Rolling Thunder Forums

Mission Classes and Battle Formations

Drasn

I've noticed a discrepancy between my pre-existing Force Battle Plans, the NUD mission classes, and the FORM Battle Formations.

The Crystal Palace shows the NUD order supports Mission Classes of G, K, and P. It shows the FORM order supports the same Battle Formations. I'm under the impression that Mission Classes and Battle Formations are related. For example, if I create a ship with a mission class of A and assign it to a fleet then that fleet's FBP's Battle Formation A will determine what deploc the ship will be assigned to. Am I wrong about that?

Looking at the original FBPs we start with, G, K, and P are not there. When I tried to issue FORM orders setting G, K, and P Battle Formations they failed because they didn't already exist in the FBP.

The original FBPs do have C, F, M, and W though. Those don't seem to be valid Mission Classes or Battle Formations, so what are they?

Does anyone have any insight that might help clarify this confusing mess?

I've noticed a discrepancy between my pre-existing Force Battle Plans, the NUD mission classes, and the FORM Battle Formations.

The Crystal Palace shows the NUD order supports Mission Classes of G, K, and P. It shows the FORM order supports the same Battle Formations. I'm under the impression that Mission Classes and Battle Formations are related. For example, if I create a ship with a mission class of A and assign it to a fleet then that fleet's FBP's Battle Formation A will determine what deploc the ship will be assigned to. Am I wrong about that?

Looking at the original FBPs we start with, G, K, and P are not there. When I tried to issue FORM orders setting  G, K, and P  Battle Formations they failed because they didn't already exist in the FBP.

The original FBPs do have C, F, M, and W though. Those don't seem to be valid Mission Classes or Battle Formations, so what are they?

Does anyone have any insight that might help clarify this confusing mess?

This was the answer I got from Russ when I asked this question back when I was starting out.

Under the rules on The Space Fleet there are a set of letters signifying the formations of ships but these differ with those listed on the turn sheet under Force Battle Plan Report. In fact the letters C, F M and W are missing from the turn sheet while the Rules do not show G, K, P and T. Do these letters correspond to each other and is it possible to get a table to translate them?

Answer:

The correct formations are:

A, B, D, E, G, H, K, L, N, O, P, S, T, V, X, Y, Z

Version 2.5 of the rules should have the correct formations listed.

Thanks Ali. That's pretty much what I expected.

Since I had FORM orders fail trying to set some of those 'correct' formations, it's clear the game doesn't fully support them.

I've got a query off to Pete on the subject so hopefully he'll provide some more insight.

Thanks Ali. That's pretty much what I expected.

Since I had FORM orders fail trying to set some of those 'correct' formations, it's clear the game doesn't fully support them.

I've got a query off to Pete on the subject so hopefully he'll provide some more insight.

Post what you find out as I would be interested in hearing what his answer is.

Ok, Pete answered.

The correct list is A, B, D, E, G, H, K, L, N, O, P, S, T, V, X, Y, Z.

Since none of my FBPs had a G, K, or P he has offered to manually edit the database to correct that. He also offered to modify my ship mission classes, but I'm good there.

He said the A,B,C,D,E,F,H.L.M,N,O,S,V,W,X,Y,Z list came from a discrepancy between the Crystal Palace and the game code early on. I have to guess my 2 year old FBPs are a hold over from then.

Makes me wonder if newer player's FBPs are correct or still have the C, F, M, W entries.

In any case, looks like my problems should disappear next turn! :taz: