ROE settings or multiple empires at a location. The no-battle state for unarmed ships is rare but happens from time to time, and is unpredictible (you shouldn't be sending unarmed ships out on Z orders anyway -- an enemy Pathfinder might cause you some grief should you start the fight).