Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship building

Kevin.C

Like everyone else, I've got 10 shipyards to start off with. I get one slip "free". Does that mean if I want another slip I've got to build *2* slips in order to have 2 at my startup colony?

Also, do shipyards carry over their capacity into the next turn? For example, let's say I design a million ton freighter. My 10 shipyards have a 100,000 ton capacity. Could my shipyards work on nothing else for 10 turns and have the ship? Or must I build enough capacity to build the entire ship in one turn?

The above is only an example for now. :P

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Actually you should have gotten 100 shipyards at 10,000 ton capacity each. So you start with the ability to build 1,000,000 tons of shipping a turn. The number of slips represents the number of ships you can construct each turn. Your HW starts with 1 slip, any more you want you have to build. Same with shipyards.

Until you increase your capacity by adding shipyards then you can only churn out at the most a million tons a turn. If you put a 3 million ton ship there it will take 3 turns. If you put 3 10,000 tons ships there you can complete 1 a turn for 3 turns. Of course you can complete more by adding shipyard slips to increase the number of ships you can construct per turn but you should increase shipyards to increase capacity also. Be aware that shipyards require 100 power each so be careful building new yards without adding more power generators.

Both shipyard slips and shipyards are easy to increase using construction materials.

Hi Kevin,

Actually you should have gotten 100 shipyards at 10,000 ton capacity each.  So you start with the ability to build 1,000,000 tons of shipping a turn.  The number of slips represents the number of ships you can construct each turn.  Your HW starts with 1 slip, any more you want you have to build.  Same with shipyards.

Of course you're right; I started with 100, not 10, shipyards. Brain fart. :ranting:

And you answered my second question, but I'm still not clear on the slip issue. I understand how they work (each slip completes 1 ship per turn assuming I've got the shipyard production). However, I'm still not sure how many I need to build in order to get 2 slips.

I've got *no* slips now. At least, none show up on my turn. With any shipyards I get a "free" slip so I can complete at least 1 ship. So, if I build just 1 slip, I'll have just that single slip showing on my turn. Does that mean I'll be able to build 1 ship? Or 2 ships?

I suppose I could just try it. :)

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

If you look at your 'Colony Report' page, in the first box under the heading (where you should also find Pop Group number, how much spare population you have, etc.), you'll find ShipyardSlips. This tells you how many slips you have and therefore how many ships you can build per turn.

In the box below this, listing all the installations present on your colony, you'll find 100 Shipyards.

Hope this helps.......

Kevin,

If you look at your 'Colony Report' page, in the first box under the heading (where you should also find Pop Group number, how much spare population you have, etc.), you'll find ShipyardSlips.  This tells you how many slips you have and therefore how many ships you can build per turn.

In the box below this, listing all the installations present on your colony, you'll find 100 Shipyards.

Hope this helps.......

Ah, I see. I was looking for it in the Installations section.

Thanks,

Kevin

Personally, I would scrap a few of your Shipyards and build a few more Slips.

At the very least, build some more slips.

I left the shipyards alone expecting that at some point I will need the capacity.

Exactly- otherwise I'd be tempted to spend those ConMats on other things.

We find cathedrals are a good way to 'hold' excess conmats without holding too much of our population, too. Only takes a couple orders to convert 1 cathedral into 10 shipyards when it's time to build something large.