Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship design

Kevin.C

Yep,

its the ratio of tonnage/thrust. For Example, if you have a 10,000 ship with a thrust of 40,000 the AP would be 4 (10,000/40,000). You can have incremental fractions but it is rounded down for the AP calculation (i.e. 4.6 would translate to AP 4).

The minimum AP 2 so if your tonnage/thrust is below 2.0, the game computer will round it up to 2.0 for movement purposes. It will not round it up for combat purposes. In this way you can design an AP 2 cargo ship with a single thrust engine regardless of the thrust (or a warship for that matter).

Good Cheer,

Rick

Yep,

its the ratio of tonnage/thrust. For Example, if you have a 10,000 ship with a thrust of 40,000 the AP would be 4 (10,000/40,000). You can have incremental fractions but it is rounded down for the AP calculation (i.e. 4.6 would translate to AP 4).

The minimum AP 2 so if your tonnage/thrust is below 2.0, the game computer will round it up to 2.0 for movement purposes. It will not round it up for combat purposes. In this way you can design an AP 2 cargo ship with a single thrust engine regardless of the thrust (or a warship for that matter).

Good Cheer,

Rick

Thanks a million, Rick.

Can't wait to get my first turn. Should be tomorrow, I think.

Kevin

As a side note, it is mathematically impossible to get more than 2 APs on a useful ship with starting technology. Doesn't matter how many Mk I Nukes you put on there, you'll only get 2 APs.

On the flipside, if all you need is 2 APs for a given purpose (and you should only design ships for a specific purpose), don't bother putting on more advanced engines if you have Mk I Nukes lying around.

As a side note, it is mathematically impossible to get more than 2 APs on a useful ship with starting technology.  Doesn't matter how many Mk I Nukes you put on there, you'll only get 2 APs.

On the flipside, if all you need is 2 APs for a given purpose (and you should only design ships for a specific purpose), don't bother putting on more advanced engines if you have Mk I Nukes lying around.

Early Colony Ships are great candidates for the single Mk I Nuclear Engine option. IMO.

-SK :ninja:

Early Colony Ships are great candidates for the single Mk I Nuclear Engine option.  IMO.

Absolutely wonderful candidates - I couldn't agree more. Later on when you develop better engines, doubling the speed of your colony ships can be achieved with the engines and without doubling the size of the ship. This is a great way to get more bang for your buck out of the tonnage invested in colony betthings.